Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What is the resolution of commercial printing?

What is the resolution of commercial printing?

Jeff

If I hire, say a SamsClub or WalMart to print my digital photos on 4x6
or 5x7 normal RC paper, what would be the highest resolution (dpi)
that can be printed? For example, I cannot tell any difference on
prints higher than 300dpi on my photo inkjet printer.

The reason is - I would like to know the largest commercial print I
can go on a 4MP image.

Secondly, who has the highest quality print from digital?

Aaron Queenan

The digital prints using micromirror technology are either 200 or 300 dpi.
I've seen prints at 200 dpi on photographic paper, and you'd be hard pressed
to tell the difference between that and a print from a negative.

Regards,
Aaron Queenan.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If I hire, say a SamsClub or WalMart to print my digital photos on 4x6
> or 5x7 normal RC paper, what would be the highest resolution (dpi)
> that can be printed? For example, I cannot tell any difference on
> prints higher than 300dpi on my photo inkjet printer.
>
> The reason is - I would like to know the largest commercial print I
> can go on a 4MP image.
>
> Secondly, who has the highest quality print from digital?

Scott

If the place uses a Fuji Frontier machine, it prints at 300ppi. If
they use a Noritsu machine, it prints at 400ppi. The largest size
you'll be able to print with a Frontier is 5.5"x8" (3:2 factor) or
4"x6" on the Noritsu @ 400ppi.

If you use a solid ink jet printer, you'll be able to get up to 8x12
at 200ppi. I wouldn't recommend going any lower than 200 (with
275-300 being ideal).

There is a good scan/print calculator here:

http://www.scantips.com/calc.html

Scott

Jeff <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> If I hire, say a SamsClub or WalMart to print my digital photos on 4x6
> or 5x7 normal RC paper, what would be the highest resolution (dpi)
> that can be printed? For example, I cannot tell any difference on
> prints higher than 300dpi on my photo inkjet printer.
>
> The reason is - I would like to know the largest commercial print I
> can go on a 4MP image.
>
> Secondly, who has the highest quality print from digital?

Don Coon

"Scott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> If the place uses a Fuji Frontier machine, it prints at 300ppi. If
> they use a Noritsu machine, it prints at 400ppi. The largest size
> you'll be able to print with a Frontier is 5.5"x8" (3:2 factor)....

Your reply reads like you're saying the Fuji system *requires* 300ppi. The
system will take what you give it.

For example, a 4MP shot can do an 8x10 at ~215ppi -- no problem.

> If you use a solid ink jet printer, you'll be able to get up to 8x12
> at 200ppi. I wouldn't recommend going any lower than 200 (with
> 275-300 being ideal).
>
> There is a good scan/print calculator here:
>
> http://www.scantips.com/calc.html
>
> Scott
>

> Jeff <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> > If I hire, say a SamsClub or WalMart to print my digital photos on 4x6
> > or 5x7 normal RC paper, what would be the highest resolution (dpi)
> > that can be printed? For example, I cannot tell any difference on
> > prints higher than 300dpi on my photo inkjet printer.
> >
> > The reason is - I would like to know the largest commercial print I
> > can go on a 4MP image.
> >
> > Secondly, who has the highest quality print from digital?

Jeff

Thanks for the info..

Next, should I save my images as RGB or CMYK for commercial printing?

Bobby New York

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 22:59:49 +0200, Michael Schnell wrote:

> ... and what color resolution do they produce ( 8 Bit, 12 Bit, ... ?

They are all color.

Flycaster

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the info..
>
> Next, should I save my images as RGB or CMYK for commercial printing?

RGB.

George Kerby

On 8/13/03 3:56 PM, in article http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed),
"Jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Thanks for the info..
>
> Next, should I save my images as RGB or CMYK for commercial printing?

RGB

George Kerby

On 8/13/03 5:15 PM, in article (E-Mail Removed), "Bobby New
York" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 22:59:49 +0200, Michael Schnell wrote:
>
>> ... and what color resolution do they produce ( 8 Bit, 12 Bit, ... ?

> They are all color.

Yeah, but he was asking about the depth.
Better call your lab. Everybody does 8. The higher ones can be resampled but
if they have to do it they charge extra. They will also tell you other
parameters that they will accept. If you don't do the files a specific way:
extra $$$$

John E. Budzinski

If I may chirp in here a bit:
I am not using a commercial printer by the strick definiation -- more of
midrange reprographics type stuff. But, I was given a disc and printout of
the printer being used for my photos/artwork etc. I used it to calibrate my
monitor and tweek Photoshop to match this. I have had great results. Also,
as was said below, "IF YOU ARE PRINTING COMMERCIALLY, GET INTO AN INTIMATE
RELATIONSHIP WITH > YOUR PRINTER AND DO WHAT THE PRINTER SAYS, NOT WHAT
SOMEONE ELSE SAYS" Yes!!! This holds true even with photos that may be
displayed or sold. The lab I use is great and I have learned their madness
and limitations and they have learned mine. I compensate for it before I
sent work to them and they know when I missed something. I pay more than I
would like, but, I am my customers love the results.
"Scott Ranger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ItK_a.99233$(E-Mail Removed) et...
> I've missed the first part of this thread but want to throw a big "WHOA!"

on
> this question's answer. If you are working on anything that will be
> commercially printed, you *MUST* work with either a designer who really
> knows his stuff and/or the actual printer who will place the ink on the
> paper. The answer to this question is NOT so simple. IT DEPENDS! On many
> things! I'm the prepress guy at a print shop and I have to deal with

fouled
> up files every day, done by people who, because they have a computer and a
> program that *seems* to do what they want it to, instantly think of
> themselves as designers. The bane of my existence! In many cases, it costs
> the customer more for me to fix his problems than if he had me do it in

the