Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Best Buy The Worst Buy For Consumers

Re: Best Buy The Worst Buy For Consumers

robert sims

Commission or no commission and/or getting the best sales help is really not
what most of us in this group are concerned with. For the average shopper,
perhaps, but I place most of the folks in this group at least as
knowledgeable and generally more so. I don't need the sales pitch from
anyone- I go shopping knowing what I want (having already done my homework).
I am looking for the best price and the best return policy. This is where
Best Buy is sorely lacking. Their price matching policies are draconian
(bring in a printed store flyer for them to match-- my God, somebody tell
them this is the Internet age), and their return policy is basically the
pitts. (Restocking fee unless defective- no wonder everything comes back
"defective"). The biggest joke going is that the Best Buy stores DO NOT
MATCH their own online prices--- if you go the Circuit City, the will bring
up the Best Buy website and match the price-- it's the biggest laugh going
in retail sales right now.

"Arthur Entlich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:b4K%a.752545$(E-Mail Removed). ca...
> Well, I'm not sure about that. I never like going to stores with
> commission sales help. I get greeted by 10 salespeople all drooling to
> "help" me out of my money. They will sell me whatever they think will
> make them the best "points" on the sale, and they "don't know me" after
> I leave the store. The turn over rate is very high because the
> salespeople who are truthful often make lower sales and can't afford to
> remain.
>

> Art
>
> Doug wrote:
>
> > Thr folks at BB aren't on commission, that's why you can't get any

help.....
> > they get paid whether you buy something or not.
> > "peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:BGg%a.4879$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...

JK

robert sims wrote:

> Commission or no commission and/or getting the best sales help is really not
> what most of us in this group are concerned with. For the average shopper,
> perhaps, but I place most of the folks in this group at least as
> knowledgeable and generally more so. I don't need the sales pitch from
> anyone- I go shopping knowing what I want (having already done my homework).
> I am looking for the best price and the best return policy.

Why do you need a good return policy if you know what you want? Even
stores with poor return policies will replace a defective unit with another
of the same model within a week. Since you know what you want, you
would have no reason to return it if it is not defective.

> This is where
> Best Buy is sorely lacking. Their price matching policies are draconian
> (bring in a printed store flyer for them to match--

With many manufacturer's using MAP agreements, one will not find
low advertised prices for many items.

> my God, somebody tell
> them this is the Internet age), and their return policy is basically the
> pitts. (Restocking fee unless defective- no wonder everything comes back
> "defective"). The biggest joke going is that the Best Buy stores DO NOT
> MATCH their own online prices--- if you go the Circuit City, the will bring
> up the Best Buy website and match the price-- it's the biggest laugh going
> in retail sales right now.

Best Buy is the one that is laughing. They are doing very well now.

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/030807/retai...outlook_3.html

Circuit City is under pressure now.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/yhoo...6B0930DB299%7D

robert sims wrote:

> Commission or no commission and/or getting the best sales help is really not
> what most of us in this group are concerned with. For the average shopper,
> perhaps, but I place most of the folks in this group at least as
> knowledgeable and generally more so. I don't need the sales pitch from
> anyone- I go shopping knowing what I want (having already done my homework).
> I am looking for the best price and the best return policy.

From a link in my previous response:

"Best Buy, which has consistently outperformed its closest rival, Circuit City
Stores Inc. (NYSE:CC - News), said gross margins improved as sales staff cut
down on product exchanges and returns."

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/030807/retai...outlook_3.html

> This is where
> Best Buy is sorely lacking. Their price matching policies are draconian
> (bring in a printed store flyer for them to match-- my God, somebody tell
> them this is the Internet age), and their return policy is basically the
> pitts. (Restocking fee unless defective- no wonder everything comes back
> "defective"). The biggest joke going is that the Best Buy stores DO NOT
> MATCH their own online prices--- if you go the Circuit City, the will bring
> up the Best Buy website and match the price-- it's the biggest laugh going
> in retail sales right now.
>
> "Arthur Entlich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:b4K%a.752545$(E-Mail Removed). ca...
> > Well, I'm not sure about that. I never like going to stores with
> > commission sales help. I get greeted by 10 salespeople all drooling to
> > "help" me out of my money. They will sell me whatever they think will
> > make them the best "points" on the sale, and they "don't know me" after
> > I leave the store. The turn over rate is very high because the
> > salespeople who are truthful often make lower sales and can't afford to
> > remain.
> >

