Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What's best for resizing images for printing?

What's best for resizing images for printing?

Birk Binnard

There are 2 approaches for resizing an image for printing:

1. Crop the original image to the same aspect ratio as the printed image,
specify the size of the image the printer is supposed to print, and then let
the printer driver manage all the necessary interpolation and pixel
generation itself.

2. Crop the original image to the same aspect ratio as the printed image and
then use some sort of interpolation method to set the exact size and pixel
density desired for printing; then print the resulting image exactly as is,
without relying on the printer driver to do anything other than transfer the
image pixels to paper.

I've been using method 1 with good success on my Epson 1280. The 1280
printer driver is a very complex piece of software with lots of neat-o
printing options that are not explained in any detail. But it produces
dazzling results, so I wasn't too bothered by not knowing what's really
going on.

Then I started reading about resampling algorithms. Clearly there's a lot
to these things, and it occurred to me that perhaps some of the more
sophisticated ones might be able to produce better results than the Epson
1280 printer driver.

Has anyone done any evaluation of these different approaches? Is there a
general perception that one approach is better?
Birk Binnard
Peninsula Software
http://www.birkbinnard.com

Joseph Meehan

Best bet is to try it with YOUR printer and YOUR image files.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math