Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Advice for angry D10 owner please

Advice for angry D10 owner please

Ted Rogers

Yesterday I bought a new EOS 10D from a well known chain of photgraphic
shops here in the UK. I traded in some other equipment and paid £900 which I
was very pleased with.

When I got the camera home, the internal wrapping was all in place but was
not factory sealed as you would expect. Also, the date and time were already
set on the camera (if I remember correctly, when I bought my D30 I had to
insert the small lithium battery myself). Furthermore, after doing a few
test shots I saw that the file numbers started from the early 300's (with
the naming set to 'continuous') so clearly the camera has been used. it is,
however, is in perfect condition with no obvious faults or blemishes

In my view I have been sold a used camera as new as evidenced above, but
also know that this particular chain are jelpful and will often demonstrate
cameras to potential customers but I would have liked everything pristine
for something which I had to save very hard to purchase.

Am I over-reacting here?

Thank you

Ted

bmoag

If you have doubts you should return the unit. I have purchased many items
with similar tell-tale marks of prior use of one form or another. Sometimes
the unit was clearly used as a demo, sometimes the package has been opened
and clumsily resealed in part although some of the internal packaging is
pristine. The truth is often the main item works fine, but it is not "new."
900 pounds seems like a very high price anyway.

Bhaskar Karambelkar

i think it is a standard practice of many shops to sell
item that were returned in perfect condiction within the
return limit , as new ones.
even B&H does it .
Since you were in store, and not buyin via web, you should
have asked the sales person to open the package for you there and
there itself and taken some test shots.
bhaskar

--
bhaskar
http://members.fortunecity.com/webpagebuilder1

Tomash Bednarz

> insert the small lithium battery myself). Furthermore, after doing a few
> test shots I saw that the file numbers started from the early 300's (with
> the naming set to 'continuous') so clearly the camera has been used. it

is,

maybe u inserted memory card used before in other camera ?
filenames r continued in such case...

JK

You are not overreacting. I also like getting factory sealed merchandise.
To be guaranteed of that though, manufacturers need to seal their
merchandise with tamper proof seals, and retailers need to sell
returned opened items at a discount, which also probably means
that they will have to charge a fee for opened items that are returned
and are not defective. I like the idea of sealed merchandise and restocking
fees. I hate the idea of paying full price for something that someone else
played with(and possibly abused?) then returned.

Ted Rogers wrote:

> Yesterday I bought a new EOS 10D from a well known chain of photgraphic
> shops here in the UK. I traded in some other equipment and paid £900 which I
> was very pleased with.
>
> When I got the camera home, the internal wrapping was all in place but was
> not factory sealed as you would expect. Also, the date and time were already
> set on the camera (if I remember correctly, when I bought my D30 I had to
> insert the small lithium battery myself). Furthermore, after doing a few
> test shots I saw that the file numbers started from the early 300's (with
> the naming set to 'continuous') so clearly the camera has been used. it is,
> however, is in perfect condition with no obvious faults or blemishes
>
> In my view I have been sold a used camera as new as evidenced above, but
> also know that this particular chain are jelpful and will often demonstrate
> cameras to potential customers but I would have liked everything pristine
> for something which I had to save very hard to purchase.
>
> Am I over-reacting here?
>
> Thank you
>
> Ted

JK

Bhaskar Karambelkar wrote:

> i think it is a standard practice of many shops to sell
> item that were returned in perfect condiction within the
> return limit , as new ones.
> even B&H does it .

Imo returned opened items should not be allowed to be
sold as new.

