Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > In-camera formatting of compact-flash inferior wrt fragmentation?

Reply
Thread Tools

In-camera formatting of compact-flash inferior wrt fragmentation?

 
 
Steven Lin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-13-2003
Personally, I think the following is bunk, but I'm still wondering if
there's any truth to the following?

The instructions that came with my CF card state that using a camera
for formatting may not correct fragmentation. It recommends using a
PC with a flash card reader to format the card from time to time.

Comments?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tom Thackrey
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-13-2003

On 13-Aug-2003, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Steven Lin) wrote:

> The instructions that came with my CF card state that using a camera
> for formatting may not correct fragmentation. It recommends using a
> PC with a flash card reader to format the card from time to time.


Sounds like BS, but who cares. I assume you're talking about a memory card
(not a microdrive) in which case fragmentation is a non-issue.

--
Tom Thackrey
www.creative-light.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Chris Watts
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-13-2003

"Tom Thackrey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:njv_a.1442$(E-Mail Removed) y.com...
>
> On 13-Aug-2003, (E-Mail Removed) (Steven Lin) wrote:
>
> > The instructions that came with my CF card state that using a camera
> > for formatting may not correct fragmentation. It recommends using a
> > PC with a flash card reader to format the card from time to time.

>
> Sounds like BS, but who cares. I assume you're talking about a memory card
> (not a microdrive) in which case fragmentation is a non-issue.


Fragmentation on memory cards CAN be a problem, as the users of the X-S
drive with the early firmware can attest to!
I agree that it is irrelevant with a newly formatted card. But try taking
several photos, deleting some and then taking more - likely result is
fragmented memory. But any decent firmware/software can cope with that.

Chris


 
Reply With Quote
 
Alan F Cross
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-13-2003
In message <orv_a.3173$(E-Mail Removed)9.net>, Chris Watts
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Seems highly suspect to me.
>But if you want to be ultra-sure then format first in a PC (in compliance
>with those instructions) then do it again
>in the camera (to ensure that the camera can right to it properly).
>Chris
>
>"Steven Lin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed). com...
>> Personally, I think the following is bunk, but I'm still wondering if
>> there's any truth to the following?
>>
>> The instructions that came with my CF card state that using a camera
>> for formatting may not correct fragmentation. It recommends using a
>> PC with a flash card reader to format the card from time to time.
>>
>> Comments?

>
>
>


I presume, on an XP or NT system, you have to be sure to format as
FAT32, and not NTFS. Is this so? And aren't some earlier cameras neither
of these, so these *have* to be done in camera or on an older OS.
--
Alan F Cross
 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris Watts
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-13-2003

> But I'd have to dive a bit deeper to find an OS-based FAT/16 formatter
> for my Coolpix. Or do what I'm doing at the moment - format in the
> camera.

There are lots of Win98 machines out there that allow it. But then I
believe in formatting in the camera anyway.
Chris



 
Reply With Quote
 
Ron Hunter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-13-2003
Steven Lin wrote:

> Personally, I think the following is bunk, but I'm still wondering if
> there's any truth to the following?
>
> The instructions that came with my CF card state that using a camera
> for formatting may not correct fragmentation. It recommends using a
> PC with a flash card reader to format the card from time to time.
>
> Comments?


First, it really doesn't MATTER as flash cards aren't written on in the
same way as regular hard disks. Also, they have no mechanical aspects,
so things like rotational latency and track to track access times are
meaningless.
If you delete all the files on a CF card, it should be as 'defragmented'
as it can get.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ron Hunter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-13-2003
Alan F Cross wrote:

> In message <orv_a.3173$(E-Mail Removed)9.net>, Chris Watts
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>
>> Seems highly suspect to me.
>> But if you want to be ultra-sure then format first in a PC (in compliance
>> with those instructions) then do it again
>> in the camera (to ensure that the camera can right to it properly).
>> Chris
>>
>> "Steven Lin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>>
>>> Personally, I think the following is bunk, but I'm still wondering if
>>> there's any truth to the following?
>>>
>>> The instructions that came with my CF card state that using a camera
>>> for formatting may not correct fragmentation. It recommends using a
>>> PC with a flash card reader to format the card from time to time.
>>>
>>> Comments?

>>
>>
>>
>>

>
> I presume, on an XP or NT system, you have to be sure to format as
> FAT32, and not NTFS. Is this so? And aren't some earlier cameras neither
> of these, so these *have* to be done in camera or on an older OS.

NO!
In any system you MUST specify FAT16 unless you have one of the large
capacity memory cards formatted in FAT32 (larger than 2 gig.), AND a
camera that can use FAT32!!


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ender W.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-14-2003
On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:29:06 -0500, Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Steven Lin wrote:
>
>> Personally, I think the following is bunk, but I'm still wondering if
>> there's any truth to the following?
>>
>> The instructions that came with my CF card state that using a camera
>> for formatting may not correct fragmentation. It recommends using a
>> PC with a flash card reader to format the card from time to time.
>>
>> Comments?

>
>First, it really doesn't MATTER as flash cards aren't written on in the
>same way as regular hard disks. Also, they have no mechanical aspects,
>so things like rotational latency and track to track access times are
>meaningless.
>If you delete all the files on a CF card, it should be as 'defragmented'
> as it can get.
>

That's a fact! But if you really want to be sure, format it in the
camera. There is no value in formatting it with the OS. After you
delete all the pictures off the card, just look in the directory.
There are no files!

GH
 
Reply With Quote
 
Steven Lin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2003
(E-Mail Removed) (Steven Lin) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Personally, I think the following is bunk, but I'm still wondering if
> there's any truth to the following?
>
> The instructions that came with my CF card state that using a camera
> for formatting may not correct fragmentation. It recommends using a
> PC with a flash card reader to format the card from time to time.
>
> Comments?


Just following up. I've done a bit of research and while I haven't
found any evidence that in-camera formatting is any different from a
PC, I did discover some information about flash memory.

If power is lost when writing to flash a logical error can occur in
the corresponding sector. Writes to that sector are disabled. This
is possibly what my CF card manufacturer meant by fragmentation. The
sectors can only be reused by formatting the flash again.

--
Steven
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Asus / Apple top Laptop reliability, HP & Dell inferior. PeeCee Computer Support 2 12-04-2010 08:37 AM
OOXML "Technically Inferior" peterwn NZ Computing 67 02-13-2008 07:16 PM
Bluray Video Codec Inferior to HD-DVD porky DVD Video 16 07-14-2006 01:32 AM
SanDisk Memory Stick Pro inferior to Sony's? Steve Lee Digital Photography 7 07-20-2004 05:34 PM
Question: are Coolpix 4500s inferior quality? Doug Whittier Digital Photography 5 10-30-2003 05:32 PM



Advertisments