Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > looking for lanyard that screws into tripod mount

looking for lanyard that screws into tripod mount

Ronald O. Christian

The first (and so far only) thing that broke on my Sony P32 was the
rather cheesy lanyard tie point, which is just a very tiny piece of
metal embedded in plastic. I had inherited a Bolsey 35mm camera from
my grandfather, which had a parachute cord lanyard that screwed into
the tripod mount. It worked fine with the Sony so I've been using it
pretty steadily these last three months.

The problem is, the lanyard is probably 50 years old (or more) and the
parachute cord is falling apart. The concept (of a lanyard that
screws into the tripod mount) is ideal for this particular
application, and indeed probably has application for any small (rather
expensive) digital cameras. I'd like to find a replacement, but a
visit to various camera stores has yielded nothing so far. Is there
such a product in this day and age?

BTW, I still have the Bolsey. The shutter still works. I'm tempted
to put some film in it and see what it does.

Ron
-
http://www.christianfamilywebsite.com
http://www.iswizards.com
Definition: Nelp: Contraction of "no help". Colloquial: Help
messages that are of no help whatsoever. Pretains to help files,
messages or documentation that convey no useful information, or
pedantically repeat the blindingly obvious.

Phil Stripling

Ronald O. Christian <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> The problem is, the lanyard is probably 50 years old (or more) and the
> parachute cord is falling apart. The concept (of a lanyard that
> screws into the tripod mount) is ideal for this particular
> application, and indeed probably has application for any small (rather
> expensive) digital cameras.

You probably can make one. Use climbing rope from REI or the like and a
bolt that is the standard 1/4 inch x 20 -- you probably can find a bolt
with a ring on it. If not, get a wing nut.

Pete

"Phil Stripling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ronald O. Christian <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> > The problem is, the lanyard is probably 50 years old (or more) and the
> > parachute cord is falling apart. The concept (of a lanyard that
> > screws into the tripod mount) is ideal for this particular
> > application, and indeed probably has application for any small (rather
> > expensive) digital cameras.

Berkley Point do a Mini Coil Camera Tether/Strap
has a tripod bolt

http://www.berkeleypoint.com/products/tools/mct3.html

tim sewell

"Phil Stripling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> You probably can make one. Use climbing rope from REI or the like and a
> bolt that is the standard 1/4 inch x 20 -- you probably can find a bolt
> with a ring on it. If not, get a wing nut.

Just a suggestion - if you go the route of a DIY lanyard, it could be a good
idea to incorporate a locking nut under the camera tripod socket, otherwise
the lanyard might well unscrew over time, with potentially damaging results.
Perhaps your grandfather's lanyard has something that you could use for this
purpose?

Tim S.

This is kind of fun.
A lanyard is a rope or tie to keep you from dropping, losing or otherwise
misplacing something - like a compass or little camera. You put the rope or
chain or whatever it is around your neck or attach it to your belt or other
part of your clothing. Then you put the item away in a pocket or its
container. If you fall down or get clumsy or forgetful, or someone tries to
steal it, you are saved by the rope or tie. Truckers use chains on their
wallets - technically could be a lanyard too. Some people have their keys
on long 'things' and attached to their person or briefcase or purse for that
reason.

I keep my little Nikon on its lanyard around my neck, then place the camera
in my shirt pocket. When I bend over mindlessly the camera falls out of the
pocket but is saved by the lanyard.

Sorry I can't help with the original question, though - where to get a
tripod mount screw in lanyard.

"Phil Stripling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ender W. <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> > trying to find out what a lanyard is! It's probably not anything like
> > you want, but I really still don't know what a lanyard is!

> http://www.ustacticalsupply.com/lanyard.shtml
> http://www.thespacestore.com/lanyard.html
> http://store.yahoo.com/idsuperstoreusa/lanyards.html

http://www.epinions.com/Apparel_Acce...xe_Lanyard/dis
play_~latest_prices

> --
> Philip Stripling | email to the replyto address is presumed
> Legal Assistance on the Web | spam and read later. email to philip@
> http://www.PhilipStripling.com/ | my domain is read daily.

Ronald O. Christian

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:25:47 +1000, "tim sewell"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Phil Stripling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> You probably can make one. Use climbing rope from REI or the like and a
>> bolt that is the standard 1/4 inch x 20 -- you probably can find a bolt
>> with a ring on it. If not, get a wing nut.
>>

>Just a suggestion - if you go the route of a DIY lanyard, it could be a good
>idea to incorporate a locking nut under the camera tripod socket, otherwise
>the lanyard might well unscrew over time, with potentially damaging results.
>Perhaps your grandfather's lanyard has something that you could use for this
>purpose?