> Since you were in store, and not buyin via web, you should
> have asked the sales person to open the package for you there and
> there itself and taken some test shots.
> bhaskar
>
> Ted Rogers wrote:
> > Yesterday I bought a new EOS 10D from a well known chain of photgraphic
> > shops here in the UK. I traded in some other equipment and paid £900 which I
> > was very pleased with.
> >
> > When I got the camera home, the internal wrapping was all in place but was
> > not factory sealed as you would expect. Also, the date and time were already
> > set on the camera (if I remember correctly, when I bought my D30 I had to
> > insert the small lithium battery myself). Furthermore, after doing a few
> > test shots I saw that the file numbers started from the early 300's (with
> > the naming set to 'continuous') so clearly the camera has been used. it is,
> > however, is in perfect condition with no obvious faults or blemishes
> >
> > In my view I have been sold a used camera as new as evidenced above, but
> > also know that this particular chain are jelpful and will often demonstrate
> > cameras to potential customers but I would have liked everything pristine
> > for something which I had to save very hard to purchase.
> >
> > Am I over-reacting here?
> >
> > Thank you
> >
> > Ted
> >

> --
> bhaskar
> http://members.fortunecity.com/webpagebuilder1

Tomash Bednarz

> Yes - I did do that - thats a good point, I used my card from the D30. Is
> there a way of resetting this counter anywhere?

maybe try to reformat ur card or delete any file on ur CF using card reader
(propably some of them counts ur shots)
i got the same problem with card used before in g5

IMKen

Return the camera for a refund and purchase from a dealer that is not a
cheat. You paid for a new, unused camera and should have received one.
don't wait another day, you have been cheated.

"Ted Rogers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yesterday I bought a new EOS 10D from a well known chain of photgraphic
> shops here in the UK. I traded in some other equipment and paid £900 which

> was very pleased with.
>
> When I got the camera home, the internal wrapping was all in place but was
> not factory sealed as you would expect. Also, the date and time were

already
> set on the camera (if I remember correctly, when I bought my D30 I had to
> insert the small lithium battery myself). Furthermore, after doing a few
> test shots I saw that the file numbers started from the early 300's (with
> the naming set to 'continuous') so clearly the camera has been used. it

is,
> however, is in perfect condition with no obvious faults or blemishes
>
> In my view I have been sold a used camera as new as evidenced above, but
> also know that this particular chain are jelpful and will often

demonstrate
> cameras to potential customers but I would have liked everything pristine
> for something which I had to save very hard to purchase.
>
> Am I over-reacting here?
>
> Thank you
>
> Ted

Mister M.

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 05:36:51 +0100, "Ted Rogers" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
>When I got the camera home, the internal wrapping was all in place but was
>not factory sealed as you would expect. Also, the date and time were already
>set on the camera (if I remember correctly, when I bought my D30 I had to
>insert the small lithium battery myself). Furthermore, after doing a few
>test shots I saw that the file numbers started from the early 300's (with
>the naming set to 'continuous') so clearly the camera has been used. it is,
>however, is in perfect condition with no obvious faults or blemishes

Possibly the count is a result from inserting you old D30 card (as you
mentioned in another part of this thread).

However, why bother at all as long as the camera is in pristine
condition and works fine? What more do you want? New is only new until
you take the first shot yourself.
It seems to me that there are only a few thing relevant:
1) It is in very good condition (as new)
2) It has not seen a hard working life
3) It is fully operational.

(actually 1) and 2) are almost identical)

mark_digital©

"Ted Rogers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yesterday I bought a new EOS 10D from a well known chain of photgraphic
> shops here in the UK. I traded in some other equipment and paid £900 which

> was very pleased with.
>
> When I got the camera home, the internal wrapping was all in place but was
> not factory sealed as you would expect. Also, the date and time were

already
> set on the camera (if I remember correctly, when I bought my D30 I had to
> insert the small lithium battery myself). Furthermore, after doing a few
> test shots I saw that the file numbers started from the early 300's (with
> the naming set to 'continuous') so clearly the camera has been used. it

is,
> however, is in perfect condition with no obvious faults or blemishes
>
> In my view I have been sold a used camera as new as evidenced above, but
> also know that this particular chain are jelpful and will often

demonstrate
> cameras to potential customers but I would have liked everything pristine
> for something which I had to save very hard to purchase.
>
> Am I over-reacting here?
>
> Thank you
>
> Ted

Maybe while you were drooling over the camera you didn't hear the
salesperson say it was a customer returned item. So besides being timid as a
mouse you probably have selective hearing.
Mark_