Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Infra-red on digital camera?

Infra-red on digital camera?

Jeff

Is it possible to take an infra-red photo with a digital camera?
or would it be possible to modify a color photo in photoshop to give
infra-red b&w appearance?

Jeffrey Czapla-Myers

Jeff wrote:
> Is it possible to take an infra-red photo with a digital camera?
> or would it be possible to modify a color photo in photoshop to give
> infra-red b&w appearance?

Yes and yes. For the IR photo, you want to use a filter that passes IR
and blocks visible light. I've used a Hoya R72 and a B+W 093 with my
Nikon 950 in black and white mode. One thing you might want to check is
whether your camera has an IR-blocking filter in it. This will cause
problems because it is doing exactly the opposite of what you want. You
can check this by pointing a remote control at the camera, press any
button, and see if you can see it.

Regarding your other question, I seem to remember a post where someone
had created an IR-like filter for Photoshop. I don't think it was free
though. Try a Google search...

Regards,
jeff

john.

Check out...
http://www.dpreview.com/learn/Photog...Photography_01
..htm

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is it possible to take an infra-red photo with a digital camera?
> or would it be possible to modify a color photo in photoshop to give
> infra-red b&w appearance?

Godfrey DiGiorgi

The Sony F717 and V1 are probably the most capable IR digicams on the
market, although there are many others IR sensitive enough to be quite
useful.

You can always manipulate a color or B&W image to give the appearance
of IR with an image editing program, but you cannot produce an IR image
from any visible light image. The difference is that an IR image is
recording light not visible in a visible light image, so the
relationships of tonalities in false-IR images may appear similar but
cannot be the same thing.

Godfrey

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jeff
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is it possible to take an infra-red photo with a digital camera?
> or would it be possible to modify a color photo in photoshop to give
> infra-red b&w appearance?

mcgyverjones

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is it possible to take an infra-red photo with a digital camera?
> or would it be possible to modify a color photo in photoshop to give
> infra-red b&w appearance?

Actually digital cameras are very sensitive to IR and have sensor filters to
cut it back.
You can test your cameras sensitivity by looking at a TV remote through the
cameras LCD and pressing a button on the remote. You should be able to see
the transmitter LED very clearly. Cool huh?

MJ

gr

"mcgyverjones" <mcgyverjones(spamout)@hotmail.com> wrote
> Actually digital cameras are very sensitive to IR and have sensor filters

> cut it back.
> You can test your cameras sensitivity by looking at a TV remote through

the
> cameras LCD and pressing a button on the remote. You should be able to see
> the transmitter LED very clearly. Cool huh?

Very cool!

Anyone know the frequency that digicams are sensitive down to?

Dave Martindale

"mcgyverjones" <mcgyverjones(spamout)@hotmail.com> writes:

>You can test your cameras sensitivity by looking at a TV remote through the
>cameras LCD and pressing a button on the remote. You should be able to see
>the transmitter LED very clearly. Cool huh?

That's not a very useful test, since the IR LED in the remote control is
so bright. Almost any camera should be able to see some IR in those
circumstance. If all cameras pass the test, the test doesn't tell you
much about sensitivity.

What you really care about is how long the exposures need to be when
shooting IR in ambient light, like outdoors in daylight. To judge that,
you'll need an IR filter.

If you want something sensitive enough to work in complete darkness with
an IR light source, you will probably need a camera that can remove its
internal IR-blocking filter entirely (some Sony models).

Dave

Godfrey DiGiorgi

> Anyone know the frequency that digicams are sensitive down to?

I've found using a 1000A cutoff IR filter very successful for shooting
monochrome IR with the Sony F7x7 cameras ...

with B+W 093 plus ND:
http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/pho...f/PAW2/48a.htm
http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/pho...f/PAW2/48b.htm
http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/pho...f/PAW2/48c.htm
http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/pho...f/PAW2/48d.htm
http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/pho...f/PAW2/48e.htm

However, if your interest is broader-scope and you would like to
produce false color images as well, a 650A to 720A cutoff filter would
be my choice ...

with B+W 092 plus X1 (deep green):
http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/photostuff/PAW3/01.htm
http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/pho...f/PAW3/01a.htm

All of these are taken using the Sony's "NightShot" mode and so did not
require tripod and extended shutter times.

Godfrey

Matt Arnold

Hi,

The Fuji 6900Z & s602 are sensitive to IR enough to produce some stunning
photographs. There are plenty of books on the market for IR photography that
you can read and get more info on the subject, then go and play with your
camera after checking it can "see" nIR wavelengths.

For more details on the TV remote test and taking IR photographs with Fuji
6900Z / s602 (and maybe 4900Z - can anyone confirm this?), take a look at
http://www.camerashed.co.uk/project7.asp.

Have fun seeing the world with new eyes - it's an "other world" experience.

Matt Arnold
Go further with your Fuji cam: http://www.camerashed.co.uk