Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Olympus E1 samples at DPR

Olympus E1 samples at DPR

Todd Walker

Here is a link to Phil Askey's E1 pictures:

http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/olympuse1_samples1/

Those of you who have been waiting to see them can go ahead and order
your 10D/D100/S2 now.

--
________________________________
Todd Walker

Roland Karlsson

Todd Walker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:MPG.19a17a18b6ad0a798a3f5
@news-server.jam.rr.com:

> Those of you who have been waiting to see them can go ahead and order
> your 10D/D100/S2 now.

It sure looks that way - if the E1 is not defective or
Phil has made some mistakes. Those pictures does not look
stunning and the noise test is not good.

Roland

Todd Walker

In article <Xns93D4BE1AF5F9Drolandkarlssonchello@130.133.1.4> ,
> It sure looks that way - if the E1 is not defective or
> Phil has made some mistakes. Those pictures does not look
> stunning and the noise test is not good.
>

> Roland

The results are no better than I got with my E20. I for one am glad I
didn't wait for the E1.

--
________________________________
Todd Walker
http://twalker.d2g.com/canon10d
My Digital Photography Weblog:
http://twalker.d2g.com/dpblog.htm
_________________________________

Pat Chaney

On 11/8/03 5:41 pm, "Roland Karlsson" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> It sure looks that way - if the E1 is not defective or
> Phil has made some mistakes. Those pictures does not look
> stunning and the noise test is not good.

I'm amazed that they left the ISO 3200 mode in the E-1 design with those
noise levels.

Pat
--
Photos at:
http://www.shuttercity.com/ShowGalle...ll&AcctID=1251

John Navas

In <(E-Mail Removed)> on Mon, 11 Aug 2003
16:00:37 GMT, Todd Walker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Here is a link to Phil Askey's E1 pictures:
>
>http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/olympuse1_samples1/
>
>Those of you who have been waiting to see them can go ahead and order
>your 10D/D100/S2 now.

I'd say that's jumping the gun. From
<http://www.dpreview.com/articles/olympuse1/>:

IMPORTANT NOTE: This is not a review - I have posted no conclusion and my
initial findings may change for the final review. Our final review will
include several more tests and features as well as refined comparisons.

--
Best regards,
John Navas

Roland Karlsson

Pat Chaney <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:BB6041AB.3E425%(E-Mail Removed):

> I'm amazed that they left the ISO 3200 mode in the E-1 design with those
> noise levels.

I am amazed that camera manufacturers don't have higher ISOs.
It is up to the user if he can accept the disco light artefacts
or not ISO 12,800 could look just amazing!

Roland

Roland Karlsson

John Navas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:8pA_a.11524$dk4.435232
@typhoon.sonic.net:

> I'd say that's jumping the gun.

No - not really. Most people would only buy the E1 if it
is superior in image quality. If it is not, most people
will choose another camera IMHO.

There will always be a (small?) percentage for which the
E1 (without superior performance) is the right choice,
technically or emotionally.

The preview indicate quite clearly that the E1 is not
superior. It even looks worse, but that may improve.

Roland

John Navas

In <Xns93D7E69AD4278rolandkarlssonchello@130.133.1. 4> on 14 Aug 2003 20:40:08
GMT, Roland Karlsson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>John Navas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:8pA_a.11524$dk4.435232
>@typhoon.sonic.net:
>
>> I'd say that's jumping the gun.

>No - not really. Most people would only buy the E1 if it
>is superior in image quality. If it is not, most people
>will choose another camera IMHO.

IMHO there's lots more to a camera system that theoretical image quality.

>The preview indicate quite clearly that the E1 is not
>superior. ...

No "preview" can do that. It's called "preview" for a reason.

--
Best regards,
John Navas

Charlie Self

John Navas writes:

>No - not really. Most people would only buy the E1 if it
>>is superior in image quality. If it is not, most people
>>will choose another camera IMHO.

>IMHO there's lots more to a camera system that theoretical image quality.
>
>>The preview indicate quite clearly that the E1 is not
>>superior. ...

>No "preview" can do that. It's called "preview" for a reaso

I'm slightly surprised that camera makers pass out pre-production samples for
review sites and magazines. In other fields (primarily woodworking tools) I've
worked a fair amount with pre-production equipment. It is always far worse than
what later comes off the production lines. Problems range from weight to
finish, and naturally operation is not up to par, either. This is not a
once-in-awhile feature of pre-production equipment. It has, IME, been across
the board with every such sample I've ever received.

Charlie Self

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
Dwight D. Eisenhower, Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953

Roland Karlsson

(E-Mail Removed)leah (Charlie Self) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I'm slightly surprised that camera makers pass out pre-production
> samples for review sites and magazines.

The camera was not a pre production, it was an initial producion,
i.e. one of the first batch that is shipped to customers.

Roland