Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Shame on B&H

Shame on B&H

Shane & Kimberly Gilbert

Less than a week ago I purchased a camera from B&H. The camera is
defective(it loses power intermittently), so I call up B&H to exchange the
camera and they said that I could NOT exchange or receive a refund simply
because I filled out the warranty card for the camera.

I think that is crap. I pay $600 for a camera that is defective and I can't
return it because of that.
I have always received great customer service from them and then they pull
this sh**. I will be more careful of where I buy my equipment next time.

Paul Heslop

Shane & Kimberly Gilbert wrote:

> Less than a week ago I purchased a camera from B&H. The camera is
> defective(it loses power intermittently), so I call up B&H to exchange the
> camera and they said that I could NOT exchange or receive a refund simply
> because I filled out the warranty card for the camera.
>
> I think that is crap. I pay $600 for a camera that is defective and I can't
> return it because of that.
> I have always received great customer service from them and then they pull
> this sh**. I will be more careful of where I buy my equipment next time.

If this is true it stinks. I don't know the rules with this stuff in
America. The one advantage with buying from the high street is the
ability to walk into a shop and kick up a fuss in front of other
customers, something which can help to get you a replacement.
I'm assuming they say you have to contact the manufacturer as you filled
in the card?
--
Paul. (I never agreed to be Your holy one)
Not what it seems...

ajacobs2

Slow down guys, we have seen this problem before.
What camera and what batteries are in it?

Second, you are not out of luck if it is a real problem, it gets repaired or
replaced ny the manufacturer.
Inconvenient, not life threatening.

Back to the problem. If it is powered by AA batteries, sometimes because
there is really no standarization of AA battery length, poor contact is made
and causes this intermittant operation. It doesn't matter what brand some
cameras like OLY are sensitive to what goes in them. And don't measure a
battey wioth a caliper you'll potentially burn yourself or short the
battery. Even on new cameras the contacts may be too short.

So try a known set of rechargeables but if you tell us what camera and
batteries we could help you....

Pat Boch

I've read the other responses to your letter. In my opinion, B&H could have
taken care of this issue for you... I'll certainly think twice before
dealing with them in the future...Yes they have a technical point...But not
a legal one. Facts are-this was a judgment on their end. I've returned
camera equipment to other suppliers under the very same circumstances...

--
________________
Patrick

"Shane & Kimberly Gilbert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:JIJZa.6381$(E-Mail Removed)2.webusenet.com...
> Less than a week ago I purchased a camera from B&H. The camera is
> defective(it loses power intermittently), so I call up B&H to exchange the
> camera and they said that I could NOT exchange or receive a refund simply
> because I filled out the warranty card for the camera.
>
> I think that is crap. I pay $600 for a camera that is defective and I

can't
> return it because of that.
> I have always received great customer service from them and then they pull
> this sh**. I will be more careful of where I buy my equipment next time.

Tom Scales

And I am sure B&H would accept it back for warranty repair.

Tom
"webmaster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bh7se3$19m$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Greetings,
>
> "Shane & Kimberly Gilbert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>
> > Less than a week ago I purchased a camera from B&H. The camera is
> > defective(it loses power intermittently), so I call up B&H to exchange

the
> > camera and they said that I could NOT exchange or receive a refund

simply
> > because I filled out the warranty card for the camera.

> I am not conversant with the law in USA, but in the UK, I believe that if

an
> item is faulty, the vendor has the legal responsibility to replace or

repair
> such an item.
>
> Obviously the item should be left with the vendor for a complete
> investigation to take place, to eliminate any minimal factors.
>
> I have never had any problem myself and have returned and had replaced
> several items of electronic nature.
>
> Peter

Andrew McDonald

Shane & Kimberly Gilbert wrote:
> Less than a week ago I purchased a camera from B&H. The camera is
> defective(it loses power intermittently), so I call up B&H to exchange the
> camera and they said that I could NOT exchange or receive a refund simply
> because I filled out the warranty card for the camera.
>
> I think that is crap. I pay $600 for a camera that is defective and I can't
> return it because of that.
> I have always received great customer service from them and then they pull
> this sh**. I will be more careful of where I buy my equipment next time.

