Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Batteries - Chargers

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: Batteries - Chargers

 
 
Don Coon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-08-2003

"Allodoxaphobia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Overstock.com suddenly has a plethora of batteries and chargers
> for digital cameras -- even some proprietary models. Here-to-fore
> you would only find just cameras and `accessories` -- flashes,
> bags, tripods, usw -- in this category.
>
> http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2...._ID=2&STL_ID=6
>
> I have *NO* affiliation with these folks. I have purchased
> computer claptrap and some sports gee-gaw from them before, and
> they were "ok" to do business with.


Prices don't look all that great to me. Both AA chargers ($24.99 and
$17.99) don't claim to be "intelligent" charges and both cost more than
Wal-Mart B&M $16.82 intelligent charger with 4 AAs.

The BP-511 can be purchased at several on line places for as low as $9.95
vs. their $27.99.

Also I can purhase 4 1800 AAs from lots of places for less than their $13.99
no-names. (Just purchased 2 packs of 4 1600mah Kodak batteries from
computergeeks for $3.99 each!)

And you can't easily determine shipping without logging in.





 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Browntimdc
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-08-2003
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Louis J. LaBash, Jr.) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) om:

> "Don Coon" <coondw_nospam@hotmail_dot_.com> wrote in message
> news:<mcEYa.92031$uu5.13547@sccrnsc04>...
>> "Allodoxaphobia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> ...
>
>> no-names. (Just purchased 2 packs of 4 1600mah Kodak batteries from
>> computergeeks for $3.99 each!)

>
> Did you really mean 1600mah Kodak batteries? If so, these are pretty
> wimpy. I've seen 1800, 1850, and 2000 maH. The smaller maH cells are
> cheaper.
>


For the penalty of 20% less energy he bought recharable batteries for
little more than what regular alkaline batteries cost. They will still last
much longer than alkalines in a digicam and (assuming he already has a
charger) if he recharges them just 2 times he's way ahead of the game.

BTW, here are 1800mAH batts for $1:
http://www.batteryspace.com/product.asp?3=282
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Don Coon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-08-2003

"Browntimdc" <browntR*E*M*O*V*(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns93D1A0379B6A9tbflash@207.115.63.156...
> (E-Mail Removed) (Louis J. LaBash, Jr.) wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om:
>
> > "Don Coon" <coondw_nospam@hotmail_dot_.com> wrote in message
> > news:<mcEYa.92031$uu5.13547@sccrnsc04>...
> >> "Allodoxaphobia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> > ...
> >
> >> no-names. (Just purchased 2 packs of 4 1600mah Kodak batteries from
> >> computergeeks for $3.99 each!)

> >
> > Did you really mean 1600mah Kodak batteries? If so, these are pretty
> > wimpy. I've seen 1800, 1850, and 2000 maH. The smaller maH cells are
> > cheaper.
> >

>
> For the penalty of 20% less energy he bought recharable batteries for
> little more than what regular alkaline batteries cost. They will still

last
> much longer than alkalines in a digicam and (assuming he already has a
> charger) if he recharges them just 2 times he's way ahead of the game.
>
> BTW, here are 1800mAH batts for $1:
> http://www.batteryspace.com/product.asp?3=282


Don't know if I want to buy 24 batteries at a time : )


 
Reply With Quote
 
Tim Brown
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-09-2003
"Don Coon" <coondw_nospam@hotmail_dot_.com> wrote in message news:<5RTYa.99928$YN5.69798@sccrnsc01>...
> "Louis J. LaBash, Jr." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > "Don Coon" <coondw_nospam@hotmail_dot_.com> wrote in message

> news:<mcEYa.92031$uu5.13547@sccrnsc04>...
> > Did you really mean 1600mah Kodak batteries? If so, these are pretty
> > wimpy. I've seen 1800, 1850, and 2000 maH. The smaller maH cells are
> > cheaper.

