Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: what size memcard for 6Mpixel camera?

Re: what size memcard for 6Mpixel camera?

BG250

Get several smaller cards, such as 128 or 256mb.
My friend lost nearly all of his vacation photos when his one card went bad.
He recovered only 7 of the 70 shots.

With many smaller cards, if one goes belly up, the loss is not as severe.
bg

"Beowulf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsan.2003.08.16.08.39.14.909948.11310@nowhere. net...
> What size of memory card is most functional for a 6 megapixel camera,
> when shooting on highest resolution mode (TIFF/RAW)? I would think more
> memory is better, but perhaps not necessarily so-- sort of like I would
> not want to use a roll of 1000 exposures in a film camera. Perhaps being
> able to yank a photoshoot session out of a camera whether on film or
> memory card is most practical. But shooting in TIFF format can really eat
> up memory, right? Should I get 512MB or 1GB mem cards?

Todd Walker

says...
> Get several smaller cards, such as 128 or 256mb.
> My friend lost nearly all of his vacation photos when his one card went bad.
> He recovered only 7 of the 70 shots.
>
> With many smaller cards, if one goes belly up, the loss is not as severe.
> bg

Interesting -- this fits in with another current thread about the
failure rate of flash memory cards. The general consensus is that this
almost never happens. Losing cards however is probably much more common.
So what has a better chance of happening? Having a card failure one one
card or losing one out of several?

--
________________________________
Todd Walker

james

Todd, maybe the card's file system was corrupted somehow. (card removed
while camera still writing to it?) And that was what happened in his case
instead of an actual card failure.
james

"Todd Walker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> says...
> > Get several smaller cards, such as 128 or 256mb.
> > My friend lost nearly all of his vacation photos when his one card went

bad.
> > He recovered only 7 of the 70 shots.
> >
> > With many smaller cards, if one goes belly up, the loss is not as

severe.
> > bg

> Interesting -- this fits in with another current thread about the
> failure rate of flash memory cards. The general consensus is that this
> almost never happens. Losing cards however is probably much more common.
> So what has a better chance of happening? Having a card failure one one
> card or losing one out of several?
>
> --
> ________________________________
> Todd Walker
> http://twalker.d2g.com
> Canon 10D:
> http://twalker.d2g.com/canon10d
> My Digital Photography Weblog:
> http://twalker.d2g.com/dpblog.htm
> _________________________________

Beowulf

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 10:36:25 -0500, BG250 wrote:

> Get several smaller cards, such as 128 or 256mb. My friend lost nearly
> all of his vacation photos when his one card went bad. He recovered only
> 7 of the 70 shots.

yes, I am leaning towards buying multiple 256 or 512 MB cards-- then
change them sort of like changing rolls of film. Less chance of losing
all the photos on a card by an accidental memcard format or stolen
camera, etc. 512MB seems cheap ($80) so I will likely go that size for
now.

Tom Scales

Good God you have a bad attitude. Accusing me of lying? The content of my
post stands. I just made a typo because the post to which I was replying
referred to a 10D. I have a D100, which IS capable of producing TIFF files
in the camera. An extremely handy feature if you want to immediately
exchange the card with someone who does not have access to a program to
convert the RAW files. I'm a bit surprised the 10D lacks what is a critical
feature for me. Guess I made the right choice.

Is this your normal way of dealing with people? When someone makes a small
mistake when they are speaking to you do you immediately accuse them of
lying? Paranoia is a sign of many more serious problems.

Tom
"Todd Walker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > I agree with smaller cards, but if you're going to use RAW or TIFF,

don't
> > bother with 128MB or 256MB with a D100 or 10D caliber camera. For a

complex
> > set of reasons, I'm shooting TIFF rather than RAW on my new 10D. 25

pics or
> > so on a 512MB card. That's about 6 on a 128MB card.
> >

> The 10D doesn't shoot TIFF. So why are you lying about what you are
> doing?
>
> --
> ________________________________
> Todd Walker
> http://twalker.d2g.com
> Canon 10D:
> http://twalker.d2g.com/canon10d
> My Digital Photography Weblog:
> http://twalker.d2g.com/dpblog.htm
> _________________________________

Todd Walker

> I agree with smaller cards, but if you're going to use RAW or TIFF, don't
> bother with 128MB or 256MB with a D100 or 10D caliber camera. For a complex
> set of reasons, I'm shooting TIFF rather than RAW on my new 10D. 25 pics or
> so on a 512MB card. That's about 6 on a 128MB card.

