Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Photo Software need recomendation

Re: Photo Software need recomendation

Alan Brennan

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 03:19:25 GMT
Mike ( http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) )
Wrote

> With the various hardware I have on the computer photoImpressions and ACDSee
> 3.0. Each came with a different piece of equipment. I am a novice with the
> digital camera, and I want to use a good but easy software program for the
> images. A fried told me to forget they two programs already on the computer
> and to get Paint Shop. Can someone recommend a program usable by a novice
> that you can grow with.

What do you want to do with your program?

ACDSee 4.0 is a great picture manager, ie it is very good for sorting
and viewing your pix. It has only rudimentary photo editing capability,
but is quite good for the basic tasks which is all most people want:
cropping, red eye reduction, rotating, and some very basic colour and
sharpness manipulation. It has limited phot printing capability.
Photoimpression 4.0 is a poor picture manager, but has moderate editing
power, and lots of automated routines which make editing tasks very easy
for a beginner. It has an excellent photo stitcher for making panoramas
built in, and several other nifty features. It has a simple but useful
printing ability
Paint shop pro and Adobe Photoshop are very powerful, but very complex
programs which will both allow you to do virtually anything you like
with your pix, but both take quite a bit of learning. I prefer Paint
Shop Pro, and it has quite good tutorials built into it, but really the
choice between them is just a matter of taste.Neither are all that great
as picture managers.
A "halfway house" is Adobe Phtoshop Elements 2.0 which is a cut down
version of Photoshop with a great number of automated routines. It is
*way* cheaper as well.

Essentially you will need to trade off ease of use against power. In
making your choice you will need to ask yourself whether you actually
need to pay for all the powerhouse features of the big two, and whether
a) you have the time and inclination to learn them and b) whether what
you want to do requires that amount of power.

Michael P Gabriel

Alan Brennan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) .nz>...
> On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 03:19:25 GMT
> Mike ( (E-Mail Removed) )
> Wrote
>
> > With the various hardware I have on the computer photoImpressions and ACDSee
> > 3.0. Each came with a different piece of equipment. I am a novice with the
> > digital camera, and I want to use a good but easy software program for the
> > images. A fried told me to forget they two programs already on the computer
> > and to get Paint Shop. Can someone recommend a program usable by a novice
> > that you can grow with.
> >

> What do you want to do with your program?
>
> ACDSee 4.0 is a great picture manager, ie it is very good for sorting
> and viewing your pix. It has only rudimentary photo editing capability,
> but is quite good for the basic tasks which is all most people want:
> cropping, red eye reduction, rotating, and some very basic colour and
> sharpness manipulation. It has limited phot printing capability.

all the time in the world to try to learn everything at once. Buy an
older version of Ulead Photo Impact....I use ver 5.0; it is fabulously
easy, yet very complex, but the very basic stuff is out front, and you
can spend time learning the rest, on a gradual basis.