>
> 1600mah have 89% of the capacity of the 1800mah cited in the previous post
> for $13.99 a 4-pack. At $3.99 the 1600mahs are a no-brainer. I got them
> for .0625 cents a mah ($3.99 / 1600 x 4) -- the cited 1800mah cost .1945
> cents per mah. Damn bet you the "smaller" mah cells are cheaper --- like
> 1/3 the cost per mah. Who the hell cares if you consider them "wimpy"?
> I'm willing to change batteries 11% more often for this price. Actually, I
> bet I won't even notice the difference.
>
> Are you trying to impress someone with "my batteries are bigger than yours"
> or something?


I guess he wasn't around in the days of 450mAH NiCD AA cells. Now those were wimpy.

Tim
 
Reply With Quote
 
Don Coon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-09-2003

"Tim Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "Don Coon" <coondw_nospam@hotmail_dot_.com> wrote in message

news:<5RTYa.99928$YN5.69798@sccrnsc01>...
> > "Louis J. LaBash, Jr." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > > "Don Coon" <coondw_nospam@hotmail_dot_.com> wrote in message

> > news:<mcEYa.92031$uu5.13547@sccrnsc04>...
> > > Did you really mean 1600mah Kodak batteries? If so, these are pretty
> > > wimpy. I've seen 1800, 1850, and 2000 maH. The smaller maH cells are
> > > cheaper.

> >
> > 1600mah have 89% of the capacity of the 1800mah cited in the previous

post
> > for $13.99 a 4-pack. At $3.99 the 1600mahs are a no-brainer. I got

them
> > for .0625 cents a mah ($3.99 / 1600 x 4) -- the cited 1800mah cost

..1945
> > cents per mah. Damn bet you the "smaller" mah cells are cheaper ---

like
> > 1/3 the cost per mah. Who the hell cares if you consider them "wimpy"?
> > I'm willing to change batteries 11% more often for this price.

Actually, I
> > bet I won't even notice the difference.
> >
> > Are you trying to impress someone with "my batteries are bigger than

yours"
> > or something?

>
> I guess he wasn't around in the days of 450mAH NiCD AA cells. Now those

were wimpy.
>
> Tim


Yup : ) My first AA digicam in 1999 (Nikon 950) used "state-o-the-art"
1300mah NiMHs. I thought they were GREAT!


 
Reply With Quote
 
Don Coon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-10-2003

"Louis J. LaBash, Jr." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "Don Coon" <coondw_nospam@hotmail_dot_.com> wrote in message

news:<ue8Za.71923$(E-Mail Removed). net>...
> > "Tim Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > > "Don Coon" <coondw_nospam@hotmail_dot_.com> wrote in message

> > news:<5RTYa.99928$YN5.69798@sccrnsc01>...
> > > > "Louis J. LaBash, Jr." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > > > > "Don Coon" <coondw_nospam@hotmail_dot_.com> wrote in message

> > news:<mcEYa.92031$uu5.13547@sccrnsc04>...
> > > > > Did you really mean 1600mah Kodak batteries? If so, these are

pretty
> > > > > wimpy. I've seen 1800, 1850, and 2000 maH. The smaller maH cells

are
> > > > > cheaper.

>
> ...
>
> > > I guess he wasn't around in the days of 450mAH NiCD AA cells. Now

those
> > were wimpy.

> ...
>
> > Yup : ) My first AA digicam in 1999 (Nikon 950) used "state-o-the-art"
> > 1300mah NiMHs. I thought they were GREAT!

>
> Well, if they work and you are satified so be it. There is another
> attribute that tends to go along with capacity and it is ESR
> (Equivalent Series Resistance). Batteries with lower capacities
> usually have higher ESR. This limits the peak current that can be
> drawn from a source. Batteries with a high ESR, generally, aren't
> suitable for high current drain applications. This limitation has
> nothing to do with capacity per se , i.e. mAhs
>
> You might take a look here: (long URL, may require cut-&-paste)
>

http://www.physics.udel.edu/wwwusers...y-testers.html
>
> BTW: ESR is a parameter used for other electronic components, and has
> a similar deleterious effect as described in the above URL (limits
> peak current).


My goodness! How did we ever survive when 1300mah was all there was?


