Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon: annoyances of a defective product & service policy

Canon: annoyances of a defective product & service policy

John Faughnan

My quite lovely Canon G2 came with a quite simple defect in the CA-560
compact power adapter wall plug. The part of the wall plug that
connects to the power adapter was not correctly trimmed, so it is
mis-mated to the power adapter. After a few months of use causing a
bit of loosening, it the metal contacts in the wall plug don't stay in
contact with the power adapter. So, there's unreliable recharging.

Fine, it needs to be replaced under warrantee. I have, however,
learned a few things about Canon (probably everyone else too) while
fussing with this. They're worth sharing I think.

1. Canon has an enormous markup on replacing or buying chargers and
wall adapters. A $10 part is sold for $125 (list). Amazon has the best
price, $90 from J&R Music. Of course I don't HAVE to buy a new unit,
but ...

2. If you have a defective part, don't bother with Canon's online
email support. It's a computer automated reply system and I never got
a reply anyway. Their 800 number was answered very quickly.

3. Canon has one approach to service. They don't use RMAs. Send the
defective part to their service center. If they agree it's broken they
fix it. You need receipts, etc, of course. This takes at least 15
business days from the time of receipt. In my case, this means my
camera is out of operation for about 2-3 weeks.

4. You can order a new CA-560 adapter from Canon for $139 or so (after
tax and shipping). It can be returned within 30 days for credit "in
original packaging" and "unused". Canon tech support pointed out I
could order a new adapter from Canon accesories and return it. Since
returns DO require an RMA, this may require some invention.

john

[meta: jfaughnan, jgfaughnan, canon, returns, warrantee, service,
purchase decisions]

Jon Wordsworth

Why don't you go to Radio Shack and see if they have one that fits, I am
almost sure they would. As long as the voltage is the same, the plug
fits into the camera (they have all sizes and types) and the POLARITY of
the plug is the same (+ & -) you should be ok. The amp listing can be
either the same as the one you have now, or higher, but not lower in
number. 500ma will replace a 300ma one for example, but don't use only a
200ma one.

This will save you a lot of money. There is not much to these things,
just a big transformer and a few diodes, it is just to charge the
batteries and power the camera. Cheaper ones don't affect anything like
picture quality and as long as the voltage and polarity are the same you
can't ruin anything. (Don't use a 12v if yours is a 9v.)

I buy things all the time from garage sales and flea markets like $200
police scanners for $5 because they don't have the power adapter or
charger for it and then just go pick one up from Radio Shack or something.