Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: OptiCal ?

Re: OptiCal ?

Ender W.

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 11:45:03 -0400, "Cliff Spicer"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have upgrades from PhotoCal to Optical so I could get the white/black
>point features instead of eyeballing it. My question is when I use Optical
>to set the white/black point after I use PreCal I have to lighten the
>monitor considerably. After I do the white//black point setup and return to
>the PreCal the screen that says I should darken the monitor until the
>pattern is barely visible is way too light. What am I doing wrong?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Cliff

You shoudn't be returning to Precal. The monitor is dark just for
precal. Then Optical has you boost the levels to the way they should
be for use. Hope this helps. LEt me know if you have any more
questions.

Greg

John H

>You shoudn't be returning to Precal. The monitor is dark just for
>precal. Then Optical has you boost the levels to the way they should
>be for use. Hope this helps. LEt me know if you have any more
>questions.
>
>Greg

Greg,

I bought Spyder about two months ago, and your post is touching on the
answer to what has troubled me. In the first few weeks, I calibrated
many times, using PreCal and then Optical, as set out in the manual.
It seemed to me that using PreCal destroys all your previous efforts
and puts you back to square one again. Is this how it's meant to be?

It's now about a month since I last calibrated my monitor. Should I
start afresh and use PreCal (which requires me to totally alter my
current settings), or should I only use OptiCal? As I see it Optical
would enable a fine tuning of my current settings?

Your advice and any explanation would be greatly appreciated.

John

Ender W.

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 00:53:28 +1000, John H
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>You shoudn't be returning to Precal. The monitor is dark just for
>>precal. Then Optical has you boost the levels to the way they should
>>be for use. Hope this helps. LEt me know if you have any more
>>questions.
>>
>>Greg

>Greg,
>
>I bought Spyder about two months ago, and your post is touching on the
>answer to what has troubled me. In the first few weeks, I calibrated
>many times, using PreCal and then Optical, as set out in the manual.
>It seemed to me that using PreCal destroys all your previous efforts
>and puts you back to square one again. Is this how it's meant to be?
>
>It's now about a month since I last calibrated my monitor. Should I
>start afresh and use PreCal (which requires me to totally alter my
>current settings), or should I only use OptiCal? As I see it Optical
>would enable a fine tuning of my current settings?
>
>Your advice and any explanation would be greatly appreciated.
>
>John

Precal is used to make sure that the electron guns in the monitor are
adjusted correctly and putting out the correct levels. Then they are
tuned to usable parameters with optical. Precal should not be used
with LCD monitors. After Precal, run Optical in precision mode and
follow directions. Optical can also be run in Standard mode without
running Precal. This is not as good as precal, because you tune with
your eyes. If you run Optical in Standard mode after Precal, skip the
first two steps because they have already been done in Precal. This is
what I do. Run Precal, then run Optical in Precision Mode. Works Good.
If you redo things every few weeks or so, you don't need to rerun
Precal, but it doesn't hurt. It will catch any drifting of the
electron guns. You could also run Optical Check to see if it needs to
be done at all. Do you have the PDF manual? Go to their website and
download it. It has all the info. Remember Precal and Optical in
Precision mode are not to be used with LCD monitors. Use Optical in
standard mode with LCD's.

GH

John H

Greg,

Thanks for your explanation and clarification.

John

>Precal is used to make sure that the electron guns in the monitor are
>adjusted correctly and putting out the correct levels. Then they are
>tuned to usable parameters with optical. Precal should not be used
>with LCD monitors. After Precal, run Optical in precision mode and
>follow directions. Optical can also be run in Standard mode without
>running Precal. This is not as good as precal, because you tune with
>your eyes. If you run Optical in Standard mode after Precal, skip the
>first two steps because they have already been done in Precal. This is
>what I do. Run Precal, then run Optical in Precision Mode. Works Good.
>If you redo things every few weeks or so, you don't need to rerun
>Precal, but it doesn't hurt. It will catch any drifting of the
>electron guns. You could also run Optical Check to see if it needs to
>be done at all. Do you have the PDF manual? Go to their website and
>download it. It has all the info. Remember Precal and Optical in
>Precision mode are not to be used with LCD monitors. Use Optical in
>standard mode with LCD's.
>

>GH

Jimmy

"Ender W." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 00:53:28 +1000, John H
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> Precal is used to make sure that the electron guns in the monitor are
> adjusted correctly and putting out the correct levels. Then they are
> tuned to usable parameters with optical. Precal should not be used
> with LCD monitors. After Precal, run Optical in precision mode and
> follow directions. Optical can also be run in Standard mode without
> running Precal. This is not as good as precal, because you tune with
> your eyes. If you run Optical in Standard mode after Precal, skip the
> first two steps because they have already been done in Precal. This is
> what I do. Run Precal, then run Optical in Precision Mode. Works Good.
> If you redo things every few weeks or so, you don't need to rerun
> Precal, but it doesn't hurt. It will catch any drifting of the
> electron guns. You could also run Optical Check to see if it needs to
> be done at all. Do you have the PDF manual? Go to their website and
> download it. It has all the info. Remember Precal and Optical in
> Precision mode are not to be used with LCD monitors. Use Optical in
> standard mode with LCD's.
>

> GH

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/pho...photocal_2.htm I noticed on his site Ian Lyons suggests
that after using PreCal, it is better to select a White Point of 'Native' in the OptiCal starting
window as other settings will undo the PreCal initial settings. This is not covered in the manual.
Is this something that should be done or is it even necessary?

Jimmy