Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Can a Sunpak 555 hurt my Canon G3?

Can a Sunpak 555 hurt my Canon G3?

Jeff

I just bought a G3 (my first digital). The internal flash is very weak
and I want to use an external flash.
If I use my Sunpak 555 w/ a the Canon module will it damage the G3?
I have heard about external flashes sending large surges to the
hotshoe of electronic cameras and damaging them.
Is there specs of what the G3 can handle (it dosn't say in the manual)
and what the Sunpak 555 puts out regarding those surges?

TIA

-Jeff

Charlie

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 21:09:57 -0400, Jeff <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I just bought a G3 (my first digital). The internal flash is very weak
>and I want to use an external flash.
>If I use my Sunpak 555 w/ a the Canon module will it damage the G3?
>I have heard about external flashes sending large surges to the
>hotshoe of electronic cameras and damaging them.
>Is there specs of what the G3 can handle (it dosn't say in the manual)
>and what the Sunpak 555 puts out regarding those surges?
>
>TIA
>
>-Jeff

Jeff,

There's a great web site that covers these questions at
http://www.botzilla.com/photo/G1strobe.html

Read what they have to say, then go to this page
http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html
and see the rating for the Sunpak 555. It ends up as a "it's probably
OK". But why not get a Canon 420EX and be safe AND fully automatic?
--
Charlie Hoffpauir
If you really want to reply via email, my valid

Greg King

I use a Sunpak 622 with all my Canon SLR's up to and including the D60
and 10D. I prefer the exposure determined by the Sunpak sensor over
the Canon TTL (I also have a Canon 550EX Speedlight.)

Greg