Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Minolta Xt vs. Oly Stylus 300

Minolta Xt vs. Oly Stylus 300

Rudy Marcelletti, K8SWD

I am looking for a small, take with me all the time camera to supplement my
Oly C700UZ (for sale BTW--with bracket and FL40 flash and some cards, short
course) and have decided on either the Oly Stylus 300 or the Minolta Xt.
The basic downfall of the M Xt is the lack of WX-proofing of the Oly and the
Oly has a protruding lens and is a bit bigger and slower to start up. Other
than this--and price doesn't really matter--which one should I get. I am
leaning towards the Minolta simply because it is smaller, faster to use, and
more likely to be in my pocket.

I also considered the little Sony U30 but it is only 2mp with a fixed lens
and not many have much good to say about it. It is also small, but bulkier
than the Minolta, smaller than the Oly--but not in the same league as
either. On the plus side, the little Sony uses rechargeable AAA NiMH
batteries and at $200.00, is basically disposable.

Planned use is go anywhere, including on and off road bicycle and
motorcycle, hunting, fishing, casual and work.

What do you guys think?

--
Rudy Marcelletti, K8SWD

Frank ess

"Rudy Marcelletti, K8SWD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am looking for a small, take with me all the time camera to supplement

my
> Oly C700UZ (for sale BTW--with bracket and FL40 flash and some cards,

short
> course) and have decided on either the Oly Stylus 300 or the Minolta Xt.
> The basic downfall of the M Xt is the lack of WX-proofing of the Oly and

the
> Oly has a protruding lens and is a bit bigger and slower to start up.

Other
> than this--and price doesn't really matter--which one should I get. I am
> leaning towards the Minolta simply because it is smaller, faster to use,

and
> more likely to be in my pocket.

I use the Xt daily, and very happily. The pictures are good 3mpxs, it runs
quickly (opens at widest angle), and can be tricked into "adjustable
exposure". SDD memory works quick, too.

What I don't like, including but not limited to: in contrast to the Xi, the
low-battery light comes on pretty early. Battery is small, but will do close
to a 128MB card before it requires charge. The front-to-back dimenson is so
small (good) that I frequently photograph the edge of my left hand, which I
somehow believe is shading my view-eye (dolt-like), but I am learning.

What I like, including but not limited to: pictures are pretty sharp under
normal circumstances. Focuses as close as six inches, at full (105mm
equivalent?)telephoto fills the frame with a 2.25-inch object, give or take
an eighth. Records as much non-stop movie as you have memory. Takes a little
deeper push to turn it off than I was used to with the Xi.

Rudy Marcelletti, K8SWD

Thanks for the tips Frank. I bought the Xt after considering some of the
other little cameras, including the Stylus 300 and the Optio S. Of the 3, I
really liked the Oly the best simply because of its WX-proofness--but did
not like the protruding lens. Same with the Optio S--the lens has to
extend. Buttons on the S were smaller too. I already have a film Stylus
for really bad WX--so I went with the Xt this time.

Overall--I am pretty pleased with the Xt. I got some good pics at a MX
track on Friday, on a trail ride Saturday (I forgot I had it with me for
half the ride!) and then out fishing on Sunday (got skunked--happens when
after Northerns). Down side on the boat--the zoom doesn't reach the dock
babes!

Battery life is more than adequate for me. The flash is pretty lame--but
was expected. Good for around a table however, or for anything inside 10
feet or so. Got the 128 card. I have not shot a movie yet nor recorded
sound. It does not "look" like a "real" camera and you can pactically cover
the whole camera for a discreet shot and it does not intimidate people much
either. I was surprised how well the camer and its zoom worked at a
motocross track. Not my camera of choice for the track, but still it worked
OK. Not really an action shooter however--but you can lock in the focus and
exposure and pan. I am a happy camper. Oh--it worked well camping over the
weekend too!

--
Rudy Marcelletti, K8SWD
news:Jmz_a.21714$(E-Mail Removed).. .