Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Is the 8 mp Sony DSC-F828 about the Best Digital Camera out now?

Re: Is the 8 mp Sony DSC-F828 about the Best Digital Camera out now?

BUNTOVNIK

"Paul D. Sullivan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fde0b.10926$(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.dpreview.com/articles/sonydscf828/
>
> This looks to be one very impressive camera.
>
> A Compact Flash slot? Way cool.
>
> I wish the 7x Optical zoom had image stabilization so that you
> could do hand-held zoom shots beyond 4x or 5x zoom without
> blurring, etc. Still, with a tripod, it would be awesome.
>
> Wish it had a remote control for those tripod long exposure
> shots, wish it had AA rechargeables instead of proprietary, but
> all in all, the ability to print full 8"x10" shots with 300 dpi
> of detail is very cool.
>
> What do you all think about it?
>
> Yeah, $1300 is a lot, and I'm happy with my $800 Olympus C5050,
> but man, what a camera this one looks to be...

I think it'd be better if we'd all just hold our breath til the first photos
taken with this camera come out. The RGBE system sure sounds promising, but
until I acutally see how the photos look like there's not much point in
discussing other elements of new Sony.

--
----------------------
online photo portfolio

Paul D. Sullivan

Good point. Still, this is the first SONY I've been jazzed
about. That Compact Flash slot helps a lot in terms of appeal.

> I think it'd be better if we'd all just hold our breath til
> the first photos taken with this camera come out. The RGBE
> system sure sounds promising, but until I acutally see how the
> photos look like there's not much point in discussing other
> elements of new Sony.

Paul Heslop

BUNTOVNIK wrote:

> "Paul D. Sullivan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:fde0b.10926$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > http://www.dpreview.com/articles/sonydscf828/
> >
> > This looks to be one very impressive camera.
> >
> > A Compact Flash slot? Way cool.
> >
> > I wish the 7x Optical zoom had image stabilization so that you
> > could do hand-held zoom shots beyond 4x or 5x zoom without
> > blurring, etc. Still, with a tripod, it would be awesome.
> >
> > Wish it had a remote control for those tripod long exposure
> > shots, wish it had AA rechargeables instead of proprietary, but
> > all in all, the ability to print full 8"x10" shots with 300 dpi
> > of detail is very cool.
> >
> > What do you all think about it?
> >
> > Yeah, $1300 is a lot, and I'm happy with my $800 Olympus C5050,
> > but man, what a camera this one looks to be...

> I think it'd be better if we'd all just hold our breath til the first photos
> taken with this camera come out. The RGBE system sure sounds promising, but
> until I acutally see how the photos look like there's not much point in
> discussing other elements of new Sony.
>
> --
> ----------------------
> online photo portfolio
> www.stojcic.com

Except how pretty it looks :O)
--
Paul. (Woman man or modern monkey)
Not what it seems...

Alfred Molon

In article <fse0b.10977$(E-Mail Removed)>,

> about. That Compact Flash slot helps a lot in terms of appeal.

Actually it's quite irrelevant, although it's nice being able to buy
cheaper memory cards.
--

Alfred Molon

reg-john

its quite irrelevant?

news:(E-Mail Removed) news.com...
> In article <fse0b.10977$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>
> > about. That Compact Flash slot helps a lot in terms of appeal.

> Actually it's quite irrelevant, although it's nice being able to buy
> cheaper memory cards.
> --
>
> Alfred Molon

Alfred Molon

In article <m1C0b.13648$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Apparenty, in the world he lives in, it is...
>
> For the many of the rest of us on the Planet Earth, Compact Flash
> does indeed make a difference.

But it's more important not to lose your images. If you lost hundreds of
images because the CF card went bad, you'll regret not having spent an
extra $50 for a more stable memory card.

I'm going to use the 512MB CF I bought mainly for RAWs and I'll be very
careful not to fill it with more than 50 images, so that in case of a
failure I won't lose too much.

I've also loaded my notebook with several image recovery utilities, just
in case.

That damned Transcend 512MB CF failed two times in the first few days I
used it. With Smartmedia I never had to worry about losing images.
--

Alfred Molon

Alfred Molon

In article <m1C0b.13648$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Apparenty, in the world he lives in, it is...
>
> For the many of the rest of us on the Planet Earth, Compact Flash
> does indeed make a difference.

See here for a compatibility list of CF cards:
http://www.pbase.com/image/16955830

You'll note that a number of CF card brands create problems with the
Olympuy 5050.
--

Alfred Molon

Paul D. Sullivan

> But it's more important not to lose your images. If you lost
> hundreds of images because the CF card went bad, you'll regret
> not having spent an extra $50 for a more stable memory card.

Why would you think CF cards are unstable?

> I'm going to use the 512MB CF I bought mainly for RAWs and
> I'll be very careful not to fill it with more than 50 images,
> so that in case of a failure I won't lose too much.

My Olympus C5050 supports 2 memory slots concurrently. One for
Compact Flash compatible media and the other for Smart Media and
xD.

I copy files from the CF right over to the spare media in my
other slot with a couple of menu selections.

> I've also loaded my notebook with several image recovery
> utilities, just in case.

Always a good idea.

> That damned Transcend 512MB CF failed two times in the first
> few days I used it. With Smartmedia I never had to worry about
> losing images.

Simply because you have had bad experiences withone particular CF
card should not lead you to believe that CF technology is
inferior.

I followed the instructions, did a full format of the CF media
while it was inside my camera, using the cameras own format
command.

I have not yet lost any files due to errors on any of the media I
have, including Smart Media, xD and CF.

Perhaps investing in another card from another manufacturer and
giving it some detailed testing would provide a different end
result?

Paul D. Sullivan

> See here for a compatibility list of CF cards:
> http://www.pbase.com/image/16955830
>
> You'll note that a number of CF card brands create problems
> with the Olympuy 5050.

Could you perhaps provide the review/site where this graphic was
presented? It would be nice to see it in its proper context.

Thanks

Paul D. Sullivan

Not exactly a renowned authority.

Odd that you condemn CF after one bad experience even though
there are a huge number of CF users out there who don't have any
problems whatsoever.

Seems a bit presumptuous to me.