Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Kodak DC280 won't power up on batteries...

Kodak DC280 won't power up on batteries...

Tripp Knightly

I have a Kodak DC280 digicam. Have tried numerous sets / types of
fresh batteries, including Kodak's own rechargeable Ni-Mh's meant for
the camera (fully-charged). It powers up and works fine using AC
adapter.

When I turn it on, all I get is a very faint & brief sound like the
lens motor moving (though the lens makes no apparent motion at all).

Can anybody corroborate their experience and diagnosis?

Thanks,

- TK

JK

Did you try cleaning the contacts in the battery compartment? You could also
try to bend the contacts in the bottom of the battery compartment so that they
make tighter contact with the batteries. Have you tried batteries that were
charged elsewhere? Perhaps your charger isn't working properly?

Tripp Knightly wrote:

> I have a Kodak DC280 digicam. Have tried numerous sets / types of
> fresh batteries, including Kodak's own rechargeable Ni-Mh's meant for
> the camera (fully-charged). It powers up and works fine using AC
> adapter.
>
> When I turn it on, all I get is a very faint & brief sound like the
> lens motor moving (though the lens makes no apparent motion at all).
>
> Can anybody corroborate their experience and diagnosis?
>
> Thanks,
>
> - TK

Tripp Knightly

Allodoxaphobia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 13:36:04 -0400, JK hath writ:
> > Did you try cleaning the contacts in the battery compartment? You could also
> > try to bend the contacts in the bottom of the battery compartment so that they
> > make tighter contact with the batteries. Have you tried batteries that were
> > charged elsewhere? Perhaps your charger isn't working properly?
> >
> > Tripp Knightly wrote:
> >
> >> I have a Kodak DC280 digicam. Have tried numerous sets / types of
> >> fresh batteries, including Kodak's own rechargeable Ni-Mh's meant for
> >> the camera (fully-charged). It powers up and works fine using AC
> >> adapter.
> >>
> >> When I turn it on, all I get is a very faint & brief sound like the
> >> lens motor moving (though the lens makes no apparent motion at all).
> >>
> >> Can anybody corroborate their experience and diagnosis?

> Following up on the Top Poster...
> I, too, have a DC-280. Until recently I only ever ran it on
> alkalines -- using only the viewfinder and *not* the LCD. I
> would get A LOT of mileage out of a set of batteries. But,
> in the last 6 months or so, I've noticed the kind of problem
> you are relating. What has worked for me (so far) is reseating
> the batteries, and opening and closing that sliding/snap closure
> over the battery compartment. I'd betcha our cameras are
> developing loose contacts and/or "invisible" corrosion/crude
> on the contact faces. (-: I've just be too lazy to `work` the
> problem so far. I always wait until things like this become
> a "disaster".
>
> p.s. Do you notice that your camera `shoots` higher than, and
> "lefter" than what your viewfinder frames? My does --
> but, I've adapted...
>
> HTH

So here's a little more info & a follow-up question. Based on above
response, after trying a little more I HAVE occasionally been able to
get some SPOTTY response from the camera under battery power. For
example, can view pictures on the camera. Less luck taking a picture
- maybe 1 time out of 10 tries, with or without allowing flash to
fire. When it doesn't work, the camera often goes from indicating
ready in the LCD, to indicating solely a strange "7E" in the LCD and
then going unresponsive. Predictably, Kodak has no troubleshooting
info in the user manual to help diagnose what "7E" means.

My question is: Assuming I need to clean the battery contacts
(something also not described in the manual), how do I do it - rubbing
alcohol on a q-tip, steel wool, what?

Thx,

- TK

PS, I've also found that more than once the camera has become
completely dead regardless of battery or AC power source, requiring a
kludgey re-set procedure not described in the manual but only at:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/servi...tib4143l.shtml

(I wonder how many less-technical users have experienced this and
given up on their cameras for new ones thinking their cameras are
broken and don't want to spring for expen$ive repair - or just gone
back to film!?)

Tripp Knightly

Thanks for the continue good public support from Kodak, Ron.

