Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Eos 10D as a MF neg scanner?

Eos 10D as a MF neg scanner?

Warren Jones

I've got a bunch of 6x12cm (120) B/w negs that I want to use in alternate
processes. ie make into enlarged Digital Contact Negatives, on OHP's.
I have a 10D, and wonder if it's worth constructing the equivalent of the
old Illumatrans slide copier, using the 550EX flash off camera as the light
source of the 10D,in conjunction with a copy stand.
Simply making digital copies off an XRay lightbox
produced very flat results.
External scanning at this size is too EXPENSIVE!
Any thoughts?

dslr

Warren Jones wrote:

> I've got a bunch of 6x12cm (120) B/w negs that I want to use in alternate
> processes. ie make into enlarged Digital Contact Negatives, on OHP's.
> I have a 10D, and wonder if it's worth constructing the equivalent of the
> old Illumatrans slide copier, using the 550EX flash off camera as the light
> source of the 10D,in conjunction with a copy stand.
> Simply making digital copies off an XRay lightbox
> produced very flat results.
> External scanning at this size is too EXPENSIVE!
> Any thoughts?

Worth a try - it won't exactly cost much to find out.
I've had reasonable success simply photographing 35mm slides on a
lightbox, but haven't tried negs at all, either B&W or colour.
I'd suggest mounting the negs in a fairly large (card?) frame to
completely block any light hitting the camera from the flash other than
that passing through the neg.

--
regards,
dslr

Gary Eickmeier

"Warren Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f3ff1dc$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've got a bunch of 6x12cm (120) B/w negs that I want to use in alternate
> processes. ie make into enlarged Digital Contact Negatives, on OHP's.
> I have a 10D, and wonder if it's worth constructing the equivalent of the
> old Illumatrans slide copier, using the 550EX flash off camera as the

light
> source of the 10D,in conjunction with a copy stand.
> Simply making digital copies off an XRay lightbox
> produced very flat results.
> External scanning at this size is too EXPENSIVE!
> Any thoughts?

Epson 3200 flatbed scanner.

Gary Eickmeier

snaps!

Why buy a $500 scanner when you already have a digital camera capable of the
same thing?
I used a 100mm f2.8 macro lens on my 10D to do just that. Photograph B&W
negatives from 6 x 9 cm camera. The only thing I needed to do was alter the
tone curve afterwards in PhotoShop to get rid of the overly contrasty shots.
Otherwise the exercise is brilliant, cheap and well worth the effort. I
imagine one of the cheap slide copiers could be converted to this task and
get reliable focus if you are doing a lot of them. The prime ingredialt (fo
me) was a macro lens. If I'd been doing a lot I'd have used a 50mm macro but
I already had the 100.

Doug
--------------------------
"Gary Eickmeier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6DS%a.51039$(E-Mail Removed) om...

> "Warren Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3f3ff1dc$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I've got a bunch of 6x12cm (120) B/w negs that I want to use in

alternate
> > processes. ie make into enlarged Digital Contact Negatives, on OHP's.
> > I have a 10D, and wonder if it's worth constructing the equivalent of

the
> > old Illumatrans slide copier, using the 550EX flash off camera as the

> light
> > source of the 10D,in conjunction with a copy stand.
> > Simply making digital copies off an XRay lightbox
> > produced very flat results.
> > External scanning at this size is too EXPENSIVE!
> > Any thoughts?

> Epson 3200 flatbed scanner.
>
> Gary Eickmeier

Alan F Cross

One advantage of a 'proper' scanner is that you will get near-perfect
rectilinearity, even illumination and known scale.

A camera solution will be subject to image curvature
(barrel/pincushion), possibly some corner drop-off, and unknown dpi
until you measure the result. May or may be important in your
application.

I have used a copy stand and colour corrected light box with good
results, subject to the caveats above.

In message <qST%a.40310$(E-Mail Removed)>, snaps!
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes

--
Alan F Cross

David J. Littleboy

"snaps!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Why buy a $500 scanner when you already have a digital camera capable of

the
> same thing?

The 3200 is a 28 lp/mm scanner. Call it 25 lp/mm. The film in question is "6
x 12" cm, about 56 x 110 mm actually. 1400 x 2750 line pairs, or 4600 x 8250
pixels (downsampling to 3 pixels per line pair). That's a 37MP image. Shoot
with the 10D, and you'll get 3000 x 1500 pixels, or 4.5 MP. (Note that
comparing at 3 pixels per line pair is the right thing, because the 10D
requires almost exactly 3 pixels to resolve a line pair at its limiting
resolution.)

> I used a 100mm f2.8 macro lens on my 10D to do just that. Photograph B&W
> negatives from 6 x 9 cm camera.

From 6x9 (56x82mm) the difference isn't so gross: since the aspect ratios
match, you get a 6MP image from the 10D, and 4600 x 6900 pixels (31 MP) from
the scanner. A factor of 5 difference.

Quibbles: 25 lp/mm might still be a tad optimisitic for the film+scanner
combination. Assuming 20 lp/mm would bring the film+scanner combination down
to 23 MP for 6x12 and 19 MP for 6x9. Still a lot better than the 10D...

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Carsten J. Arnholm

dslr wrote in message <(E-Mail Removed)>...
[...]
>Worth a try - it won't exactly cost much to find out.
>I've had reasonable success simply photographing 35mm slides on a
>lightbox, but haven't tried negs at all, either B&W or colour.
>I'd suggest mounting the negs in a fairly large (card?) frame to
>completely block any light hitting the camera from the flash other than
>that passing through the neg.

Good advice. Equally important is the quality of illumination. Hard,
directional light will usually give hard, low quality results. Use soft
indirect light.

Regards,
Carsten J. Arnholm, Oslo, Norway.
http://carnholm.home.online.no

Tom Monego

I don't think you would get as good a copy as with a scanner, certainly no the
file size. Have you tried a ProPhoto CD, about $12 at www.imagers.com. If you
want to use a copier, why not just use the existing strobe, or the
illumination bulb, one of the beauties of digital is testing costs nothing.
I'm not sure the auto strobe would work as a transmissive light source, they
generally require reflected light to work. The Bessler slide duper had a more
intense viewing light than the illumitrans. If you have an Illumitrans and the
camera fits, it will work fine. Have used both for film.

Tom

In article <3f3ff1dc$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...

>I've got a bunch of 6x12cm (120) B/w negs that I want to use in alternate
>processes. ie make into enlarged Digital Contact Negatives, on OHP's.
>I have a 10D, and wonder if it's worth constructing the equivalent of the
>old Illumatrans slide copier, using the 550EX flash off camera as the light
>source of the 10D,in conjunction with a copy stand.
>Simply making digital copies off an XRay lightbox
>produced very flat results.
>External scanning at this size is too EXPENSIVE!
>Any thoughts?

Tom Monego

A good macrolens, or a copying lens as were sold with the slide copiers are
very flat field lenses with generally over coverage for 35mm, so for a small
sensor there should be no fall off. Use a standard lens, prime or zoom
(especially zoom) and you are correct.

Tom

In article <4fcRggWQABQ$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...