Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > New Fuji camera creates new laws of physics

New Fuji camera creates new laws of physics

Robert Feinman

There is a new four page ad for the Fuji E1 digital camera appearing in photo
magazines this month.
It shows a pair of ray tracing diagrams comparing the "old" way light
transverses a lens with the "new" way invented by Fuji.
The new way light leaving the lens has all the rays parallel so that they strike
the sensor at 90 degrees. There is no divergence as the rays approach the
corners. The old way light spreads out as it leaves the lens.

The only way light emerges parallel from a lens is if the subject is at the
focal point.
Perhaps the new Fuji only takes pictures at one (very short) distance?

If they want to claim something about their lens design (less vignetting,
perhaps), why not say that instead of making up phony lens diagrams.

--
Robert D Feinman
Landscapes, Cityscapes, Panoramic Photographs: http://robertdfeinman.com

Marvin Margoshes

"Robert Feinman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> There is a new four page ad for the Fuji E1 digital camera appearing in

photo
> magazines this month.
> It shows a pair of ray tracing diagrams comparing the "old" way light
> transverses a lens with the "new" way invented by Fuji.
> The new way light leaving the lens has all the rays parallel so that they

strike
> the sensor at 90 degrees. There is no divergence as the rays approach the
> corners. The old way light spreads out as it leaves the lens.
>
> The only way light emerges parallel from a lens is if the subject is at

the
> focal point.
> Perhaps the new Fuji only takes pictures at one (very short) distance?
>
> If they want to claim something about their lens design (less vignetting,
> perhaps), why not say that instead of making up phony lens diagrams.
>
> --
> Robert D Feinman
> (E-Mail Removed)
> Landscapes, Cityscapes, Panoramic Photographs: http://robertdfeinman.com

Marketing and advertising people don't always check their ideas with the
technical people in the company - the ones who know.

Tony Spadaro

Fuji is also the inventor of the 3 megapixel camera that produces a 6
megapixel file. They are obviously so far in advance of the rest of the
world that mere physics cannot stand in their way.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
"Marvin Margoshes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Robert Feinman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > There is a new four page ad for the Fuji E1 digital camera appearing in

> photo
> > magazines this month.
> > It shows a pair of ray tracing diagrams comparing the "old" way light
> > transverses a lens with the "new" way invented by Fuji.
> > The new way light leaving the lens has all the rays parallel so that

they
> strike
> > the sensor at 90 degrees. There is no divergence as the rays approach

the
> > corners. The old way light spreads out as it leaves the lens.
> >
> > The only way light emerges parallel from a lens is if the subject is at

> the
> > focal point.
> > Perhaps the new Fuji only takes pictures at one (very short) distance?
> >
> > If they want to claim something about their lens design (less

vignetting,
> > perhaps), why not say that instead of making up phony lens diagrams.
> >
> > --
> > Robert D Feinman
> > (E-Mail Removed)
> > Landscapes, Cityscapes, Panoramic Photographs: http://robertdfeinman.com
> >

> Marketing and advertising people don't always check their ideas with the
> technical people in the company - the ones who know.

Matt Clara

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Robert Feinman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
> > There is a new four page ad for the Fuji E1 digital camera appearing in

> photo
> > magazines this month.
> > It shows a pair of ray tracing diagrams comparing the "old" way light
> > transverses a lens with the "new" way invented by Fuji.
> > The new way light leaving the lens has all the rays parallel so that

they
> strike
> > the sensor at 90 degrees. There is no divergence as the rays approach

the
> > corners. The old way light spreads out as it leaves the lens.
> >
> > The only way light emerges parallel from a lens is if the subject is at

> the
> > focal point.
> > Perhaps the new Fuji only takes pictures at one (very short) distance?
> >
> > If they want to claim something about their lens design (less

vignetting,
> > perhaps), why not say that instead of making up phony lens diagrams.

> Wait, wait. What if just before the sensor you install some kind
> of Fresnel lens that makes the cone of light coming from the lens
> to become the cylinder? Is that not possible?

The only type of light I know with (nearly) parallel rays is called a laser.
Sometimes known as collimated light.

