Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Photos in bright sunlight

Photos in bright sunlight

Satish K

Hi,

I have Sony F717 and these days I end up taking photos mostly in afternoon
when there is bright sunlight. Some of the photos I took seems like they
might look better with less brightness/flare. I know that I can control that
using a image editor software. But I want to know how can I control this
while taking photos? Which is the filter I should use? What is the best
filter that is compatible with Sony F717?

Another question - how is it different to use filter than using "exposure
compensation" function that is available in the camera? Even with filter on
the lens, is there any value using Exposure compensation?

Thanks,

- Satish

Todd Walker

In article <y6kYa.57526$(E-Mail Removed) >,
> Hi,
>
> I have Sony F717 and these days I end up taking photos mostly in afternoon
> when there is bright sunlight. Some of the photos I took seems like they
> might look better with less brightness/flare. I know that I can control that
> using a image editor software. But I want to know how can I control this
> while taking photos? Which is the filter I should use? What is the best
> filter that is compatible with Sony F717?

You can control it to a degree with a neutral density filter, or
polarizer but with either one, your lighting ratio between shadow and
highlight is still going to be too large. You are either going to blow
out the highlights or underexpose the shadows. There just isn't enough
exposure latitude to correctly expose highlights and shadows on a bright
sunny day. That's why overcast days are always better for taking
pictures.

> Another question - how is it different to use filter than using "exposure
> compensation" function that is available in the camera? Even with filter on
> the lens, is there any value using Exposure compensation?

You're talking apples and oranges. The two have nothing to do with each
other.

--
________________________________
Todd Walker

JK

Todd Walker wrote:

> In article <y6kYa.57526$(E-Mail Removed) >,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have Sony F717 and these days I end up taking photos mostly in afternoon
> > when there is bright sunlight. Some of the photos I took seems like they
> > might look better with less brightness/flare. I know that I can control that
> > using a image editor software. But I want to know how can I control this
> > while taking photos? Which is the filter I should use? What is the best
> > filter that is compatible with Sony F717?

> You can control it to a degree with a neutral density filter, or
> polarizer but with either one, your lighting ratio between shadow and
> highlight is still going to be too large. You are either going to blow
> out the highlights or underexpose the shadows. There just isn't enough
> exposure latitude to correctly expose highlights and shadows on a bright
> sunny day. That's why overcast days are always better for taking
> pictures.

That is why many pros use relectors in bright sunlight to bounce some
light into people's faces. Others use fill flash, but using large reflectors
usually results in more natural looking images. If you don't want to buy
some, you can make your own using cardboard and aluminum foil.
You may need an assistant to hold and aim the reflectors.

> > Another question - how is it different to use filter than using "exposure
> > compensation" function that is available in the camera? Even with filter on
> > the lens, is there any value using Exposure compensation?

> You're talking apples and oranges. The two have nothing to do with each
> other.
>
> --
> ________________________________
> Todd Walker
> http://twalker.d2g.com
> Canon 10D:
> http://twalker.d2g.com/canon10d
> My Digital Photography Weblog:
> http://twalker.d2g.com/dpblog.htm
> _________________________________

Charlie Self

Todd Walker responds:

>That is why many pros use relectors in bright sunlight to bounce some
>light into people's faces. Others use fill flash, but using large reflectors
>usually results in more natural looking images. If you don't want to buy
>some, you can make your own using cardboard and aluminum foil.
>You may need an assistant to hold and aim the reflectors.

Mylar works extremely well, too, and is easier to get in wide sizes...check out
Space Blankets if you can't find a local source of the film.

Charlie Self

"The California crunch really is the result of not enough power-generating
plants and then not enough power to power the power of generating plants."
George W. Bush

Mxsmanic

Satish K writes:

> Some of the photos I took seems like they might look better
> with less brightness/flare. I know that I can control that
> using a image editor software.

Flare cannot be removed in post production, because it produces a
permanent loss of image information at the time of capture.

Michael P Gabriel

(E-Mail Removed)leah (Charlie Self) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Todd Walker responds:
>
> >That is why many pros use relectors in bright sunlight to bounce some
> >light into people's faces. Others use fill flash, but using large reflectors
> >usually results in more natural looking images. If you don't want to buy
> >some, you can make your own using cardboard and aluminum foil.
> >You may need an assistant to hold and aim the reflectors.

