Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > SIP Compatible USB ATA?

SIP Compatible USB ATA?

Neil-Salem-MA-USA

I have hunted the Internet without success. (Perhaps I'm not looking
in the right place.) Where can I find an adapter (ATA) that connects
to the USB port of my computer. I wish to attach a conventional analog
phone to the ATA and attach the ATA to my computer.

I do not intend to use this with Skype. I will be using it with any
VOIP provider that uses open standards like SIP. I will install an SIP
softphone on my computer.

Thank you,

Neil
Salem, MA USA

Ivor Jones

"Neil-Salem-MA-USA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com
> I have hunted the Internet without success. (Perhaps I'm
> not looking in the right place.) Where can I find an
> adapter (ATA) that connects to the USB port of my
> computer. I wish to attach a conventional analog phone
> to the ATA and attach the ATA to my computer.
>
> I do not intend to use this with Skype. I will be using
> it with any VOIP provider that uses open standards like
> SIP. I will install an SIP softphone on my computer.

Is there any reason you can't use a normal ATA on an Ethernet port of a
router..? USB is not the most reliable means of communication at the best
of times and I have never understood why anyone would want to run a
computer to make/receive phone calls.

There are devices that will do what you want, but I don't recall the names
of any of them off by heart, but I still don't get why you would want to
do it.

Ivor

Jonathan Roberts

"Neil-Salem-MA-USA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> I have hunted the Internet without success. (Perhaps I'm not looking
> in the right place.) Where can I find an adapter (ATA) that connects
> to the USB port of my computer. I wish to attach a conventional analog
> phone to the ATA and attach the ATA to my computer.
>
> I do not intend to use this with Skype. I will be using it with any
> VOIP provider that uses open standards like SIP. I will install an SIP
> softphone on my computer.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Neil
> Salem, MA USA

Haven't heard of such a beast outside of Skype but maybe this will help:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index....=VOIP%20Phones

Jonathan

Neil-Salem-MA-USA

There's actually a very good reason for my wanting to use a computer, a
softphone, and the USB port. Phil Zimmerman has just released his
ZPhone and I wish to use it in combination with an SIP softphone and an
SIP provider.

ZPhone runs in the IP stack and establishes a peer to peer encryption
session with the called party. The encryption is extremely robust, and
more importantly, the encryption source code is available for public
review. One can see for himself that there are no back doors in the
ZPhone software.

Yes, some VOIP service providers use encryption, including Skype, but
their implementation of the encryption is kept secret. Others cannot
review their source code to look for back doors or alternate decryption
keys.

Also, with ZPhone, since the end points of the VOIP call are performing
the encryption, any attempt by agencies of the government to use the
provider's equipment to spy on citizens' private conversations will
fail, since the Zphone encryption does not happen in the provider's
infrastructure.

Neil
Salem, MA USA

Neil-Salem-MA-USA

Woops ..."ZPhone" should have been "Zfone". My apologies to Phil
Zimmerman.

Neil
Salem, MA USA

Enzo Michelangeli

If you run a softphone, why don't you just use an inexpensive analog
headset?

The USB device, in order to work, should be supported by the specific
softphone. Here they say that TigerJet-based USB devices can work with
X-Lite and other SIP softphones through a "TJinit Utility" available for
download:

http://www.cuphone.com/skype/thirdparty.htm
http://www.cuphone.com/software/download/TjInit878.exe

However, I never tried it.