I think I've tried most of what you describe including esp. just
yesterday fresh rechargeables (Energizer NiMH, 1850 mAh) freshly
charged on my Kodak K200 charger. Change didn't seem gradual, though
haven't used camera quite enough to notice a gradual change. Battery
contacts seemed ok tension-wise and corrosion-wise - though I know
those issues aren't always obvious.

My next control in the experiment is to try those same batteries on
another DC280 known fully working. Based on what you wrote below (AC
power up generally implies battery power up feasability), if *that*
camera works w/ those fresh batteries, then it's likely battery
contact / tension issues. If it doesn't then I've been duped by a bad
charger, bad luck w/ many batteries, or both!

Will follow up...

- TK

"Ron Baird" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bi0pdp$db7$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Greetings Tripp,
>
> Sorry to hear about your experience. Since this is an earlier model, I
> assume you have had it for a while. did this condition come about quickly
> or was it something that you have noted for a while? Normally, there are
> few issues with batteries in this model camera. Have you tried any other
> batteries with your camera? I would also review the battery compartment,
> and make sure that the contact are under good tension (may have become bent
> a little over time) and clean and free of any residue. Once you have
> assured yourself of this try fully charged batteries again. Make sure they
> are not worn out, eve though rechargeable. Get fresh rechargeable double
> AAs. Be sure your charger is on and functioning correctly. If you camera
> works under AC power, it should be OK with batteries.
>
> Let me know how you make out.
>
> Ron Baird
> Kodak
>

> "Tripp Knightly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > I have a Kodak DC280 digicam. Have tried numerous sets / types of
> > fresh batteries, including Kodak's own rechargeable Ni-Mh's meant for
> > the camera (fully-charged). It powers up and works fine using AC
> > adapter.
> >
> > When I turn it on, all I get is a very faint & brief sound like the
> > lens motor moving (though the lens makes no apparent motion at all).
> >
> > Can anybody corroborate their experience and diagnosis?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > - TK

Tripp Knightly

So I tried using 2 different sets of charged NiMH (brand new
Energizers as well as older Kodaks) in the other DC280. Both battery
sets worked flawlessly in the other camera.

Seems like a smoking gun for a problem w/ my camera, not my batteries.
I also compared the contacts in the 2 cameras' battery compartments
and there is no visible difference whatsoever. I can't help but think
there's a cold solder joint or something on the battery power circuit.

Now I'm left w/ the quandary of springing for a repair - which no
doubt is ~ $75? or more or buying a new camera. Since the camera is
only 2 megapixels, I may be throwing good money after bad resolution.

One thing's for sure, if I do buy a new camera it may be tough to
choose a Kodak. (Twice bitten...)

- TK

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Tripp Knightly) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Thanks for the continue good public support from Kodak, Ron.
>
> I think I've tried most of what you describe including esp. just
> yesterday fresh rechargeables (Energizer NiMH, 1850 mAh) freshly
> charged on my Kodak K200 charger. Change didn't seem gradual, though
> haven't used camera quite enough to notice a gradual change. Battery
> contacts seemed ok tension-wise and corrosion-wise - though I know
> those issues aren't always obvious.
>
> My next control in the experiment is to try those same batteries on
> another DC280 known fully working. Based on what you wrote below (AC
> power up generally implies battery power up feasability), if *that*
> camera works w/ those fresh batteries, then it's likely battery
> contact / tension issues. If it doesn't then I've been duped by a bad
> charger, bad luck w/ many batteries, or both!
>
> Will follow up...
>
> - TK
>
> "Ron Baird" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bi0pdp$db7$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > Greetings Tripp,
> >
> > Sorry to hear about your experience. Since this is an earlier model, I
> > assume you have had it for a while. did this condition come about quickly
> > or was it something that you have noted for a while? Normally, there are
> > few issues with batteries in this model camera. Have you tried any other
> > batteries with your camera? I would also review the battery compartment,
> > and make sure that the contact are under good tension (may have become bent
> > a little over time) and clean and free of any residue. Once you have
> > assured yourself of this try fully charged batteries again. Make sure they
> > are not worn out, eve though rechargeable. Get fresh rechargeable double
> > AAs. Be sure your charger is on and functioning correctly. If you camera
> > works under AC power, it should be OK with batteries.
> >
> > Let me know how you make out.
> >
> > Ron Baird
> > Kodak
> >