> Mylar works extremely well, too, and is easier to get in wide sizes...check out
> Space Blankets if you can't find a local source of the film.
>
> Charlie Self
>
> "The California crunch really is the result of not enough power-generating
> plants and then not enough power to power the power of generating plants."
> George W. Bush

Oh, my goodness, Charlie Self voted for Algore! Dumb for the dumber!
Why else would he try to humiliate GWB?? The power to power the power
means natural gas, coal, oil, etc. Very simple. And guess who's butt
may not be around today if ALGORE were in office. He'd say, "Let's
make nice with Osama", "Give peace a chance". And..."If we don't
respond in kind, maybe he'll go away?"

Patrick L.

JK <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Todd Walker wrote:
>
> > In article <y6kYa.57526$(E-Mail Removed) >,
> > (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have Sony F717 and these days I end up taking photos mostly in

afternoon
> > > when there is bright sunlight. Some of the photos I took seems like

they
> > > might look better with less brightness/flare. I know that I can

control that
> > > using a image editor software. But I want to know how can I control

this
> > > while taking photos? Which is the filter I should use? What is the

best
> > > filter that is compatible with Sony F717?

> > You can control it to a degree with a neutral density filter, or
> > polarizer but with either one, your lighting ratio between shadow and
> > highlight is still going to be too large. You are either going to blow
> > out the highlights or underexpose the shadows. There just isn't enough
> > exposure latitude to correctly expose highlights and shadows on a bright
> > sunny day. That's why overcast days are always better for taking
> > pictures.

> That is why many pros use relectors in bright sunlight to bounce some
> light into people's faces. Others use fill flash, but using large

reflectors
> usually results in more natural looking images. If you don't want to buy
> some, you can make your own using cardboard and aluminum foil.
> You may need an assistant to hold and aim the reflectors.

White foam board is going to be better than aluminum foil, which will be way
too bright, causing the subjects to squint even more.

Patrick

jeff liss

"Satish K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<y6kYa.57526$(E-Mail Removed). net>...
> Hi,
>
> I have Sony F717 and these days I end up taking photos mostly in afternoon
> when there is bright sunlight. Some of the photos I took seems like they
> might look better with less brightness/flare. I know that I can control that
> using a image editor software. But I want to know how can I control this
> while taking photos? Which is the filter I should use? What is the best
> filter that is compatible with Sony F717?
>
> Another question - how is it different to use filter than using "exposure
> compensation" function that is available in the camera? Even with filter on
> the lens, is there any value using Exposure compensation?
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Satish

When shooting in bright sunlight, I go to manual exposure, expose for
18% gray (grass works good), and use that setting for the entire
scene. I'm not sure what the latitude is for digital, but the shadows
and highlights will be lost a little. The majority of the scene should
be correctly exposed. I used to shoot Kodachrome 64 exclusively. The
+/- of that film is about 1/3 stop, so I do the same with digital and
have had good results.

Rafe B.

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 10:48:53 +0200, Mxsmanic <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Satish K writes:
>
>> Some of the photos I took seems like they might look better
>> with less brightness/flare. I know that I can control that
>> using a image editor software.

>Flare cannot be removed in post production, because it produces a
>permanent loss of image information at the time of capture.

If the flare artifact shows up in a clear blue sky, and it's not
too large, then it's easy to fix up in Photoshop.

If you're defining flare as something that lowers the overall
contrast of the lens, that's another matter.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com

Larry Caldwell

(E-Mail Removed) (Satish K) writes:

> I have Sony F717 and these days I end up taking photos mostly in afternoon
> when there is bright sunlight. Some of the photos I took seems like they
> might look better with less brightness/flare. I know that I can control that
> using a image editor software. But I want to know how can I control this
> while taking photos? Which is the filter I should use? What is the best
> filter that is compatible with Sony F717?

Does your camera have a low contrast setting? If you manage to record as
much data as possible, you will have more to work with in your image
editor.

Fill flash is another way to improve unevenly lighted scenes, if you are
close enough. Most on camera flashes won't compete with sunlight past
about 10 feet.

A polarizer will tame reflections, but won't do anything for light and
shadow.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc