Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Sony F717 Filter and Tripod questions

Sony F717 Filter and Tripod questions

Satish K

Hello,

I have Sony's Wide and Telephoto lens and have ordered a filter kit (
VF-58M ) from Sony. My question is will this filter work when I put these
lenses on? Or the filter only works when there are no additional lenses
attached to camera?

Also, what's the best tripod that works with Sony F717?

Thanks,

- Satish

Godfrey DiGiorgi

I don't know what's in the "filter kit". I only rarely have much use
for filters other than the occasional use of a polarizer, occasional
use of an ND, and use of an 89A plus ND or deep green for doing
daylight infrared photography.

But you should NOT mount a filter behind the accessory tele and wide
lenses unless you are looking for a specific effect. They tend to hurt
the lens performance as they move the accessory lens further away from
the main lens and change the optical formula.

Any good, sturdy tripod works well with the F717. Because it has such a
long lens to begin with (equiv. 190mm at full telephoto, equiv. 320mm
with the 1.7x extender) and because the wide angle and telextender
accessory lenses are quite heavy, I would suggest nothing lighter than
a Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 or equivalent for best results.

I use a Bogen/Manfrotto 3444D with Manfrotto 3265 or FOBA SuperMiniBall
Plus head. That's essentially a CF version of the 3021 and is overly
expensive, but wonderfully lightweight.

Godfrey

In article <dj%_a.17755$(E-Mail Removed)>, Satish K
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have Sony's Wide and Telephoto lens and have ordered a filter kit (
> VF-58M ) from Sony. My question is will this filter work when I put these
> lenses on? Or the filter only works when there are no additional lenses
> attached to camera?
>
> Also, what's the best tripod that works with Sony F717?

Satish K

Godfrey - Thanks for the answers. The kit includes one ND and one
multicoated filter. - Satish

news:140820032355358519%(E-Mail Removed)...