 
Reply With Quote
 
Louis J. LaBash, Jr.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-11-2003
"Don Coon" <coondw_nospam@hotmail_dot_.com> wrote in message news:<SwxZa.79323$cF.24928@rwcrnsc53>
....

> My goodness! How did we ever survive when 1300mah was all there was?


The short answer:
God takes care of little kids and dumb animals

The long one:
Depends on the designer criteria and his/her implementation. The
capacity of a battery is *not* a constant. It varies with the
batteries previous use, rate of discharge, ... . Not all batteries
are created equal, even though they have the same specs. The acid
test is to take a new cell and fully charge it, put it in your camera
and see how many picture you can take before the low battery warning
appears -- keep a log, analyze the data. Some cameras have higher a
demand than others.

Could you live with a battery that had to be re-charged after taking
only a few pictures?

BTW: I know something of what I speak
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bob Salomon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-11-2003
In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) (Louis J. LaBash, Jr.) wrote:

> The acid
> test is to take a new cell and fully charge it, put it in your camera
> and see how many picture you can take before the low battery warning
> appears


No this is not the "acid test".

A NiMh cell should go through 3 to 4 full charge discharge cycles till
the new cell reaches full capacity.

Then you can do the acid test.

--
HP Marketing Corp.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Don Coon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-11-2003

"Louis J. LaBash, Jr." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "Don Coon" <coondw_nospam@hotmail_dot_.com> wrote in message

news:<SwxZa.79323$cF.24928@rwcrnsc53>
> ...
>
> > My goodness! How did we ever survive when 1300mah was all there was?

>
> The short answer:
> God takes care of little kids and dumb animals
>
> The long one:
> Depends on the designer criteria and his/her implementation. The
> capacity of a battery is *not* a constant. It varies with the
> batteries previous use, rate of discharge, ... . Not all batteries
> are created equal, even though they have the same specs. The acid
> test is to take a new cell and fully charge it, put it in your camera
> and see how many picture you can take before the low battery warning
> appears -- keep a log, analyze the data. Some cameras have higher a
> demand than others.
>
> Could you live with a battery that had to be re-charged after taking
> only a few pictures?
>
> BTW: I know something of what I speak


BTW: So do I ; )

Since when does a 1300mah battery (NiMH BTW) only provide for taking "only a
few pictures?" I remember taking well over 100 with my Nikon CP 950 ---
much more if I shut the review screen off.

Now, as I recall this thread started over a purchase of 1600mah NiMH
batteries ($1 each) vs. 1800mah NiMH batteries for about $3.59 each.

God also takes care of experienced mature adults and smart animals so what
was your point in your "short answer"?





 
Reply With Quote
 
Louis J. LaBash, Jr.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-12-2003
Bob Salomon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> (E-Mail Removed) (Louis J. LaBash, Jr.) wrote:
>
> > The acid
> > test is to take a new cell and fully charge it, put it in your camera
> > and see how many picture you can take before the low battery warning
> > appears

>
> No this is not the "acid test".


You failed to read my post:
"The capacity of a battery is *not* constant."
"-- keep a log, analyze the data."

How long has the battery been sitting on the shelf is another factor,
how many cycles, how deep the discharge(s), quality of manufacturer,
.... .


> A NiMh cell should go through 3 to 4 full charge discharge cycles till
> the new cell reaches full capacity.
>
> Then you can do the acid test.


Keep a log so you can analyze the data, one entry does not constitute
a log.

Merriam-Webster:
log -a record of performance, events, ... .


Here is a good URL:
http://www.cliffshade.com/dpfwiw/batteries.htm
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Batteries Charger VS Batteries capacity boulay.patrick@gmail.com Digital Photography 15 11-25-2006 05:42 AM
Is it better to use slow chargers for NIMH batteries than the fast ones? Mike Henley Digital Photography 16 04-02-2006 03:36 PM
AA size NiMH batteries and Chargers for Australia John Wright Digital Photography 11 09-07-2004 09:15 PM
Using different chargers with different brands of NiMH batteries Pavel Digital Photography 0 07-18-2004 06:49 PM
aftermarket camera batteries & chargers?? denton Digital Photography 4 01-24-2004 10:16 AM



Advertisments