Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Costco Prints

Costco Prints

atasaka

Anyone have opinions on the Costco digital prints? I just got back a
bunch of 4x6 glossy prints and am very disappointed. I placed my photos
taken on a 3.2 megapixel Sony Cybershot on a cd which I gave to Costco.
All my photos came back with lines on them. The lines look like they
tried to print them with an inkjet printer with a partially clogged print
head. The person working there said the original image files probably had
the lines on them but when I print them at home on my Epson Stylus Photo
820, the pictures come out perfect with no lines. Even viewed on my
computer screen, I see no lines. Does anyone know if they use an inkjet
printer at Costco? I know $.19 per print is cheaper than printing them
at home but for this kind of quality, its not worth it.

Garner Miller

In article <Pine.GSO.4.33.0308081414010.1064-100000@uhunix2>, atasaka
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Anyone have opinions on the Costco digital prints? I just got back a
> bunch of 4x6 glossy prints and am very disappointed. I placed my photos
> taken on a 3.2 megapixel Sony Cybershot on a cd which I gave to Costco.
> All my photos came back with lines on them. The lines look like they
> tried to print them with an inkjet printer with a partially clogged print
> head. The person working there said the original image files probably had
> the lines on them but when I print them at home on my Epson Stylus Photo
> 820, the pictures come out perfect with no lines.

I had similar results from a CVS location with a Kodak machine. (Is
that what Costco uses?) It wasn't the standalone inkjet machine
that's very common and costs $5-7 a sheet -- it was the one that
interfaced with their regular wet photo printer, similar to the Fuji
system. But it produced output worse than any inkjet I've ever used.
The prints looked exactly as you describe above, and I was so
dissatisfied I'm not inclined to try the Kodak system again. (They
almost looked like a dot-matrix printer with a color ribbon, honestly.
BAD.) If someone's had better results, I'd love to hear it.

I've tried the Fuji Frontier/Aladdin Kiosk machine at 3 different
locations (a Walgreens, a Wal-Mart, and a Sam's Club), and have been
pleased with all three. The Walgreens used a glossy finish and seemed
to have the best print quality, while Wal-mart and Sams locations used
a semi-matte-finish paper, if that's a concern. Prices per print were
$0.35, $0.27, and $0.20 per print, respectively, here in northern
Connecticut.

Definitely try the Fuji machine before you give up on the wet digital
prints. I think you'll be much happier.

--
Garner R. Miller
Manchester, CT =USA=

Ray

I am actually considering taking my pics to Costco due to the 19cent price.
So far I have been using Wal-Mart online exclusively at 26cents per 4x6. I
am happy with Wal-Mart (Fuji regular chemistry on Fuji paper), but at times
I do notice a blue tint on some pics.

The local Costco here (Kirkland, WA) has Fuji regular chemistry system using
Fuji paper, seems to be the same as Wal-Mart. But I am not sure how good
yet, will try and find out.

Ray

"Garner Miller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:080820032052374860%(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <Pine.GSO.4.33.0308081414010.1064-100000@uhunix2>, atasaka
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Anyone have opinions on the Costco digital prints? I just got back a
> > bunch of 4x6 glossy prints and am very disappointed. I placed my photos
> > taken on a 3.2 megapixel Sony Cybershot on a cd which I gave to Costco.
> > All my photos came back with lines on them. The lines look like they
> > tried to print them with an inkjet printer with a partially clogged

print
> > head. The person working there said the original image files probably

had
> > the lines on them but when I print them at home on my Epson Stylus Photo
> > 820, the pictures come out perfect with no lines.

> I had similar results from a CVS location with a Kodak machine. (Is
> that what Costco uses?) It wasn't the standalone inkjet machine
> that's very common and costs $5-7 a sheet -- it was the one that
> interfaced with their regular wet photo printer, similar to the Fuji
> system. But it produced output worse than any inkjet I've ever used.
> The prints looked exactly as you describe above, and I was so
> dissatisfied I'm not inclined to try the Kodak system again. (They
> almost looked like a dot-matrix printer with a color ribbon, honestly.
> BAD.) If someone's had better results, I'd love to hear it.
>
> I've tried the Fuji Frontier/Aladdin Kiosk machine at 3 different
> locations (a Walgreens, a Wal-Mart, and a Sam's Club), and have been
> pleased with all three. The Walgreens used a glossy finish and seemed
> to have the best print quality, while Wal-mart and Sams locations used
> a semi-matte-finish paper, if that's a concern. Prices per print were
> $0.35, $0.27, and $0.20 per print, respectively, here in northern
> Connecticut.
>
> Definitely try the Fuji machine before you give up on the wet digital
> prints. I think you'll be much happier.
>
> --
> Garner R. Miller
> Manchester, CT =USA=

Mark M

"atasaka" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsine.GSO.4.33.0308081414010.1064-100000@uhunix2...
> Anyone have opinions on the Costco digital prints? I just got back a
> bunch of 4x6 glossy prints and am very disappointed. I placed my photos
> taken on a 3.2 megapixel Sony Cybershot on a cd which I gave to Costco.
> All my photos came back with lines on them. The lines look like they
> tried to print them with an inkjet printer with a partially clogged print
> head. The person working there said the original image files probably had
> the lines on them but when I print them at home on my Epson Stylus Photo
> 820, the pictures come out perfect with no lines. Even viewed on my
> computer screen, I see no lines. Does anyone know if they use an inkjet
> printer at Costco? I know $.19 per print is cheaper than printing them
> at home but for this kind of quality, its not worth it.