It has a lock washer, yes.

Ron
-
http://www.christianfamilywebsite.com
http://www.iswizards.com
Definition: Nelp: Contraction of "no help". Colloquial: Help
messages that are of no help whatsoever. Pretains to help files,
messages or documentation that convey no useful information, or
pedantically repeat the blindingly obvious.

Phil Stripling

Ronald O. Christian <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:25:47 +1000, "tim sewell"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Just a suggestion - if you go the route of a DIY lanyard, it could be a good
> >idea to incorporate a locking nut under the camera tripod socket, otherwise
> >the lanyard might well unscrew over time, with potentially damaging results.
> >Perhaps your grandfather's lanyard has something that you could use for this
> >purpose?

> It has a lock washer, yes.

Tim makes an excellent suggestion for safety.

I've been using a lanyard on my Nikonos for years, but I have it tied
through the lens strap ring. I've forgotten what camera you're using, but I
assume it doesn't have a lens strap ring to use instead the tripod mount?
Many digital cameras don't provide for neck straps nowadays.

(My lanyard fits over my wrist, by the way, to keep the camera at hand
while snorkeling.)

Phil Stripling

Ender W. <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> trying to find out what a lanyard is! It's probably not anything like
> you want, but I really still don't know what a lanyard is!

http://www.ustacticalsupply.com/lanyard.shtml
http://www.thespacestore.com/lanyard.html
http://store.yahoo.com/idsuperstoreusa/lanyards.html
http://www.epinions.com/Apparel_Acce...~latest_prices

Buster

How about making your own? Go to the hardware store and ask for a
1/4-20 eye bolt, attach some rope (string, leather, whatever) and
there you go! An eye bolt is a bolt with a hole in the end (sort of).
Buster

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 09:32:31 -0400, "D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>This is kind of fun.
>A lanyard is a rope or tie to keep you from dropping, losing or otherwise
>misplacing something - like a compass or little camera. You put the rope or
>chain or whatever it is around your neck or attach it to your belt or other
>part of your clothing. Then you put the item away in a pocket or its
>container. If you fall down or get clumsy or forgetful, or someone tries to
>steal it, you are saved by the rope or tie. Truckers use chains on their
>wallets - technically could be a lanyard too. Some people have their keys
>on long 'things' and attached to their person or briefcase or purse for that
>reason.
>
>I keep my little Nikon on its lanyard around my neck, then place the camera
>in my shirt pocket. When I bend over mindlessly the camera falls out of the
>pocket but is saved by the lanyard.
>
>Sorry I can't help with the original question, though - where to get a
>tripod mount screw in lanyard.

>"Phil Stripling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ender W. <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>
>> > trying to find out what a lanyard is! It's probably not anything like
>> > you want, but I really still don't know what a lanyard is!

>> http://www.ustacticalsupply.com/lanyard.shtml
>> http://www.thespacestore.com/lanyard.html
>> http://store.yahoo.com/idsuperstoreusa/lanyards.html
>>

>http://www.epinions.com/Apparel_Acce...xe_Lanyard/dis
>play_~latest_prices
>>
>> --
>> Philip Stripling | email to the replyto address is presumed
>> Legal Assistance on the Web | spam and read later. email to philip@
>> http://www.PhilipStripling.com/ | my domain is read daily.

Abrasha

"Ender W." wrote:

> Boy, do I feel stupid. I found this lanyard with a search engine
>
> http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/sc/ma...88418&lhalf=bp
>
> trying to find out what a lanyard is! It's probably not anything like
> you want, but I really still don't know what a lanyard is!
>
> GH

It's originally a nautical term.

Pronunciation: 'lan-y&rd
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English lanyer thong, strap, from Middle French laniere
Date: 1626
1 : a piece of rope or line for fastening something in a ship; especially : one
of the pieces passing through deadeyes to extend shrouds or stays
2 a : a cord or strap to hold something (as a knife or a whistle) and usually
worn around the neck b : a cord worn as a symbol of a military citation
3 : a strong line used to activate a system (as in firing a cannon or sounding a
whistle)

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Olypus C-5050 Tripod Mount Screws pc_whocares Digital Photography 1 12-10-2008 12:32 AM
tripod screws TS Digital Photography 2 08-07-2004 05:56 PM
Re: Sigma gives up on Foveon and SA mount lenses, turns to Kodak for Sensor, and moves to Canon Lens Mount Steven M. Scharf Digital Photography 5 05-18-2004 09:06 PM
Logoband - schlusselband - lanyard EuroFabrika.com Firefox 0 09-28-2003 09:39 PM

Advertisments