Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > how much drying time for a ink jet print?

how much drying time for a ink jet print?

GrailKing@oops!.Not.The.Realm.net

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 05:30:30 GMT, "tkranz" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>two days should be plenty - it's been a humid summer - sure it wasn't plain
>old condensation????
><GrailKing@oops!.Not.The.Realm.net> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> For my sister-inlaw on her 50th b-day I made three collages, I let
>> them dry two days then put them in frames, I noticed moisture against
>> the glass and started wondering if I should have waited longer before
>> I framed them. How long should it take for a print to dry so it is
>> safe for framing?
>>
>> GK
>> ===================================
>> Of Course The Address is Munged
>>
>> ===================================

Could be, dunno I will try some matte paper next.

GK
===================================
Of Course The Address is Munged

===================================

Mark

GrailKing@oops!.Not.The.Realm.net wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> For my sister-inlaw on her 50th b-day I made three collages, I let
> them dry two days then put them in frames, I noticed moisture against
> the glass and started wondering if I should have waited longer before
> I framed them. How long should it take for a print to dry so it is
> safe for framing?
>
> GK
> ===================================
> Of Course The Address is Munged
>
> ===================================

Finally, somthing I'm in expert in!! I work for a major printer
manufacture and have worked with many different photo printers. The
first thing to remember is DO NOT use the after market refill kits.
These refill kits use substandard inks. For our printers, I have
printed several 8x10 photos and immediently placed them in frames
without any problems. In fact, we try to rub them and get them to
smear after they are printed and as long as you use the proper ink,
you will be OK.

As for these refill kits. I know people think manufacture inks are a
rip off, but they are the best quality. The refill people use cheap
ink that will only last a few years. There is a huge difference in
quality.

Another problem you might have is paper quality. I only use Kodak
Photo paper. I've tested all brands and it seems Kodak is the best.

So, what brand of printer are you using? I have a feeling that it's an
older model. Non of the newer models i've tried have this problem.

Charlie D

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
GrailKing@oops!.Not.The.Realm.net wrote:

> For my sister-inlaw on her 50th b-day I made three collages, I let
> them dry two days then put them in frames, I noticed moisture against
> the glass and started wondering if I should have waited longer before
> I framed them. How long should it take for a print to dry so it is
> safe for framing?

One thought.
Where do you live and do you have air conditioning?

Here in the Eastern US it has been very damp.
Just yesterday I pulled an advertisement from outside
my front door and it was limp and soggy. It hasn't rained
in a few days, it was from the moisture in the air.

--
Charlie Dilks
Newark, DE USA

GrailKing@oops!.Not.The.Realm.net

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 10:13:51 -0400, Charlie D
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> GrailKing@oops!.Not.The.Realm.net wrote:
>
>> For my sister-inlaw on her 50th b-day I made three collages, I let
>> them dry two days then put them in frames, I noticed moisture against
>> the glass and started wondering if I should have waited longer before
>> I framed them. How long should it take for a print to dry so it is
>> safe for framing?

>One thought.
>Where do you live and do you have air conditioning?
>
>Here in the Eastern US it has been very damp.
>Just yesterday I pulled an advertisement from outside
>my front door and it was limp and soggy. It hasn't rained
>in a few days, it was from the moisture in the air.

CT, and yes.

GK
===================================
Of Course The Address is Munged

===================================

Mark

GrailKing@oops!.Not.The.Realm.net wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> On 20 Aug 2003 06:22:05 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Mark) wrote:
>
> >So, what brand of printer are you using? I have a feeling that it's an
> >older model. Non of the newer models i've tried have this problem.

> Lexmark X75 all in one at 300 dpi, Lexmark ink only.
>
> GK
> ===================================
> Of Course The Address is Munged
>
> ===================================

I've used that model a lot. However, I haven't noticed any problems.
I have several photos printed with that model in frames and haven't
noticed any water vapor issue. I assume these photos are in a
temperature controlled area? I guess you could have a problem if you
had a picture in a AC house and then took them outside in Florida in
August (not sure why anyone one would do this, but...).

If I were you, I would call Lexmark at 1-800-Lexmark and tell them
about this problem. Tell them your cartridge is causing some printing
issues and you would like to have the cartridge replaced. They should
be able to send you a new one in a few days. Lexmark's ink is water
based. So you might have received a bad batch of cartridges. I'm
sure tech support will have you clean the nozzles, but if you are
persistant that the cartridge ink is the problem, they will end up
sending you a new one.

In the mean time, try a different brand of photo paper. As I said
before, Kodak Preminum photo paper is a excellent choice. Their is a
large difference in quality and I personally know that Kodak paper and
Lexmark printers work great.

Please let me know if this helps you.

On 20 Aug 2003 13:05:56 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (Mark) wrote:

>In the mean time, try a different brand of photo paper. As I said
>before, Kodak Preminum photo paper is a excellent choice. Their is a
>large difference in quality and I personally know that Kodak paper and
>Lexmark printers work great.

I use(d) Kodak Ultima 71lb high gloss paper, as others suggested could
be humidity, I did those pictures when it rained for a week here in
CT, I just printed a couple of pictures that been sitting for 3 days
gonna frame them and see how it goes.

GK