The Costco near me uses your basic Canon inkjet printer (!), so I have not
bothered trying it. I'm happily printing my own stuff on my Epson 1270
(never a single clog in 3+ years, BTW).

Unless processors offer a superior means of producing prints, I see no
reason to give up image control to anyone.

Marc Pawlowsky

The Costco in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada is using the same Fuij machine and
Fuji Crystal Archive paper as at Black's photos.

I have had 4x6, 5x7, and 8x12's done with excellent results.

I took the Black's photo challenge and printed the same photo at Costco and
Black's. Neither the manager nor I could tell any difference.

Ray R

I have used wal-Mart in the past. Pictures always looked muddy.
In Photoshop I created a picture of pure red, green, blue, cyan, magenta,
and yellow squares. The colors all looked poor in comparison to the
picture printed on my Canon i850. I scanned the Wal-Mart and i850.
None of the squares came out pure colors are in the original. By
looking at the cyan, magenta, yellow separations in Photoshop
the wal-Mart showed a lot of color in squares where there should be
none. Now I print all my pictures at home. My Wal-Mart pictures
were chemical photo process as shown by microscopic inspection.

Cost of print on my i850 for glossy 8.5x11 is about $.40. If you
print 4 4.25" x 5.5" per page it is about $.10 per print. 4.25 x 5.5
allows for less cropping than 4 x 6 with the format of most digital
cameras. I refill the cartridges in the printer for less than $1 each.
I got Office Depot paper on sale for $25 per 100 sheets. For give
aways I bought IBM glossy paper 4 x 6 for $.03 per sheet. While
not as good as Office Depot the pictures are still far superior to
the Wal-Mart pictures and cost about $.05. When I print I also
get consistent results.

"atasaka" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsine.GSO.4.33.0308081414010.1064-100000@uhunix2...
> Anyone have opinions on the Costco digital prints? I just got back a
> bunch of 4x6 glossy prints and am very disappointed. I placed my photos
> taken on a 3.2 megapixel Sony Cybershot on a cd which I gave to Costco.
> All my photos came back with lines on them. The lines look like they
> tried to print them with an inkjet printer with a partially clogged print
> head. The person working there said the original image files probably had
> the lines on them but when I print them at home on my Epson Stylus Photo
> 820, the pictures come out perfect with no lines. Even viewed on my
> computer screen, I see no lines. Does anyone know if they use an inkjet
> printer at Costco? I know $.19 per print is cheaper than printing them
> at home but for this kind of quality, its not worth it.

Patrick L.

atasaka <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsine.GSO.4.33.0308081414010.1064-100000@uhunix2...
> Anyone have opinions on the Costco digital prints? I just got back a
> bunch of 4x6 glossy prints and am very disappointed. I placed my photos
> taken on a 3.2 megapixel Sony Cybershot on a cd which I gave to Costco.
> All my photos came back with lines on them. The lines look like they
> tried to print them with an inkjet printer with a partially clogged print
> head. The person working there said the original image files probably had
> the lines on them but when I print them at home on my Epson Stylus Photo
> 820, the pictures come out perfect with no lines. Even viewed on my
> computer screen, I see no lines. Does anyone know if they use an inkjet
> printer at Costco? I know $.19 per print is cheaper than printing them
> at home but for this kind of quality, its not worth it.

They will redo them for free, just take them back. I use Costco Fuji
equipment with very good results.

However, if I want black and white, I go to a pro lab, Costco personnel
don't know how to give you black and white without a color cast, that has
been my experience.

Patrick L.

JC Dill

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 09:30:44 -0700, "Ray R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Cost of print on my i850 for glossy 8.5x11 is about $.40. If you
>print 4 4.25" x 5.5" per page it is about $.10 per print. 4.25 x 5.5
>allows for less cropping than 4 x 6 with the format of most digital
>cameras.

I've been using Thumbsplus to catalog and crop my photos, and I can't
find a way to tell it to print multiple photos per page in this
fashion. If there *is* a way to do this with TP, I'd love to know!
If I can't do this with TP, what are the software programs that do it?

jc

SND

JC Dill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I've been using Thumbsplus to catalog and crop my photos, and I can't
> find a way to tell it to print multiple photos per page in this
> fashion. If there *is* a way to do this with TP, I'd love to know!
> If I can't do this with TP, what are the software programs that do it?

I don't have experience with Thumbsplus but Qimage is made for just this
type of thing. http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/

--
SND

Ray R

"JC Dill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 09:30:44 -0700, "Ray R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Cost of print on my i850 for glossy 8.5x11 is about $.40. If you
> >print 4 4.25" x 5.5" per page it is about $.10 per print. 4.25 x 5.5
> >allows for less cropping than 4 x 6 with the format of most digital
> >cameras.

> I've been using Thumbsplus to catalog and crop my photos, and I can't
> find a way to tell it to print multiple photos per page in this
> fashion. If there *is* a way to do this with TP, I'd love to know!
> If I can't do this with TP, what are the software programs that do it?
>
> jc

I use Photoshop, but any photo editing softwasre should allow you
to do it easily.