Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon i9100 follow up

Canon i9100 follow up

PTRAVEL

A Canon rep at Frys was nice enough to print out the identical sample image
on an i950 and an i9100. There was a definite difference in output. Though
both showed excellent tonality and resolution, the output of the i9100 was
slightly warmer and more saturated than the i950 which, by comparison, had a
slight, but discernable green cast. I preferred the print from the i9100,
though both were excellent.

The rep also showed me a couple of 13 x 19 glossy inch prints from the i9100
which, frankly, were spectacular. It was impossible to tell that they were
from a printer, rather than a darkroom. There was no bronzing at all, no
dithering pattern visible even on close inspection (I didn't use a loupe),
bright, contrasty and saturated colors, and nice, smooth tonality on areas
with subtle shading, e.g. skin tones and sky. I also saw some nice 8 x 10s
printed on matte paper. It's not a look I would use often, but the output
was impressive.

The rep also told me the i9100 will produce about 20 13x10 prints on a set
of cartridges, which works out to about $3.50 each, not counting paper.
This pulls the cost of producing large prints to well below darkroom cost.
Oh, and the best thing -- the i9100 can do borderless prints on 13 x 19.

I'm going to be in New York shortly, and I'll probably order one shipped
from J&R (no tax that way). I still want to take a look at the Epson 2200,
but it's hard to imagine it producing output sufficiently more impressive
than what I saw from the considerably cheaper (both in terms of purchase
price and consumables cost) i9100.

bob reilly

Don't forget about the speed of the printer. Very Fast!
"PTRAVEL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bgs5k0$rnj2b$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> A Canon rep at Frys was nice enough to print out the identical sample

image
> on an i950 and an i9100. There was a definite difference in output.

Though
> both showed excellent tonality and resolution, the output of the i9100 was
> slightly warmer and more saturated than the i950 which, by comparison, had

> slight, but discernable green cast. I preferred the print from the i9100,
> though both were excellent.
>
> The rep also showed me a couple of 13 x 19 glossy inch prints from the

i9100
> which, frankly, were spectacular. It was impossible to tell that they

were
> from a printer, rather than a darkroom. There was no bronzing at all, no
> dithering pattern visible even on close inspection (I didn't use a loupe),
> bright, contrasty and saturated colors, and nice, smooth tonality on areas
> with subtle shading, e.g. skin tones and sky. I also saw some nice 8 x

10s
> printed on matte paper. It's not a look I would use often, but the output
> was impressive.
>
> The rep also told me the i9100 will produce about 20 13x10 prints on a set
> of cartridges, which works out to about $3.50 each, not counting paper.
> This pulls the cost of producing large prints to well below darkroom cost.
> Oh, and the best thing -- the i9100 can do borderless prints on 13 x 19.
>
> I'm going to be in New York shortly, and I'll probably order one shipped
> from J&R (no tax that way). I still want to take a look at the Epson

2200,
> but it's hard to imagine it producing output sufficiently more impressive
> than what I saw from the considerably cheaper (both in terms of purchase
> price and consumables cost) i9100.

Martin Francis

"PTRAVEL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bgs5k0$rnj2b$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

Considering the sh*t I've been through with Epson printers, the frankly poor
mass-printing ability the University Epsons have, and the rather stunning
prints i've seen from i950s and i9100s... I don't think my next printer will
be a Stylus Photo. As for the colour cast on the i950 prints you saw, there
could be any number of reasons. The review I saw of the i950 gave it full
thumbs up for colour accuracy and remarked that the difference in (IIRC) 2pl
and 4pl dots from the respective printers is noticable. If I dump the
majority of my 35mm kit in favour of digital, I may use the proceeds to buy
the i950.

OTOH, I find for my current quantity of print-based work, my local lab is
fairly cost effective and very consistent. Time will tell.

--
Martin
Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot

Stephen Smith

Martin Francis wrote:
> "PTRAVEL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bgs5k0$rnj2b$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>
> Considering the sh*t I've been through with Epson printers, the frankly poor
> mass-printing ability the University Epsons have, and the rather stunning
> prints i've seen from i950s and i9100s... I don't think my next printer will
> be a Stylus Photo. As for the colour cast on the i950 prints you saw, there
> could be any number of reasons. The review I saw of the i950 gave it full
> thumbs up for colour accuracy and remarked that the difference in (IIRC) 2pl
> and 4pl dots from the respective printers is noticable. If I dump the
> majority of my 35mm kit in favour of digital, I may use the proceeds to buy
> the i950.
>
> OTOH, I find for my current quantity of print-based work, my local lab is
> fairly cost effective and very consistent. Time will tell.
>
> --
> Martin
> Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot

I've had the i950 for 2 weeks and am blown away with it. I certainly
don't see any color cast. It's the first home class printer I've used
that allows me to reproduce pretty damn close to what I see on the
screen. Color reproduction is amazing. Speed is the icing on the cake.