Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > polarizing filters

polarizing filters

mike

is using a polarizing filter on a digital camera ever done?
A friend let me use his camera with a polarizing filter on it many years
ago. The pictures at the air show I went to came out great the sky looked
wonderful.
thanks for you replies to this
Mike K

Mark B.

"mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jqI%a.93033$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com...
> is using a polarizing filter on a digital camera ever done?
> A friend let me use his camera with a polarizing filter on it many years
> ago. The pictures at the air show I went to came out great the sky looked
> wonderful.
> thanks for you replies to this
> Mike K

Absolutely. I haven't seen a way to duplicate the effect in Paint Shop Pro.

Mark

Fred McKenzie

<< A friend let me use his camera with a polarizing filter on it many years
ago. The pictures at the air show I went to came out great the sky looked
wonderful. >>

Mark-

Be sure the filter has Circular Polarization so it won't interact with the
camera's autofocus system. The way they are made results in the same
photographic effect as a linear polarizer.

The effect is best when shooting at right angles to the plane of the sun's
orbit. You can see the effect by rotating the filter, if you look through the
filter from the same side the camera would.

Unless you have an SLR, it may be difficult to observe the effect you want in
the camera. You can't see it through an optical viewfinder, and the LCD screen
is hard to see in daylight.

Good Luck.

Fred

Rooker

><< A friend let me use his camera with a polarizing filter on it many years
>ago. The pictures at the air show I went to came out great the sky looked
>wonderful. >>
>
>Mark-
>
>Be sure the filter has Circular Polarization so it won't interact with the
>camera's autofocus system. The way they are made results in the same
>photographic effect as a linear polarizer.
>
>The effect is best when shooting at right angles to the plane of the sun's
>orbit. You can see the effect by rotating the filter, if you look through the
>filter from the same side the camera would.
>
>Unless you have an SLR, it may be difficult to observe the effect you want in
>the camera. You can't see it through an optical viewfinder, and the LCD screen
>is hard to see in daylight.
>
>Good Luck.
>
>Fred

In keeping with that last though, I just recently discovered the
Xtend-a-view attachment. It's kind of bulky and awkward and It's a
little weird to have the LCD magnified, but once I got used to it I
could finally use the LCD screen (and my filters and teleconverter)
outside on a bright sunny day! Yippeee!

http://www.photosolve.com/main/produ...iew/index.html
No affiliation with Photosolve, just a happy customer.

Rooker
"If it weren't for physics, and the cops, I'd be unstoppable!"

Michael Meissner

"mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> is using a polarizing filter on a digital camera ever done?
> A friend let me use his camera with a polarizing filter on it many years
> ago. The pictures at the air show I went to came out great the sky looked
> wonderful.
> thanks for you replies to this

Sure, I use it on my C-2100UZ all the time when I am shooting in bright sun
conditions to reduce non-metallic reflections, cut down on the light, and make
the sky bluer and clouds stand out more.

--
Michael Meissner
http://www.the-meissners.org

Michael Meissner

(E-Mail Removed) (Fred McKenzie) writes:

> << A friend let me use his camera with a polarizing filter on it many years
> ago. The pictures at the air show I went to came out great the sky looked
> wonderful. >>
>
> Mark-
>
> Be sure the filter has Circular Polarization so it won't interact with the
> camera's autofocus system. The way they are made results in the same
> photographic effect as a linear polarizer.

Ummm, unless you are shooting with a DSLR (or possibly the new Minolta A1 that
was just announced), you can use a linear polarizer on digital cameras. This
is because the consumer oriented digital cameras use a different auto-focus
method than film cameras. Note that if you want a high quality polarizer with
coating, you will need to go to the circular since I haven't seen anybody offer
a linear polarizer that is coated.

> The effect is best when shooting at right angles to the plane of the sun's
> orbit. You can see the effect by rotating the filter, if you look through
> the filter from the same side the camera would.
>
> Unless you have an SLR, it may be difficult to observe the effect you want in
> the camera. You can't see it through an optical viewfinder, and the LCD
> screen is hard to see in daylight.

If you have an electronic viewfinder on the other hand, you can see it, though
some EVFs don't update the LCD screen shown in the viewfinder all that
frequently.

--
Michael Meissner
email: (E-Mail Removed)

JPS@no.komm

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Mark B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Absolutely. I haven't seen a way to duplicate the effect in Paint Shop Pro.

I wouldn't expect to see one, in any program. Not one that actually
works.
--

John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>