Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Charging Batteries in U.K.

Charging Batteries in U.K.

Richard

How do I charge batteries in the U.k..? Is there a standard voltage
converter and wall plug outlet for London,Amsterdam and Paris?

thanks..

Rick

Roger Wareham

Richard wrote:
> How do I charge batteries in the U.k..? Is there a standard voltage
> converter and wall plug outlet for London,Amsterdam and Paris?

If you're talking about standard batteries, it would probably be cheaper
to buy a charger when you get here (around 10/$15 for a standard 4 x AA
NiMH/NiCd type). Adapters to connect a UK plug to the sockets used in
Holland, France and most other European countries are about 3/$5 and
are widely available here.

If you're talking about special camera batteries, the chances are that
the US charger is capable of running on 110/230 volts. If it says so on
the label, all you need is a US/UK plug adapter (again available here,
but slightly harder to find, at around 3/$5).

Hope this helps,

Roger.

Ian Stirling

Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> How do I charge batteries in the U.k..? Is there a standard voltage
> converter and wall plug outlet for London,Amsterdam and Paris?

You can get universal battery chargers.
Do you mean AA chargers?
All of the cities you mention have a voltage of around 220V+-20% or so,
so you'd need a plug adaptor, but not an actual voltage converter.
Of course, you could pop into any electrical shop (I believe there are
several in london) and buy one too.

--
http://inquisitor.i.am/ | (E-Mail Removed) | Ian Stirling.
"The theory of everything falls out trivially." -- Etherman, sci.physics kook.

Richard

Thanks guys,,sorry, I should have stated what batteries, its the
Lithium-Ion batteries for the Canon S 400,,

Rick

\On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 15:17:29 +0000 (UTC), Ian Stirling
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> How do I charge batteries in the U.k..? Is there a standard voltage
>> converter and wall plug outlet for London,Amsterdam and Paris?

>You can get universal battery chargers.
>Do you mean AA chargers?
>All of the cities you mention have a voltage of around 220V+-20% or so,
>so you'd need a plug adaptor, but not an actual voltage converter.
>Of course, you could pop into any electrical shop (I believe there are
>several in london) and buy one too.

Larry Larson

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 16:57:56 GMT, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks guys,,sorry, I should have stated what batteries, its the
>Lithium-Ion batteries for the Canon S 400,,

The Canon charger is universal voltage, so all you need is the plug
adapter, which you can find in any Radio Shack here before you go.

-- Larry

Luke

Your charger should be capable of taking the 220V then, it'll say on it.

Depending on where you are staying some shaver sockets in the UK will take
american 2-pin plugs without any adapter so that may solve your problem.
Also some of them provide 110V as well as 220V (other shaver sockets will
only take the european round 2-pin plug).

It will be easy to find an adapter in the UK once you get here so long as
you can get to an electrical shop.

UK mains plugs are large with 3 thick rectangular pins, they are very
distinctive and about the largest standard mains plug you will find anywhere
in the world.

Luke

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Thanks guys,,sorry, I should have stated what batteries, its the
> Lithium-Ion batteries for the Canon S 400,,
>
> Rick
>
> \On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 15:17:29 +0000 (UTC), Ian Stirling
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> How do I charge batteries in the U.k..? Is there a standard voltage
> >> converter and wall plug outlet for London,Amsterdam and Paris?

> >You can get universal battery chargers.
> >Do you mean AA chargers?
> >All of the cities you mention have a voltage of around 220V+-20% or so,
> >so you'd need a plug adaptor, but not an actual voltage converter.
> >Of course, you could pop into any electrical shop (I believe there are
> >several in london) and buy one too.

Martin Francis

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do I charge batteries in the U.k..? Is there a standard voltage
> converter and wall plug outlet for London,Amsterdam and Paris?

IIRC I saw a plug converter in Poundland...

--
Martin
Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot

Richard

THANK YOU ALL !!

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 21:05:30 +0000 (UTC), "Martin Francis"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> How do I charge batteries in the U.k..? Is there a standard voltage
>> converter and wall plug outlet for London,Amsterdam and Paris?

>IIRC I saw a plug converter in Poundland...

Phil Stripling

Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> How do I charge batteries in the U.k..? Is there a standard voltage
> converter and wall plug outlet for London,Amsterdam and Paris?

Most chargers are dual voltage, so all you will need are plug
adapters. My wife and I travel from the US (110 VAC) to the French West
Indies (220 VAC). Our converters handle this automatically -- we just need
the plug adapter to get our spade lugs into the round holes. This applies
for recharging my electric shaver, our laptop, our camera batteries in
their proprietary charger, and the Radio Shack AA battery charger.

Check the body of your present charger and see if it gives the two
voltages as being acceptable.