> > Art
> >
> > Doug wrote:
> >
> > > Thr folks at BB aren't on commission, that's why you can't get any

> help.....
> > > they get paid whether you buy something or not.
> > > "peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:BGg%a.4879$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...

gilbert

"Gavyn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:w1L0b.2673$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> "robert sims" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:t7V%a.7032$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> : Commission or no commission and/or getting the best sales help is really
> not
> : what most of us in this group are concerned with. For the average
> shopper,
> : perhaps, but I place most of the folks in this group at least as
> : knowledgeable and generally more so. I don't need the sales pitch from
> : anyone- I go shopping knowing what I want (having already done my
> homework).
> : I am looking for the best price and the best return policy. This is

where
> : Best Buy is sorely lacking. Their price matching policies are draconian
> : (bring in a printed store flyer for them to match-- my God, somebody

tell
> : them this is the Internet age), and their return policy is basically the
> : pitts. (Restocking fee unless defective- no wonder everything comes

back
> : "defective"). The biggest joke going is that the Best Buy stores DO

NOT
> : MATCH their own online prices--- if you go the Circuit City, the will
> bring
> : up the Best Buy website and match the price-- it's the biggest laugh

going
> : in retail sales right now.
> :
> :
> : "Arthur Entlich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> : news:b4K%a.752545$(E-Mail Removed). ca...
> : > Well, I'm not sure about that. I never like going to stores with
> : > commission sales help. I get greeted by 10 salespeople all drooling

> : > "help" me out of my money. They will sell me whatever they think will
> : > make them the best "points" on the sale, and they "don't know me"

after
> : > I leave the store. The turn over rate is very high because the
> : > salespeople who are truthful often make lower sales and can't afford

> : > remain.
> : >
> : >
> : > Art
> : >
> : > Doug wrote:
> : >
> : > > Thr folks at BB aren't on commission, that's why you can't get any
> : help.....
> : > > they get paid whether you buy something or not.
> : > > "peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> : > > news:BGg%a.4879$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> : > >
> : >
> :
> :
> :
>
> I used to work for Best Buy. I could go on and on about the horrors and
> dishonesty of what goes on behind the scenes there. I definitely

recommend
> people shop elsewhere.
>
> It is true that employees are not paid on commission, but they are
> constantly driven to sell what is called the "PSP", or the "Performance
> Service Plan", on equipment that it applies to. Their performance is

rated
> on how many they sell and there is quite of bit of training on how to talk
> someone into it. If they go a month or so without selling to money, it's
> the pink slip for them.
>
> So even though they do not work on commission, there is still an impetus

> sell sell sell that PSP at all costs. By the way, when it comes time to
> service a unit with that PSP (I worked as a tech in the service center),

you
> can expect a good MONTH at a bare MINIMUM before seeing it again, which is
> far outside industry standard turn time on repairs. This is due to a very
> poor service structure. They've closed several service centers and that
> increases the load on the ones that remain.
>
> ~G~

JIM

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> That's what I hate most about going to a place like Best Buy or Circus

City.
> In just about any department of the store I walk into, I'll know more

about
> their products than the salespeople.

.....<cut>....

You're confusing 'honest labor' with 'knowledgeable laborer. If your
knowledge is vastly superior to any sales clerk, you should not even need to
ask where the model you want to purchase is located. Run in, pick the thing
up and run out, preferably paying before leaving and thanking your lucky
stars that you don't have to work there. Most sales people are just burned
out with any attempt to keep up with the miriad changes involved in the
digital experience. They don't care what you want, they just want to sell
you what you want or anything - making you a smarter or more informed buyer
isn't in their job description........might also consider that a nose turned
up too high invites drowning.

Shoot'em up, buy anywhere, Agfa, Fuji, Kodak and all the rest will love you
for it!!

jim