Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon Coolpix 5000 Question - Shooting a Rock Show

Nikon Coolpix 5000 Question - Shooting a Rock Show

Master Volume

Anybody with a Nikon Coolpix 5000 out there that can help me out with
some shooting tips? I'm wondering what the best settings would be if
i'm shooting a live band indoors with low light and lots of movement.
everything i've tried so far gives me some really trippy and sometimes
cool results but i'd really like the image to be clear so you can make
out the persons face, y'know? I'm not opposed to using flash although
usually the rule of thumb at rock shows is to turn it off. Any
suggestions?

MV.

Kenwood

Try setting the flash in rear synch mode and use a shutter speed somewhere
around 1/15-1/30
You'll still get the "trippy movments" along with the freeze of motion when
the flash goes.

Without the flash, you'll have to set the camera to a high ISO and wide
aperature.
This still might not be enough though as the lighting is dim.

Use NeatImage or similiar plugin in Photoshop to reduce the grain from the
high ISO images.

Good luck,
Steven

"Master Volume" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Anybody with a Nikon Coolpix 5000 out there that can help me out with
> some shooting tips? I'm wondering what the best settings would be if
> i'm shooting a live band indoors with low light and lots of movement.
> everything i've tried so far gives me some really trippy and sometimes
> cool results but i'd really like the image to be clear so you can make
> out the persons face, y'know? I'm not opposed to using flash although
> usually the rule of thumb at rock shows is to turn it off. Any
> suggestions?
>
> MV.

Juan R. Pollo

"Kenwood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Ind_a.16868$(E-Mail Removed) et...

> Without the flash, you'll have to set the camera to a high ISO and wide
> aperature.
> This still might not be enough though as the lighting is dim.
>
> Use NeatImage or similiar plugin in Photoshop to reduce the grain from the
> high ISO images.

"Dim" is a relative term in shows, there may be overall darkness but the
performers usually have several lights trained on them. A long lens will
give you great shots without sacrificing ISO. Forget the drummer, his arms
will be blurs unless you shoot in slow songs. I would also suggest a
monopod. Flash will ruin the show's lighting.

Also, you *do* have a permit, don't you?

Juan

Master Volume

I know all the general rules of thumb for shooting shows as I've shot
many, I was basically just looking for technical tips from any other
Coolpix 5000 users.

MV.

"Juan R. Pollo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<iFe_a.98421$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "Kenwood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Ind_a.16868$(E-Mail Removed) et...
> >
> > Without the flash, you'll have to set the camera to a high ISO and wide
> > aperature.
> > This still might not be enough though as the lighting is dim.
> >
> > Use NeatImage or similiar plugin in Photoshop to reduce the grain from the
> > high ISO images.

> "Dim" is a relative term in shows, there may be overall darkness but the
> performers usually have several lights trained on them. A long lens will
> give you great shots without sacrificing ISO. Forget the drummer, his arms
> will be blurs unless you shoot in slow songs. I would also suggest a
> monopod. Flash will ruin the show's lighting.
>
> Also, you *do* have a permit, don't you?
>
> Juan

Ed Ruf

On 12 Aug 2003 14:01:36 -0700, in rec.photo.digital
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Master Volume) wrote:

>Anybody with a Nikon Coolpix 5000 out there that can help me out with
>some shooting tips? I'm wondering what the best settings would be if
>i'm shooting a live band indoors with low light and lots of movement.
>everything i've tried so far gives me some really trippy and sometimes
>cool results but i'd really like the image to be clear so you can make
>out the persons face, y'know? I'm not opposed to using flash although
>usually the rule of thumb at rock shows is to turn it off. Any
>suggestions?

If exposures are long consider using the BSS function.
http://members.cox.net/egruf
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam