Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How to get close in and narrow depth of field with a Nikon 5700

How to get close in and narrow depth of field with a Nikon 5700

Louis

A friend of mine has a Nikon 5700 that he uses for taking pictures of gems.
He needs to be able to get close in and stop down to something like F22 for
a narrow depth of field.

Is there anyway to accomplish this with this camera, e.g., add on lens,
different technique...

Thanks!

M-M

In article <PjW%a.103747$(E-Mail Removed) >,
"Louis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> A friend of mine has a Nikon 5700 that he uses for taking pictures of gems.
> He needs to be able to get close in and stop down to something like F22 for
> a narrow depth of field.

f22 will give you a wide DOF, not narrow. You need a wide DOF for gems
at macro so the entire speciman is in focus.

Just set the aperture and adjust the shutter speed. Tripod is a must.

m-m

Marggi

I don't have the 5700, I have the 4500, but I assume the coolpix series all
have Macro settings. This will give you what you are looking for, with no
other adjustment. The little flowers will turn yellow when you hit the
"sweet spot" on the zoom. Short Courses offers a book on the 5700, it is
the manual you wish Nikon had sent with your camera. Check out
http://www.shortcourses.com/bookstor..._nikon5700.htm I have the
shortcourses book on the 4500 and have found it to be extremely helpful.
Good luck, Marggi

newsjW%a.103747$(E-Mail Removed) .net...