Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Ink is ink is ink? Or no?

Ink is ink is ink? Or no?

Mike Graham

I have a Ko-Rec-Type refill kit for the black ink cartridge in my HP PSC
750. I am planning on buying magenta/cyan/yellow ink for the colour
cartridge. Is the ink that Ko-Rec-Type sells notably worse than the stuff
that HP puts in the cartridge at the factory? I remember hearing that the
HP ink was a bit 'different' than the stuff that the other big companies
use. Given that I am very happy with the results that I get from the stock
HP cartridge with HP ink, would I be unhappy with a refill with Ko-Rec-Type
ink? Is there an upper-crusty supplier of standard magenta/cyan/yellow inks
that is reasonably easy to obtain (doesn't need to be mail-ordered)?

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) |

Jim Waggener

"Mike Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a Ko-Rec-Type refill kit for the black ink cartridge in my HP PSC
> 750. I am planning on buying magenta/cyan/yellow ink for the colour
> cartridge. Is the ink that Ko-Rec-Type sells notably worse than the stuff
> that HP puts in the cartridge at the factory? I remember hearing that the
> HP ink was a bit 'different' than the stuff that the other big companies
> use. Given that I am very happy with the results that I get from the

stock
> HP cartridge with HP ink, would I be unhappy with a refill with

Ko-Rec-Type
> ink? Is there an upper-crusty supplier of standard magenta/cyan/yellow

inks
> that is reasonably easy to obtain (doesn't need to be mail-ordered)?

Easy test to do. Print one on HP and the cheap stuff. There's the answer.
I always prefer single-malt Scotch to moonshine. Costs more..tastes better.

Mark M

"Jim Waggener" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Mike Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have a Ko-Rec-Type refill kit for the black ink cartridge in my HP

PSC
> > 750. I am planning on buying magenta/cyan/yellow ink for the colour
> > cartridge. Is the ink that Ko-Rec-Type sells notably worse than the

stuff
> > that HP puts in the cartridge at the factory? I remember hearing that

the
> > HP ink was a bit 'different' than the stuff that the other big companies
> > use. Given that I am very happy with the results that I get from the

> stock
> > HP cartridge with HP ink, would I be unhappy with a refill with

> Ko-Rec-Type
> > ink? Is there an upper-crusty supplier of standard magenta/cyan/yellow

> inks
> > that is reasonably easy to obtain (doesn't need to be mail-ordered)?

> Easy test to do. Print one on HP and the cheap stuff. There's the

answer.
> I always prefer single-malt Scotch to moonshine. Costs more..tastes

better.

Not true.
Your suggestion will compare initial appearance ONLY.
Longevity issues with fading and color shifts are far more complicated to
test, and are far more likely to manifest themselves eventually.

Savidge4

> I have a Ko-Rec-Type refill kit for the black ink cartridge in my HP PSC
>750. I am planning on buying magenta/cyan/yellow ink for the colour
>cartridge. Is the ink that Ko-Rec-Type sells notably worse than the stuff
>that HP puts in the cartridge at the factory? I remember hearing that the
>HP ink was a bit 'different' than the stuff that the other big companies
>use. Given that I am very happy with the results that I get from the stock
>HP cartridge with HP ink, would I be unhappy with a refill with Ko-Rec-Type
>ink? Is there an upper-crusty supplier of standard magenta/cyan/yellow inks
>that is reasonably easy to obtain (doesn't need to be mail-ordered)?

All inks are not created equal. If your intention is to simply use the black
ink for "standard" output, meaning letters and text, then the "cheap" stuff is
fine. The moment you want more from the ink, I am a personal believer in the
HP line to use HP ink.

The moment you get into photo papers and the like you are no longer printing on
paper you are setting a chemical reaction in action. From my own personal
tests I have never found a replacement (for HP) that equals the ink from HP.

Generally speaking with 2nd party inks they tend to sit on the surface and
never adhere to the specialty media.

now if we were talking about Epson products the answer would be the exact
opposite, and I would say that there are actually inks that perform better than
Epsons own inks.

I often wonder why the likes of Lyson or Ilford do not make inks for HP.

Pat Chaney

On 13/8/03 4:45 am, "Mark M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Your suggestion will compare initial appearance ONLY.
> Longevity issues with fading and color shifts are far more complicated to
> test, and are far more likely to manifest themselves eventually.

Not to mention clogging of print heads, and related problems. I tried a
third party ink refill system a few years ago, and I wouldn't touch then
with a 10 foot pole now.

Pat
--
Photos at:
http://www.shuttercity.com/ShowGalle...ll&AcctID=1251

Mike Graham

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Savidge4 wrote:

> The moment you get into photo papers and the like you are no longer printing on
> paper you are setting a chemical reaction in action. From my own personal
> tests I have never found a replacement (for HP) that equals the ink from HP.

Do you happen to know if HP sells the ink separately? I've already got
'the technology' to put the ink in the cartridge... if I can buy bottles of
yellow/cyan/magenta ink from HP then I'd be off to the races. Those
cartridges cost a bundle! And it seems like you always run out of just one
colour, 85% through an 8x10 print.

(E-Mail Removed) |

Ron Hunter

Mike Graham wrote:
> In article <nwi_a.43883$Bp2.11109@fed1read07>, Mark M wrote:
>

>>Not true.
>>Your suggestion will compare initial appearance ONLY.
>>Longevity issues with fading and color shifts are far more complicated to
>>test, and are far more likely to manifest themselves eventually.

> So is there some resource somewhere that compares the inks and will give
> me the information that I desire?

To say 'ink is ink' is like saying coffee is coffee. You get what you
pay for.

Mike Graham

In article <rQp_a.4852$(E-Mail Removed) >, Paul Cordes wrote:

> Some reading here
> http://www.wilhelm-research.com/pdf/...ce_06_2000.pdf
> But I don't think that he has tested your ink.
> What you will see that the ink and paper combination makes a huge difference
> on longevity of prints.

I have so far used only HPs Premium Plus photo paper (usually matte, since
I frame under glass) so it looks like my paper choice has been a good one.
Mind you, I'm not using a six-ink system, so maybe I'm not getting all of
the longevity I could hope for, but it'll do for the moment. I can always
re-print.

(E-Mail Removed) |