> > "Tripp Knightly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > > I have a Kodak DC280 digicam. Have tried numerous sets / types of
> > > fresh batteries, including Kodak's own rechargeable Ni-Mh's meant for
> > > the camera (fully-charged). It powers up and works fine using AC
> > > adapter.
> > >
> > > When I turn it on, all I get is a very faint & brief sound like the
> > > lens motor moving (though the lens makes no apparent motion at all).
> > >
> > > Can anybody corroborate their experience and diagnosis?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > - TK

Allodoxaphobia

On 20 Aug 2003 21:14:00 -0700, Tripp Knightly hath writ:
> Thanks for the continue good public support from Kodak, Ron.
>
> I think I've tried most of what you describe including esp. just
> yesterday fresh rechargeables (Energizer NiMH, 1850 mAh) freshly
> charged on my Kodak K200 charger. Change didn't seem gradual, though
> haven't used camera quite enough to notice a gradual change. Battery
> contacts seemed ok tension-wise and corrosion-wise - though I know
> those issues aren't always obvious.
>
> My next control in the experiment is to try those same batteries on
> another DC280 known fully working. Based on what you wrote below (AC
> power up generally implies battery power up feasability), if *that*
> camera works w/ those fresh batteries, then it's likely battery
> contact / tension issues.

Or, the ^$#^%$ power jack.
I tinker with a lot of electronical apparati, and many of these
widgets use a power jack to permit powering from the outside.
These power jacks have a SPST "switch" (a push-aside contact when
the plug is inserted) to dis-engage the batteries when external
power is applied and I have quite a few of these fail. Usually
it's a complete failure -- i.e., the push-aside contact never
re-makes contact when the plug is withdrawn. As well, I've
seen intermittent failures where the contact _is_ re-made, but
only lightly -- and, I suppose under a high current draw such as
a camera with lcd and flash and zoom, it would seem REALLY flakey.

Just thinkin' out loud here...

Jonesy

--
| Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | OS/2
| Gunnison, Colorado | @ | Jonesy | linux __
| 7,703' -- 2,345m | config.com | DM68mn SK

Tripp Knightly

Allodoxaphobia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> On 20 Aug 2003 21:14:00 -0700, Tripp Knightly hath writ:
> > Thanks for the continue good public support from Kodak, Ron.
> >
> > I think I've tried most of what you describe including esp. just
> > yesterday fresh rechargeables (Energizer NiMH, 1850 mAh) freshly
> > charged on my Kodak K200 charger. Change didn't seem gradual, though
> > haven't used camera quite enough to notice a gradual change. Battery
> > contacts seemed ok tension-wise and corrosion-wise - though I know
> > those issues aren't always obvious.
> >
> > My next control in the experiment is to try those same batteries on
> > another DC280 known fully working. Based on what you wrote below (AC
> > power up generally implies battery power up feasability), if *that*
> > camera works w/ those fresh batteries, then it's likely battery
> > contact / tension issues.

> Or, the ^$#^%$ power jack.
> I tinker with a lot of electronical apparati, and many of these
> widgets use a power jack to permit powering from the outside.
> These power jacks have a SPST "switch" (a push-aside contact when
> the plug is inserted) to dis-engage the batteries when external
> power is applied and I have quite a few of these fail. Usually
> it's a complete failure -- i.e., the push-aside contact never
> re-makes contact when the plug is withdrawn. As well, I've
> seen intermittent failures where the contact _is_ re-made, but
> only lightly -- and, I suppose under a high current draw such as
> a camera with lcd and flash and zoom, it would seem REALLY flakey.
>
> Just thinkin' out loud here...
>
> Jonesy

Not a bad idea.

If the plug/SPST mechanism is purely mechanical, then I'd think just
inserting the plug (w/ or w/o adapter plugged into the wall) should
disable battery power-up (I've seen this very thing on a boombox of
mine for example). But, after testing what happens on a working
DC280, the presence of the plug inserted has no bearing on battery
power-up. So, my guess is the camera doesn't use a purely mechanical
override (relay as well?) and my particular power-up fault isn't
located at the adapter connection.