Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > how much drying time for a ink jet print?

how much drying time for a ink jet print?

GrailKing@oops!.Not.The.Realm.net

For my sister-inlaw on her 50th b-day I made three collages, I let
them dry two days then put them in frames, I noticed moisture against
the glass and started wondering if I should have waited longer before
I framed them. How long should it take for a print to dry so it is
safe for framing?

GK
===================================
Of Course The Address is Munged

===================================

tkranz

two days should be plenty - it's been a humid summer - sure it wasn't plain
old condensation????
<GrailKing@oops!.Not.The.Realm.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> For my sister-inlaw on her 50th b-day I made three collages, I let
> them dry two days then put them in frames, I noticed moisture against
> the glass and started wondering if I should have waited longer before
> I framed them. How long should it take for a print to dry so it is
> safe for framing?
>
> GK
> ===================================
> Of Course The Address is Munged
>
> ===================================

Ron Hunter

GrailKing@oops!.Not.The.Realm.net wrote:
> For my sister-inlaw on her 50th b-day I made three collages, I let
> them dry two days then put them in frames, I noticed moisture against
> the glass and started wondering if I should have waited longer before
> I framed them. How long should it take for a print to dry so it is
> safe for framing?
>
> GK
> ===================================
> Of Course The Address is Munged
>
> ===================================

Thirty minutes should be adequate. If you had moisture on the inside of
the glass, it probably was atmospheric.

Photon

2 days should be sufficient unless you used a paper that is not compatible
with your printer. I read somewhere HP printers did not work well with some
type of papers: the ink would basically never dry.

On the other hand, if you monted the print right behind the glass (without
matting it), then what you could see is the paper surface sticking to the
glass. You should never let glossy paper touch the glass. With matte paper,
it should be less of an issue.

<GrailKing@oops!.Not.The.Realm.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> For my sister-inlaw on her 50th b-day I made three collages, I let
> them dry two days then put them in frames, I noticed moisture against
> the glass and started wondering if I should have waited longer before
> I framed them. How long should it take for a print to dry so it is
> safe for framing?
>
> GK
> ===================================
> Of Course The Address is Munged
>
> ===================================

Mike Graham

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, GrailKing@oops!.Not.The.Realm.net wrote:

> For my sister-inlaw on her 50th b-day I made three collages, I let
> them dry two days then put them in frames, I noticed moisture against
> the glass and started wondering if I should have waited longer before
> I framed them. How long should it take for a print to dry so it is
> safe for framing?

I've read the other replies, and they surprise me a bit, because I frame
stuff 'hot off the press'. Within a few minutes of printing, quite often.
I haven't had a problem yet. I use HP Premium Plus matte photo paper and HP
ink.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) |

Paul D. Sullivan

I use Epson Photo Paper and an Epson Photo 780 with stock inks
and they are dry within moments - seconds perhaps.

Perhaps that is because it takes so long to print at 2880...

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> GrailKing@oops!.Not.The.Realm.net wrote:
>
>> For my sister-inlaw on her 50th b-day I made three collages,
>> I let
>> them dry two days then put them in frames, I noticed moisture
>> against
>> the glass and started wondering if I should have waited
>> longer before
>> I framed them. How long should it take for a print to dry so
>> it is
>> safe for framing?

> I've read the other replies, and they surprise me a bit,
> because I frame
> stuff 'hot off the press'. Within a few minutes of printing,
> quite often.
> I haven't had a problem yet. I use HP Premium Plus matte
> photo paper and HP
> ink.

Photon

"stubby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%7I0b.2082$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I use Epson paper and ink I tried some Kodak paper the Epson prints I can
> frame from the printer ,but the Kodak still sticks to the glass 6 months
> later

This can happen with any glossy paper, dry or wet. Even traditional photo
paper. Glossy prints should never be allowed to touch the glass (use a mat).
Note that when framed under glass, the gloss of the print does not make a
visible difference, so you might as well use matte paper for framed pictures
(I use Epson Heavyweight Matte Paper).

On 20 Aug 2003 04:29:42 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Frankhartx) wrote:

>>eply-To: (E-Mail Removed)

>>For my sister-inlaw on her 50th b-day I made three collages, I let
>>them dry two days then put them in frames, I noticed moisture against
>>the glass and started wondering if I should have waited longer before
>>I framed them. How long should it take for a print to dry so it is
>>safe for framing?
>>

>Because of the variety of inks and papers now in use I don't think there can be
>a definitive answer to that question--perhaps referencing a specific printer
>and ink coupled with a specific paper miught lead to a better answer.
>>= >

Lexmark ink and printer on Kodak Ultima High Gloss 71lb paper.

GK
===================================

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 07:33:56 GMT, "Photon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>2 days should be sufficient unless you used a paper that is not compatible
>with your printer. I read somewhere HP printers did not work well with some
>type of papers: the ink would basically never dry.
>
>On the other hand, if you monted the print right behind the glass (without
>matting it), then what you could see is the paper surface sticking to the
>glass. You should never let glossy paper touch the glass. With matte paper,
>it should be less of an issue.
>
><GrailKing@oops!.Not.The.Realm.net> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> For my sister-inlaw on her 50th b-day I made three collages, I let
>> them dry two days then put them in frames, I noticed moisture against
>> the glass and started wondering if I should have waited longer before
>> I framed them. How long should it take for a print to dry so it is
>> safe for framing?
>>
>> GK
>> ===================================
>> Of Course The Address is Munged
>>
>> ===================================

Hmmmm, that's what I did, HG right to clipped glass frames.

GK
===================================
Of Course The Address is Munged

===================================

GrailKing@oops!.Not.The.Realm.net

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 02:19:29 -0500, Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>GrailKing@oops!.Not.The.Realm.net wrote:
>> For my sister-inlaw on her 50th b-day I made three collages, I let
>> them dry two days then put them in frames, I noticed moisture against
>> the glass and started wondering if I should have waited longer before
>> I framed them. How long should it take for a print to dry so it is
>> safe for framing?
>>
>> GK
>> Of Course The Address is Munged

>Thirty minutes should be adequate. If you had moisture on the inside of
>the glass, it probably was atmospheric.

Yup on inside of glass, I went over all the glass with paper towels
before I placed the picures inside.

GK