Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Where to get GOOD black and white prints made

Re: Where to get GOOD black and white prints made

Mister Max

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Sarah) posted:

> I am looking for a lab to get good black and white prints from my
> digital camera. The paper needs to be matte at the least because I
> would like to hand color some. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Have you tried a laser jet?
- Max

--
MisterMax
Slideshows of Angkor Wat, Bali, Crete, France, Malaysia, Maui, Morocco,

Sarah

Mister Max <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<Xns93DAA822C91CAanonrandomsequenceof@206.127 .4.25>...
> (E-Mail Removed) (Sarah) posted:
>
> > I am looking for a lab to get good black and white prints from my
> > digital camera. The paper needs to be matte at the least because I
> > would like to hand color some. Any suggestions? Thanks.

> Have you tried a laser jet?
> - Max

No I haven't.

Mister Max

"Ian Burley" <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:

> I don't expect this would be a very good route as laser printers don't
> have very good black density or tonal range. Use an error diffusion
> screen (should be a driver setting) if you want to try, though.
>
> Ian

Did a test. The laser (hp LaserJet 1200) printed blacker blacks than my
Epson C80 inkjet, with (therefore) better tonal range. Epson did not
show the dots that the laser did, though. Tests run with the laser at
"ProRes 1200(180 dpi)" on 24 lb plain paper; Epson C80 at 1440 dpi on
"Epson Matte Paper - Heavyweight."

- Max

--
MisterMax
Slideshows of Angkor Wat, Bali, Crete, France, Malaysia, Maui, Morocco,
Mt Holly, Sicily, St Tropez, Singapore, Thailand, Tour de France:
http://buten.net/max/
(Yes,RemoveDoubles is part of my email address. The double letters in my
last name are not.)

Ian Burley

OK, Max - thanks for the detail. A C80 is not really a photo printer in my
boox. A Stylus Photo series printer will give considerably better black
density on Heavyweight Matt, and even better on Premium Glossy paper.

The laser printer should win on plain paper whatever, though.

Ian

--

DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY NOW - http://www.dp-now.com
UK-based Web magazine for users of digital photography

"Mister Max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns93DB69B4E6941anonrandomsequenceof@206.127. 4.25...
> "Ian Burley" <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
>
> > I don't expect this would be a very good route as laser printers don't
> > have very good black density or tonal range. Use an error diffusion
> > screen (should be a driver setting) if you want to try, though.
> >
> > Ian
> >

> Did a test. The laser (hp LaserJet 1200) printed blacker blacks than my
> Epson C80 inkjet, with (therefore) better tonal range. Epson did not
> show the dots that the laser did, though. Tests run with the laser at
> "ProRes 1200(180 dpi)" on 24 lb plain paper; Epson C80 at 1440 dpi on
> "Epson Matte Paper - Heavyweight."
>
> - Max
>
> --
> MisterMax
> Slideshows of Angkor Wat, Bali, Crete, France, Malaysia, Maui, Morocco,
> Mt Holly, Sicily, St Tropez, Singapore, Thailand, Tour de France:
> http://buten.net/max/
> (Yes,RemoveDoubles is part of my email address. The double letters in my
> last name are not.)

George Kerby

On 8/18/03 9:23 AM, in article
Xns93DB69B4E6941anonrandomsequenceof@206.127.4.25, "Mister Max"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Ian Burley" <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
>
>> I don't expect this would be a very good route as laser printers don't
>> have very good black density or tonal range. Use an error diffusion
>> screen (should be a driver setting) if you want to try, though.
>>
>> Ian
>>

> Did a test. The laser (hp LaserJet 1200) printed blacker blacks than my
> Epson C80 inkjet, with (therefore) better tonal range. Epson did not
> show the dots that the laser did, though. Tests run with the laser at
> "ProRes 1200(180 dpi)" on 24 lb plain paper; Epson C80 at 1440 dpi on
> "Epson Matte Paper - Heavyweight."
>
> - Max

Are you nuts?!? Photo quality on a damn laser printer?
BAHAWHAWHAWHAWHAWHAW!!!!!
Now THAT'S funny!!!!
GAWD!!! There ARE some people that are unbelievable.