Luke

> The only type of light I know with (nearly) parallel rays is called a

laser.
> Sometimes known as collimated light.

Ever heard of sun light? As near to parallel as makes no difference in most
situations.

collimated light is not a laser.

A laser produces light in which the photos are in phse with each other. That
remains true even if the beam is spread so that the paths are no longer
parallel.

Luke

Luke

> If they want to claim something about their lens design (less vignetting,
> perhaps), why not say that instead of making up phony lens diagrams.

No doubt the marketers screwed this up slightly, I havn't seen the advert
but this sounds very like a kind of field flattener. These lenses are added
to telescopes to improve sharpness at the edge of an image when taking
photographs.

They work by increasing the angle at which light strikes the sensor (CCD or
film) towards the edge of the image to reduce bluring.

If I recall my astronomy lectures correctly the focal length on some of
these lens varies along the radius so your standard optical equations are
not going to give you much insight into their functioning.

I guess fuji have come up with some way of making this useful in a compact
camera but I doubt its going to revolutionise photography.

Luke

ZZ@fake.not

eDigital Photo shows the Olympus E1 SLR showing light rays
impacting the CCD in parallel. Is this it?
Gene Gene http://www.photoprojects.net

Robert Feinman wrote:

> There is a new four page ad for the Fuji E1 digital camera appearing in photo
> magazines this month.
> It shows a pair of ray tracing diagrams comparing the "old" way light
> transverses a lens with the "new" way invented by Fuji.
> The new way light leaving the lens has all the rays parallel so that they strike
> the sensor at 90 degrees. There is no divergence as the rays approach the
> corners. The old way light spreads out as it leaves the lens.
>
> The only way light emerges parallel from a lens is if the subject is at the
> focal point.
> Perhaps the new Fuji only takes pictures at one (very short) distance?
>
> If they want to claim something about their lens design (less vignetting,
> perhaps), why not say that instead of making up phony lens diagrams.
>
> --
> Robert D Feinman
> (E-Mail Removed)
> Landscapes, Cityscapes, Panoramic Photographs: http://robertdfeinman.com

Rudy Garcia

In article <SoxYa.1879450$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Matt Clara" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Victor Bazarov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "Robert Feinman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
> > > There is a new four page ad for the Fuji E1 digital camera appearing in

> > photo
> > > magazines this month.
> > > It shows a pair of ray tracing diagrams comparing the "old" way light
> > > transverses a lens with the "new" way invented by Fuji.
> > > The new way light leaving the lens has all the rays parallel so that

> they
> > strike
> > > the sensor at 90 degrees. There is no divergence as the rays approach

> the
> > > corners. The old way light spreads out as it leaves the lens.
> > >
> > > The only way light emerges parallel from a lens is if the subject is at

> > the
> > > focal point.
> > > Perhaps the new Fuji only takes pictures at one (very short) distance?
> > >
> > > If they want to claim something about their lens design (less

> vignetting,
> > > perhaps), why not say that instead of making up phony lens diagrams.

> > Wait, wait. What if just before the sensor you install some kind
> > of Fresnel lens that makes the cone of light coming from the lens
> > to become the cylinder? Is that not possible?

> The only type of light I know with (nearly) parallel rays is called a laser.
> Sometimes known as collimated light.

Collimated light doesn't require a laser, in fact there have been
optical benches using collimated light long before lasers were invented.
You are confusing coherence with collimation.

--
Rudy Garcia

Bruce Murphy

"Matt Clara" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Collimation is one property of laser light.

Collimation is a property of *some ways of generating laser light* and
even then it's not perfect collimation. Since most laser profiles are
gaussian anyway, the ray-optics concept of collimation is one of these
kindegarten (or undergraduate) lies-to-children.

David J. Littleboy

"Bruce Murphy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Matt Clara" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> > Collimation is one property of laser light.

> Collimation is a property of *some ways of generating laser light* and
> even then it's not perfect collimation. Since most laser profiles are
> gaussian anyway, the ray-optics concept of collimation is one of these
> kindegarten (or undergraduate) lies-to-children.

Physics is the study of frictionless elephants whose masses may be ignored.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan