Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Buying a 3 megapixel digital camera

Buying a 3 megapixel digital camera

Richard

Hi,

I am new to digital camera. I would like to buy a 3.0
megapixels digital camera with optical zoom and a one that can take
close pictures such as pictures of individual flowers. I am now
thinking of buying a Canon Powershot A70 because it meeets all those
criteria. Is there somebody here who have that camera? Is it a
good camera? Is there other good cameras at about the same price
range (about 360US$ or 500CAN$)?

I want to take pictures mainly of flowers, cats and
people. Then I am planning playing with those pictures in Paint
Shop Pro 8.

Thanks,

Richard

Mike Graham

In article <CNv%a.10885$(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard wrote:

> I am new to digital camera. I would like to buy a 3.0
> megapixels digital camera with optical zoom and a one that can take
> close pictures such as pictures of individual flowers. I am now
> thinking of buying a Canon Powershot A70 because it meeets all those
> criteria.

I think just about any digital camera over $300 will do that.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) |

Marvin Margoshes

news:CNv%a.10885$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Hi,
>
> I am new to digital camera. I would like to buy a 3.0
> megapixels digital camera with optical zoom and a one that can take
> close pictures such as pictures of individual flowers. I am now
> thinking of buying a Canon Powershot A70 because it meeets all those
> criteria. Is there somebody here who have that camera? Is it a
> good camera? Is there other good cameras at about the same price
> range (about 360US$ or 500CAN$)?
>
> I want to take pictures mainly of flowers, cats and
> people. Then I am planning playing with those pictures in Paint
> Shop Pro 8.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Richard

There are others, and you can get very many views about which is best. You
can check them out at www.dpreview.com. I suggest you consider also 4 MP
cameras; the price difference is pretty small.

JK

Richard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to digital camera. I would like to buy a 3.0
> megapixels digital camera with optical zoom and a one that can take
> close pictures such as pictures of individual flowers.

How close? The Olympus c4000 focuses down to 0.7 of an inch!
Some flowers are extremely small!

> I am now
> thinking of buying a Canon Powershot A70 because it meeets all those
> criteria.

The A70 will focus down to 2 inhes at wide angle, but only as close as 10
inches at the telephoto setting.

> Is there somebody here who have that camera? Is it a
> good camera? Is there other good cameras at about the same price
> range (about 360US$ or 500CAN$)?

The Olympus C4000. It has great macro, and is 4 megapixels
rather than 3.2 megapixels that the A70 has. The C4000 has
a lens that lets in much more light at the telephoto end, and makes
the camera much more useful in low light situations. One might
be able to shoot indoors with the C4000 at ISO 400 mode and
at telephoto without using a flash or tripod(many museums allow
photography without a flash or tripod), while the A70 will only give
you f2.8 at its widest angle setting(the lens on the C4000 is f2.8
throughout the whole zoom range). The flash range on the C4000
is also much greater than on the A70 at the telephoto end. If you could
raise your budget some more, the 5 megapixel Olympus C5050 is
really nice, and has a lens that is even better in low light than the
C4000. It focuses down to 1" for macro. The display on the C5050
rotates, which is extremely handy when shooting macro.The C5050
is around $550, although it comes with a set of nimh rechargeable
batteries and a 3 hour charger (it might cost you around $50 to buy
those separately when buying the A70 or C4000, so the C5050 is
really only around $100 more than the C4000)

> I want to take pictures mainly of flowers, cats and
> people. Then I am planning playing with those pictures in Paint
> Shop Pro 8.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Richard

Paul Larson

"Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:CNv%
a.10885$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi,
>
> I am new to digital camera. I would like to buy a 3.0
> megapixels digital camera with optical zoom and a one that can take
> close pictures such as pictures of individual flowers. I am now
> thinking of buying a Canon Powershot A70 because it meeets all those
> criteria. Is there somebody here who have that camera? Is it a
> good camera? Is there other good cameras at about the same price
> range (about 360US$ or 500CAN$)?

Check Dell with the current 10% off and free shipping the 4 megapixel
Minolta s414 with 4x optical zoom or the 4 megapixel Panasonic DMC-LC43
Lumix Digital Camera can both be bought fro the $360 US you specified.

The Minolta seems to be a good camera. I just bought it and have only
started playing with some of the features. But it does get excellent
reviews.

Polytone

don't be cheap. spring for a 4 MP Canon G3.

news:CNv%a.10885$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Hi,
>
> I am new to digital camera. I would like to buy a 3.0
> megapixels digital camera with optical zoom and a one that can take
> close pictures such as pictures of individual flowers. I am now
> thinking of buying a Canon Powershot A70 because it meeets all those
> criteria. Is there somebody here who have that camera? Is it a
> good camera? Is there other good cameras at about the same price
> range (about 360US$ or 500CAN$)?
>
> I want to take pictures mainly of flowers, cats and
> people. Then I am planning playing with those pictures in Paint
> Shop Pro 8.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Richard

JK

Why not the 5 megapixel Olympus C5050 instead of the G3?

