Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 35mm vs medium format vs digital cameras

35mm vs medium format vs digital cameras

The LoxFather

What are the advantages of each format?

With MF, obviously enlargement potential is #1.

With 35mm, availability of film everywhere you look.

With digital, no need for film or processing....but lacking quality.

How do you think they compare?

Joel M. Eichen D.D.S.

Depends on one's budget ........ the Nikons, those costing over
$10,000 are quite good.

But there's better ......

LEAF goes over $30K per camera!

Dentists are quite interested in this topic too as we are gradually
converting to digital format for radiographs, panographic x-rays, etc.

Joel

--
Joel M. Eichen, D.D.S.
Philadelphia PA

STANDARD DISCLAIMER applies:
no one has seen the tooth or
teeth in question so take
this advice within its proper
context ~ this is the internet!

Rafe B.

On 9 Aug 2003 02:09:04 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (The LoxFather)
wrote:

>What are the advantages of each format?
>
>With MF, obviously enlargement potential is #1.
>
>With 35mm, availability of film everywhere you look.
>
>With digital, no need for film or processing....but lacking quality.
>
>How do you think they compare?

Cameras in the 10D, D100 and Fuji S2 classs are
now encroaching or even surpassing typcial 35mm
film quality.

Cameras in the 1Ds and 14n class are now
encroaching on or even surpassing typical
MF film quality.

With exceptional optics, slow reversal film,
tripod, and the latest film scanners, film still
holds its own, but just barely.

One problem rarely metioned with dSLRs is
the issue of keeping the sensor clean.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com

Fletis Humplebacker

"The LoxFather"
> What are the advantages of each format?
>
> With MF, obviously enlargement potential is #1.
>
> With 35mm, availability of film everywhere you look.
>
> With digital, no need for film or processing....but lacking quality.
>
> How do you think they compare?

Why not do some reseach? No one really cares which
option you choose as it will be a personal decision.

HRosita

>The LoxFather stated:

>With digital, no need for film or processing....but lacking quality.

And you know that because?

Have you checked the Canon 1Ds,
the Canon 10D, the Nikon D100? etc?.

There are plenty of 35mm cameras that lack in quality.
Rosita

Dave Lee

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
The LoxFather <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>What are the advantages of each format?

Each format has its uses. Depends what you are photographing.

>With MF, obviously enlargement potential is #1.

Not necessarily. Many photo labs can't work with MF film (depending on
where you live).

>With 35mm, availability of film everywhere you look.

I shoot digital and always have my film with me. I couldn't find my Fuji
NPS at say, Yosemite National Park, but I have a chance to find a small
compact flash card. Shooting Kodak Gold 100 will *not* yield comparable
quality for my photography compared to Fuji NPS, but a store-bought
compact flash card will yield identical quality as my existing cards.

>With digital, no need for film or processing....but lacking quality.

That is your severest misunderstanding. Again, depends on what format of
digital you are shooting. The Canon EOS-1DS is a full-frame (meaning the
sensor is the same size as a piece of film which means when you put your
50mm lens on the camera, you get a 50mm lens, not a 75mm lens as on some
less expensive DSLR's) digital SLR that outputs an 11 mega pixel file.
This resolution will beat nearly any film from a standard 35mm or medium
format camera. Large format will match it, but try running around a
basketball court with a large format camera and you'll know what I mean!

I shoot with my 3 year old 3 mega pixel Nikon Coolpix 990 camera and
routinely make 4x6 prints at Costco from the files I select. The quality
is far better than I would get from a piece of 35mm film, and matches what
I got from my old (and sold a long time ago) Bronica ETRS and Mamiya RB67
Pro medium format cameras. There is *no* film grain.

>How do you think they compare?

Depends if you like the look of film or the look of digital. I have shot
nearly all formats, and digital wins every time. Saves me huge money
every time I shoot (sorry Kodak). I saved over $100 this last weekend
shooting 439 images not having to buy the film or process it. The prints
are made only when I choose to make them, and only the images I want to
print. And they are the same price as prints made from film (at Costco 19
cents plus tax).

Cheers,

Dave

--
"There are hundreds of tiny balls in every machine, and hundreds of
machines in every pachinko parlour, and a pachinko parlour on every block

Ken Johnsen

Why did you cross post this?

"Bart van der Wolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f34e748$0$49107$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...

> "Joel M. Eichen D.D.S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Anyone know how to compare line pairs to dpi?

> Strictly speaking, it takes 2 point samples (pixels or lines) to define a
> single line pair. This is in line with the scientific concept of spatial
> frequency which is usually expressed in cycles/mm..
>
> This is sometimes confused by video oriented people. They express

resolution
> in # of horizontal image lines and bandwidth.
>
> Bart

Ken Johnsen

Why did you cross post this?

"Roger N. Clark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The LoxFather wrote:
>
> > What are the advantages of each format?
> >
> > With MF, obviously enlargement potential is #1.
> >
> > With 35mm, availability of film everywhere you look.
> >
> > With digital, no need for film or processing....but lacking quality.
> >
> > How do you think they compare?

> See:
>
> http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail
>
> Summary of 35mm, medium, large format film versus digital:
> http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedeta...digital.1.html
>
> Image comparisons up to 4x5:
> http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/scandetail.html
>
> Some advantages of digital vs 35mm film:
> http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedeta....summary1.html
>
> Roger Clark
> home page: http://www.clarkvision.com

Ken Johnsen

"Rafe B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 9 Aug 2003 02:09:04 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (The LoxFather)
> wrote:
>
> >What are the advantages of each format?
> >
> >With MF, obviously enlargement potential is #1.
> >
> >With 35mm, availability of film everywhere you look.
> >
> >With digital, no need for film or processing....but lacking quality.
> >
> >How do you think they compare?

> Cameras in the 10D, D100 and Fuji S2 classs are
> now encroaching or even surpassing typcial 35mm
> film quality.
>
> Cameras in the 1Ds and 14n class are now
> encroaching on or even surpassing typical
> MF film quality.
>
> With exceptional optics, slow reversal film,
> tripod, and the latest film scanners, film still
> holds its own, but just barely.
>
> One problem rarely metioned with dSLRs is
> the issue of keeping the sensor clean.
>

> rafe b.
> http://www.terrapinphoto.com

Joel M. Eichen D.D.S.

First tell me why you are repeating yourself so much???