Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: USB/W98 confusion

Re: USB/W98 confusion

dslr

> In an earlier post someone suggested I upgrade from W98 to W98 SE which
> supports USB so I could use a memory card reader.
>
> W98 does support USB. I have a scanner plugged into one USB port and it
> works fine. This is with W98.

That's correct - it was Win95 that didn't, with some support added in
Win95 OSR2.

--
regards,
dslr

Tom Scales

Yes, but the first edition of Win98 didn't support USB WELL. Many devices
require 98SE

Tom
"dslr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >
> > In an earlier post someone suggested I upgrade from W98 to W98 SE which
> > supports USB so I could use a memory card reader.
> >
> > W98 does support USB. I have a scanner plugged into one USB port and it
> > works fine. This is with W98.

> That's correct - it was Win95 that didn't, with some support added in
> Win95 OSR2.
>
> --
> regards,
> dslr

jmp

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 21:04:24 -0400, Tom Scales wrote:

> Yes, but the first edition of Win98 didn't support USB WELL. Many devices
> require 98SE
>
> Tom
> "dslr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>>
>>> In an earlier post someone suggested I upgrade from W98 to W98 SE which
>>> supports USB so I could use a memory card reader.
>>>
>>> W98 does support USB. I have a scanner plugged into one USB port and it
>>> works fine. This is with W98.

>> That's correct - it was Win95 that didn't, with some support added in
>> Win95 OSR2.
>>
>> --
>> regards,
>> dslr

I can't agree with this: I've Windows 98 and USB1 works very smoothly. But
I'm told it doesn't handle USB2. I was tempted to upgrade to W98SE but my
setup works nicely and I don't want to risk it.
Jean.

Paul B

I have to agree with the last poster. I have worked with probably a hundred
or more different USB devices on my Win 98 without problem. Perhaps the
confusion is with Firewire which is not supported under Win98 but is
supported in Win 98SE

jmp <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 21:04:24 -0400, Tom Scales wrote:
>
> > Yes, but the first edition of Win98 didn't support USB WELL. Many

devices
> > require 98SE
> >
> > Tom
> > "dslr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

which

it

> >> That's correct - it was Win95 that didn't, with some support added in
> >> Win95 OSR2.
> >>
> >> --
> >> regards,
> >> dslr

> I can't agree with this: I've Windows 98 and USB1 works very smoothly. But
> I'm told it doesn't handle USB2. I was tempted to upgrade to W98SE but my
> setup works nicely and I don't want to risk it.
> Jean.

David Cohen

Winxp is better than previous systems in recognizing usb devices. You
don't have to mess with loading a driver in many cases.
Dave Cohen

jmp <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 21:04:24 -0400, Tom Scales wrote:
>
> > Yes, but the first edition of Win98 didn't support USB WELL. Many devices
> > require 98SE
> >
> > Tom
> > "dslr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> That's correct - it was Win95 that didn't, with some support added in
> >> Win95 OSR2.
> >>
> >> --
> >> regards,
> >> dslr

> I can't agree with this: I've Windows 98 and USB1 works very smoothly. But
> I'm told it doesn't handle USB2. I was tempted to upgrade to W98SE but my
> setup works nicely and I don't want to risk it.
> Jean.

Marcia Beinhauer

My 5-year-old computer has Win98B, which supports USB well. With my new
computer, which has 98SE, I've had a heck of a time with USB. An Asus
motherboard and 98SE don't get on, as my experience and also Microsoft's
knowledge base have shown. The CD that came with the new Asus motherboard
allows loading the USB 2.2 driver only if the computer has XP, and Microsoft
isn't giving any support, i.e. USB drivers, for 98 and 98SE. My solution
was to get a USB card, adding 4 more ports, and the accompanying CD gave
me the necessary driver. The long way around.

Abrasha

Marcia Beinhauer wrote:

> My 5-year-old computer has Win98B, which supports USB well. With my new
> computer, which has 98SE, I've had a heck of a time with USB. An Asus
> motherboard and 98SE don't get on, as my experience and also Microsoft's
> knowledge base have shown. The CD that came with the new Asus motherboard
> allows loading the USB 2.2 driver only if the computer has XP, and Microsoft
> isn't giving any support, i.e. USB drivers, for 98 and 98SE. My solution
> was to get a USB card, adding 4 more ports, and the accompanying CD gave
> me the necessary driver. The long way around.

That's strange. I have an Asus P4T-E motherboard on my computer, and AI run 98
SE. I have no problem at all with USB transfers from my cameras (Canon S400) to
my computer.

98SE does have support for USB, but not USB 2.
--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com