Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > optimisation for the web

optimisation for the web

chaz

i have a web template which i only have to replace the photos with mine but
even if i keep to exactly the same dimensions and dpi, even saving at the
lowest jpg settings my files still end up double the size of the sample ones
that came with it, yet look far worse (jpg artifacts?) whats the knack to
rezizing what are very good quality photos to a specific size, say, 100x70
pixels at 72 dpi?

BTW i use PS7.

chaz

Lucas Tam

"chaz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:wGQZa.3415$(E-Mail Removed):

> i have a web template which i only have to replace the photos with
> mine but even if i keep to exactly the same dimensions and dpi, even
> saving at the lowest jpg settings my files still end up double the
> size of the sample ones that came with it, yet look far worse (jpg
> artifacts?) whats the knack to rezizing what are very good quality
> photos to a specific size, say, 100x70 pixels at 72 dpi?
>
> BTW i use PS7.

I use Irfanview to do batch resizing. Make sure you strip out the EXIF data
on thumbnails to make them smaller (Irfanview has an option to ignore exif
data).

--
Lucas Tam ((E-Mail Removed))

Jeff Zawrotny

"chaz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wGQZa.3415$(E-Mail Removed)...
> i have a web template which i only have to replace the photos with mine

but
> even if i keep to exactly the same dimensions and dpi, even saving at the
> lowest jpg settings my files still end up double the size of the sample

ones
> that came with it, yet look far worse (jpg artifacts?) whats the knack to
> rezizing what are very good quality photos to a specific size, say, 100x70
> pixels at 72 dpi?
>
> BTW i use PS7.
>
> chaz

Two things... use the "Save for Web" option in Photoshop 7. It allows you
see what your jpeg will look like at several different compression levels
and also saves the jpegs with minimal header information.

Secondly, not all jpegs of the same dimensions compress the same. The more
detail there is in the image, the less you'll be able to compress without
noticeable artifacts.

- Jeff