Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > sync'ing the 10D

sync'ing the 10D

Mark C

Please correct me if I am wrong....but it is my understanding that the 550
speed light will syc with almost any shutter speed of the 10D as long as it
(the speed light) is operating in the high speed syc mode. In reading the
manual it is not clear if the camera will syc to a studio lighting set up at
a shutterspeed higher than the default flash shutter speed of 1/60th.

One would think that a studio strobe system whose flash duration is 1/3200
of a second...would syc with any shutter speed as long as it was triggered
properly.

Can anyone speak to this?

Thanx,
Mark C
Nashville,TN

Andrew McDonald

Mark C wrote:
> Please correct me if I am wrong....but it is my understanding that the 550
> speed light will syc with almost any shutter speed of the 10D as long as it
> (the speed light) is operating in the high speed syc mode. In reading the
> manual it is not clear if the camera will syc to a studio lighting set up at
> a shutterspeed higher than the default flash shutter speed of 1/60th.
>
> One would think that a studio strobe system whose flash duration is 1/3200
> of a second...would syc with any shutter speed as long as it was triggered
> properly.
>
> Can anyone speak to this?

It all has to do with the shutters. In an SLR type camera the shutter
consists of two parts. When the shutter opens, the first curtain slides
across the film opening, then the second curtain follows along behind,
making a strip that crosses the film to allow the exposure. On longer
exposures (like 1/60th) the second curtain does not go across until
after the first has completed the trip. At this point the entire film
plane (or sensor) is exposed and it's safe to trip a flash.

On shorter expsures where the first curtain has not gotten all the way
across before the second starts, the entire frame is not exposed and
firing the flash would result in a strip of light somewhere in the frame
with the top and bottom of the picture being unexposed.

So it's not the speed of the flash, it's the timing to make sure the
flash only goes off while the film or imaging devices is completely exposed.

Dave Herzstein

Mark C wrote:

> Please correct me if I am wrong....but it is my understanding that the 550
> speed light will syc with almost any shutter speed of the 10D as long as it
> (the speed light) is operating in the high speed syc mode. In reading the
> manual it is not clear if the camera will syc to a studio lighting set up at
> a shutterspeed higher than the default flash shutter speed of 1/60th.
>
> One would think that a studio strobe system whose flash duration is 1/3200
> of a second...would syc with any shutter speed as long as it was triggered
> properly.
>
> Can anyone speak to this?

Canon E-TTL speedlite can sync beyond 1/200 only because they "strobe"
while the second shutter curtain "chases" the first curtain across the
film plane (ie. a very *long* flash duration). A single 1/3200 second
flash burst will expose only a portion of the film plane if the shutter
speed is faster than 1/200.
--
Dave Herzstein
http://www.kjsl.com/~dave