The 10D doesn't shoot TIFF. So why are you lying about what you are
doing?

--
________________________________
Todd Walker
http://twalker.d2g.com
Canon 10D:
http://twalker.d2g.com/canon10d
My Digital Photography Weblog:
http://twalker.d2g.com/dpblog.htm
_________________________________

Todd Walker

> Good God you have a bad attitude. Accusing me of lying? The content of my
> post stands. I just made a typo because the post to which I was replying
> referred to a 10D. I have a D100, which IS capable of producing TIFF files
> in the camera. An extremely handy feature if you want to immediately
> exchange the card with someone who does not have access to a program to
> convert the RAW files. I'm a bit surprised the 10D lacks what is a critical
> feature for me. Guess I made the right choice.
>
> Is this your normal way of dealing with people? When someone makes a small
> mistake when they are speaking to you do you immediately accuse them of
> lying? Paranoia is a sign of many more serious problems.

Tom,

You are absolutely right. My response was uncalled for and I apologize.
I had just worked in the yard in 100+ degree heat for about 3 hours and
my brain evidently wasn't working properly

With all the similar model numbers out there -- 1D, 1Ds, D1, D1X, D1H,
10D, D100, etc ad nauseum, I can see the confusion.

Please accept my apology.

--
________________________________
Todd Walker
http://twalker.d2g.com/canon10d
My Digital Photography Weblog:
http://twalker.d2g.com/dpblog.htm
_________________________________

Tom Scales

My apologies too. I over-reacted.

Both the D100 and 10D are excellent. I chose the D100 because of the
12-24/4, which is an incredible lens.

Having lots of fun!

Tom
"Todd Walker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > Good God you have a bad attitude. Accusing me of lying? The content of

my
> > post stands. I just made a typo because the post to which I was replying
> > referred to a 10D. I have a D100, which IS capable of producing TIFF

files
> > in the camera. An extremely handy feature if you want to immediately
> > exchange the card with someone who does not have access to a program to
> > convert the RAW files. I'm a bit surprised the 10D lacks what is a

critical
> > feature for me. Guess I made the right choice.
> >
> > Is this your normal way of dealing with people? When someone makes a

small
> > mistake when they are speaking to you do you immediately accuse them of
> > lying? Paranoia is a sign of many more serious problems.
> >

> Tom,
>
> You are absolutely right. My response was uncalled for and I apologize.
> I had just worked in the yard in 100+ degree heat for about 3 hours and
> my brain evidently wasn't working properly
>
> With all the similar model numbers out there -- 1D, 1Ds, D1, D1X, D1H,
> 10D, D100, etc ad nauseum, I can see the confusion.
>
> Please accept my apology.
>
> --
> ________________________________
> Todd Walker
> http://twalker.d2g.com
> Canon 10D:
> http://twalker.d2g.com/canon10d
> My Digital Photography Weblog:
> http://twalker.d2g.com/dpblog.htm
> _________________________________

Todd Walker

> My apologies too. I over-reacted.
>
> Both the D100 and 10D are excellent. I chose the D100 because of the
> 12-24/4, which is an incredible lens.
>
> Having lots of fun!
>
> Tom

Having a blast with my 10D as well. I've had it for just over 2 1/2
weeks and I love it already -- most cameras take a bit longer to get
comfortable with. I do wish Canon would come out with something like the
Nikon 12-24 though. I get a little envious about that one

--
________________________________
Todd Walker
http://twalker.d2g.com/canon10d
My Digital Photography Weblog:
http://twalker.d2g.com/dpblog.htm

Tom Scales

It's really a Mercedes vs. BMW argument though. Both are excellent cameras
and they keep leapfrogging each other.

The only sobering thought is that neither camera will be worth anything in
two years....

Course they'll still take excellent shots!

Tom