Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Printing B&W via digital.

Printing B&W via digital.

Kev

Hello All,

I have printed traditional B&W years ago and now I am getting into
doing ti digitally. Where is the best place to pick up some tips and
techniques? I hve been trying to do it but it just doesnt seem to
look right.

They look a little flat, doesnt have the pop as a silver print. Maybe
it is just me. For color I have photoshop down and the images look
like the slides.

But I am having a heck of a time with B&W. Please advise where one
can go to get a ton of info on this topic.

Thanks,

Kev

Sandy

Try Luminous Landscape
"Kev" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello All,
>
> I have printed traditional B&W years ago and now I am getting into
> doing ti digitally. Where is the best place to pick up some tips and
> techniques? I hve been trying to do it but it just doesnt seem to
> look right.
>
> They look a little flat, doesnt have the pop as a silver print. Maybe
> it is just me. For color I have photoshop down and the images look
> like the slides.
>
> But I am having a heck of a time with B&W. Please advise where one
> can go to get a ton of info on this topic.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kev

Rafe B.

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 00:51:00 GMT, Kev <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>I have printed traditional B&W years ago and now I am getting into
>doing ti digitally. Where is the best place to pick up some tips and
>techniques? I hve been trying to do it but it just doesnt seem to
>look right.
>
>They look a little flat, doesnt have the pop as a silver print. Maybe
>it is just me. For color I have photoshop down and the images look
>like the slides.
>
>But I am having a heck of a time with B&W. Please advise where one
>can go to get a ton of info on this topic.
>
>Thanks,

Do a web search on Piezography and on Paul Roarke.

You basically need to dedicate a printer for this work,
with special inks. There are two types of inksets: one
is called "narrow gamut." The other is simply a set
of four "shades" of black and gray; in either case these
inks replace the normal CMYK (or CMYKcm) inks that
are used for color.

For the limited-gamut inksets, no special software is
needed. For the shades-of-gray inksets, you need
special software to drive your printer.

It's quite an art to doing it right, but the results can
be stunning.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com

gsum

If you're just desaturating, the results will not be
very good. Photoshop with suitable filters will produce
results which mimic the various B+W films.
There are many freely available filters on the net.

Graham

"Kev" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello All,
>
> I have printed traditional B&W years ago and now I am getting into
> doing ti digitally. Where is the best place to pick up some tips and
> techniques? I hve been trying to do it but it just doesnt seem to
> look right.
>
> They look a little flat, doesnt have the pop as a silver print. Maybe
> it is just me. For color I have photoshop down and the images look
> like the slides.
>
> But I am having a heck of a time with B&W. Please advise where one
> can go to get a ton of info on this topic.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kev

Kev

Any link to start looking?

Thanks,

Kev

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 08:31:05 +0100, "gsum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If you're just desaturating, the results will not be
>very good. Photoshop with suitable filters will produce
>results which mimic the various B+W films.
>There are many freely available filters on the net.
>
>Graham
>
>"Kev" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I have printed traditional B&W years ago and now I am getting into
>> doing ti digitally. Where is the best place to pick up some tips and
>> techniques? I hve been trying to do it but it just doesnt seem to
>> look right.
>>
>> They look a little flat, doesnt have the pop as a silver print. Maybe
>> it is just me. For color I have photoshop down and the images look
>> like the slides.
>>
>> But I am having a heck of a time with B&W. Please advise where one
>> can go to get a ton of info on this topic.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Kev

Kev

Thanks checked them out but not much there.

Thanks again,

Kev

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 01:46:51 GMT, "Sandy" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Try Luminous Landscape
>"Kev" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I have printed traditional B&W years ago and now I am getting into
>> doing ti digitally. Where is the best place to pick up some tips and
>> techniques? I hve been trying to do it but it just doesnt seem to
>> look right.
>>
>> They look a little flat, doesnt have the pop as a silver print. Maybe
>> it is just me. For color I have photoshop down and the images look
>> like the slides.
>>
>> But I am having a heck of a time with B&W. Please advise where one
>> can go to get a ton of info on this topic.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Kev

gsum

Photoshop filters are easy to find but they vary
greatly in quality.

I do a search periodically. I have downloaded so many
of these over the past few months that I can't be
specific and I'm not at my home PC at the moment.
One set which I think is called N1, contains B+W
old photo effects which add grain (yuk?) and has
graduated and sunlight filters which are very effective
when use in conjunction with the B+W filters.

I see from a parallel thread that you're asking about
dedicating a 1270 and 7600 to B+W printing. I'm not
sure what you mean and would be interested to know
more as I use the 1290 and 7600 myself.

Graham

"Kev" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Any link to start looking?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kev
>

> On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 08:31:05 +0100, "gsum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >If you're just desaturating, the results will not be
> >very good. Photoshop with suitable filters will produce
> >results which mimic the various B+W films.
> >There are many freely available filters on the net.
> >
> >Graham
> >
> >"Kev" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> Hello All,
> >>
> >> I have printed traditional B&W years ago and now I am getting into
> >> doing ti digitally. Where is the best place to pick up some tips and
> >> techniques? I hve been trying to do it but it just doesnt seem to
> >> look right.
> >>
> >> They look a little flat, doesnt have the pop as a silver print. Maybe
> >> it is just me. For color I have photoshop down and the images look
> >> like the slides.
> >>
> >> But I am having a heck of a time with B&W. Please advise where one
> >> can go to get a ton of info on this topic.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Kev

Savidge4

I person am a HP plotter user. So the exact specifics of Epson function is out
of my scope of knowledge.. I will share the ONE thing I have found to help
greatly in the printing of B&W images with HP printers. That is to set in the
printer DRIVER to print greyscale.

Hope that helps!

Steve James

Kev <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> But I am having a heck of a time with B&W. Please advise where one
> can go to get a ton of info on this topic.

A tutorial on using Photoshop for B&W subject:
http://www.computer-darkroom.com/tut...torial_2_1.htm

For printing see:
http://www.piezography.com/

--
To email me use: sjusenet AT comcast DOT net

Rafe B.

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 08:50:44 GMT, Kev <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks checked them out but not much there.

Go to groups.yahoo.com and search on
"piezography" -- there are at least four discussion
groups.

The "inventor" of Piezography is at this site:

http://www.inkjetmall.com/

Paul Roark's website is at:

http://home1.gte.net/res0a2zt/photos.html

rafe b.