Polytone wrote:

> don't be cheap. spring for a 4 MP Canon G3.
>
> "Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:CNv%a.10885$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am new to digital camera. I would like to buy a 3.0
> > megapixels digital camera with optical zoom and a one that can take
> > close pictures such as pictures of individual flowers. I am now
> > thinking of buying a Canon Powershot A70 because it meeets all those
> > criteria. Is there somebody here who have that camera? Is it a
> > good camera? Is there other good cameras at about the same price
> > range (about 360US$ or 500CAN$)?
> >
> > I want to take pictures mainly of flowers, cats and
> > people. Then I am planning playing with those pictures in Paint
> > Shop Pro 8.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Richard

Richard

"Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message
de news:CNv%a.10885$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Hi,
>
> I am new to digital camera. I would like to buy a 3.0
> megapixels digital camera with optical zoom and a one that can take
> close pictures such as pictures of individual flowers. I am now
> thinking of buying a Canon Powershot A70 because it meeets all those
> criteria. Is there somebody here who have that camera? Is it a
> good camera? Is there other good cameras at about the same price
> range (about 360US$ or 500CAN$)?
>
> I want to take pictures mainly of flowers, cats and
> people. Then I am planning playing with those pictures in Paint
> Shop Pro 8.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Richard

Thanks all for your comments. It seems digital cameras are more
expensive in Canada than in USA. It is curious because there is so many
things that are cheaper here when you consider the conversion exchange.
Since the digital camera is evolving rapidly, I prefer to buy a somewhat
less sophiscated camera today and then I will buy another one at maybe 10
megapixels in three or four years for the same price. I am thinking of
buying online from the US but I wonder if there is a price to pay to cross
the border (does free trade cover digital camera?).

Thanks again,

Richard

Richard

"Paul Larson" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:Xns93D9D53CD8403whistlertwcnyrrcom@24.24.2.16 7...
> "Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:CNv%
> a.10885$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am new to digital camera. I would like to buy a 3.0
> > megapixels digital camera with optical zoom and a one that can take
> > close pictures such as pictures of individual flowers. I am now
> > thinking of buying a Canon Powershot A70 because it meeets all those
> > criteria. Is there somebody here who have that camera? Is it a
> > good camera? Is there other good cameras at about the same price
> > range (about 360US$ or 500CAN$)?
> >

> Check Dell with the current 10% off and free shipping the 4 megapixel
> Minolta s414 with 4x optical zoom or the 4 megapixel Panasonic DMC-LC43
> Lumix Digital Camera can both be bought fro the $360 US you specified.
>
> The Minolta seems to be a good camera. I just bought it and have only
> started playing with some of the features. But it does get excellent
> reviews.

Dell USA has a great choice of digital camera at a good price. However I
live in Canada and I checked Dell Canada and their choice of camera is very
limited. They do not have any 4 megapixel camera. I wonder if I could buy
directly from Dell USA even if I live in Canada. I will investigate that.

Thanks,

Richard

JK

Glenn Shaw wrote:

> JK wrote in rec.photo.digital:
> >
> > Polytone wrote:
> >
> >> don't be cheap. spring for a 4 MP Canon G3.

> > Why not the 5 megapixel Olympus C5050 instead of the G3?

> Those are very good cameras, but they're out of the OP's price range --
> remember, he was asking for a "good 3 megapixel camera" similar to the
> Canon A70 in the same price range (US$350/CAN$500); the G3 lists for US$799
> and the Oly lists for US$899.

The "street" price for the C4000 is around $400. For the C5050 it
is around $550. For the A70 it is around $285. Choosing a C4000
rather than the A70 is not such a large stretch in terms of cost(only $115
more), yet it gives him a camera that is in a higher league (being 4
megapixel rather than 3.2 megapixel, having a lens that is much
faster at the telephoto end, having much better macro, and other
features) The A70 is not a bad camera, and if it was less than half
the price of the C4000 I would be constantly recommending it for
those on a tight budget. Since the C4000 is only $115 more than
the A70 though, it is hard for me to recommend the A70.

> That said, may I suggest that he take a look at the Fuji FinePix 3800 --
> it's not too far out of his budget (it lists for US$399, but can be found
> online for less), has 3.2MP resolution,

The C4000 is 4 megapixel

> has a 6X optical zoom,

The lens is reasonably fast at f2.8-f3, however the camera only has
an ISO 100 mode, so it is still not good for shooting in low light
without using a flash or tripod. The Fuji 3800 would have been
very interesting if it had a low noise ISO 400 mode, and more
aperture settings. It looks like it only has f2.8, f4.8, and f8.2.

> and can
> focus as close as 10cm (approx 4") in macro mode

The C4000 focuses to within less than an inch in the super macro
mode.