From their customer service page under "Receiving Your Order"

"Carefully unpack and inspect all merchandise. Please DO NOT damage the
manufacturer's packaging. *DO NOT fill out the manufacturer's warranty
cards* until you are absolutely sure you want to keep your merchandise.
We cannot accept merchandise for return with completed warranty cards of
damaged or missing collateral material. Do not throw away any of the
packaging materials such as boxes, instructions, inserts, bags, etc
until you are completely sure you want to keep the equipment."

And under "Return / Exchange Policy"

"To return an item you must call Customer Service for prior approval and
obtain an RMA number. All merchandise purchased from B&H is sold in its
original factory packaging with all contents as supplied to us by the
manufacturer/distributor. Merchandise can be returned only if in
original manufacturer's packaging, same condition as sold, with all
literature/instructions/documentation and *blank warranty cards*. Place
the manufacturer's box into a shipping carton. Please do not place
stickers or shipping labels on the original manufacturer's package. Ship
to us pre-paid. For your protection insure the package and ship via a
traceable method. B&H is not responsible for lost or damaged packages."

I also had a local camera store refuse to exchange my three week old
camera for this reason. They were happy to do a warranty repair (which
took three weeks) but could not return the camera to Nikon without all
the packaging and a BLANK warranty card.

So you might want to check out a stores return policy next time so you
know what you need to do (and not do).

clay schneider

"Shane & Kimberly Gilbert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<JIJZa.6381$(E-Mail Removed)2.webusenet.com>. ..
> Less than a week ago I purchased a camera from B&H. The camera is
> defective(it loses power intermittently), so I call up B&H to exchange the
> camera and they said that I could NOT exchange or receive a refund simply
> because I filled out the warranty card for the camera.
>
> I think that is crap. I pay $600 for a camera that is defective and I can't
> return it because of that.
> I have always received great customer service from them and then they pull
> this sh**. I will be more careful of where I buy my equipment next time.

Why not just be more careful and read the huge print B&H includes in
the box which clearly states not to fill out the warranty card until
you are satisfied, explaining that filling out the card means you take
warranty out of the hands of B&H and into the hands of the maker.

Charlie Self

Clay Schneider writes:

>> I think that is crap. I pay $600 for a camera that is defective and I

>can't
>> return it because of that.
>> I have always received great customer service from them and then they pull
>> this sh**. I will be more careful of where I buy my equipment next time.

>Why not just be more careful and read the huge print B&H includes in
>the box which clearly states not to fill out the warranty card until
>you are satisfied, explaining that filling out the card means you take
>warranty out of the hands of B&H and into the hands of the maker.

Yes. But it's still crap. Not from B&H, but from manufacturers who will not
accept equipment with a filled out warranty card. Would they have us think they
print exactly the same number of cards as they make cameras? It's a bullshit
requirement, but it's a bullshit requirement from the maker, not the retailer.

Charlie Self

"We have a firm commitment to NATO, we are a *part* of NATO. We have a firm
commitment to Europe. We are a *part* of Europe."
Dan Quayle

Todd Walker

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> I had this problem with another brand camera and dealt with Beachcamera.com
> or buydig.com. Same company. They let me exchange the camera with or without
> the warranty card present or not. Seek another dealer.

Of course they did. That's probably because as soon as they received it
back, they put it back on the shelf and sold it to the next person,
WITHOUT a warranty card. B&H does things the right way, which makes
things a little less convenient for the consumer sometimes but you know
that when you buy something from them you are getting all the pieces.

--
Todd Walker

Andrew McDonald

Opentoe wrote:
> Then it would be the customer's fault who bought an open camera box at that
> point. Also, who would purchase and keep a camera that didn't include a
> warranty card? There's companies that have bad practices, but people just
> can't be morons and believe everything when shopping.

Yeah, right. Ever heard of eBay? That's proof that there is a sucker
born every minute.