Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Batch Rename for Windows Me?

Batch Rename for Windows Me?

Johnbrain666

I have read a few threads inconclusively. I am looking for a mthod to rename a
batch of pics (say, all in one folder) without the extension. Instead of
555.jpg I just want 555, 666, 777 etc.

I read that XP can rename in a series just using windows. Is there software for
Me that will do batch rename? Did somebody say Irfanview does batch renames? I
have photoshop. Anyway to do it in that?

HELP

Dave Herzstein

Johnbrain666 wrote:

> I have read a few threads inconclusively. I am looking for a mthod to rename a
> batch of pics (say, all in one folder) without the extension. Instead of
> 555.jpg I just want 555, 666, 777 etc.
>
> I read that XP can rename in a series just using windows. Is there software for
> Me that will do batch rename? Did somebody say Irfanview does batch renames? I
> have photoshop. Anyway to do it in that?
>
> HELP

http://www.herve-thouzard.com/therename.phtml

-Dave

Mcploppy ©

Johnbrain666 bashed at the keyboard and said :

> I have read a few threads inconclusively. I am looking for a mthod to
> rename a batch of pics (say, all in one folder) without the
> extension. Instead of 555.jpg I just want 555, 666, 777 etc.
>
> I read that XP can rename in a series just using windows. Is there
> software for Me that will do batch rename? Did somebody say Irfanview
> does batch renames? I have photoshop. Anyway to do it in that?
>
> HELP

Hi,

It is in the menus for Irfanview, I have never used it to do this, give it a
go.... http://www.irfanview.com/ Download the plugins as well

--
Mcploppy ©
{ Remove both MyShoes to email me}

Joseph Meehan

I just gota ask. Why?

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Johnbrain666" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have read a few threads inconclusively. I am looking for a mthod to

rename a
> batch of pics (say, all in one folder) without the extension. Instead of
> 555.jpg I just want 555, 666, 777 etc.
>
> I read that XP can rename in a series just using windows. Is there

software for
> Me that will do batch rename? Did somebody say Irfanview does batch

renames? I
> have photoshop. Anyway to do it in that?
>
> HELP

Trevor S

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)ospam (Johnbrain666) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I have read a few threads inconclusively. I am looking for a mthod to
> rename a batch of pics (say, all in one folder) without the extension.
> Instead of 555.jpg I just want 555, 666, 777 etc.

umm use the command line, use the ren command and wildcards...

--
Trevor S

-Albert Einstein

Johnbrain666

I can "automate" bulk ebay posting utilizing excel's autofill feature. IE
Explorer will read jpg's even if they do not have the file extension, so I can
just type my url with a final image name as "1" and for the next item it will
fill in 2, 3, 4, etc.

Of course Netscape browsers will have problems, but I can eliminate about 80%
of my data entry time

Tony Lewis

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 22:30:28 +0100, John Bean <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 06 Aug 2003 21:02:06 GMT, (E-Mail Removed)ospam (Johnbrain666)
>wrote:
>
>>I have read a few threads inconclusively. I am looking for a mthod to rename a
>>batch of pics (say, all in one folder) without the extension. Instead of
>>555.jpg I just want 555, 666, 777 etc.
>>
>>I read that XP can rename in a series just using windows. Is there software for
>>Me that will do batch rename? Did somebody say Irfanview does batch renames? I
>>have photoshop. Anyway to do it in that?

>You can do it from the command prompt in any version of Windows (or
>DOS for that matter!)
>
>Open a command prompt, change to the directory you have the .jpg files
>in, then type:
>
>ren *.jpg *.
>
>Simple, you don't need any extra software to do it

nothing to do with photography but I'm looking for something that will
do renames and traverse subfolders such as ren *.* *.doc /s

--
TonyL

Tony Lewis

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 11:21:51 -0500, "NoOneYouKnow"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Tony Lewis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 22:30:28 +0100, John Bean <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>rename a

>software for

>renames? I
>> >
>> >You can do it from the command prompt in any version of Windows (or
>> >DOS for that matter!)
>> >
>> >Open a command prompt, change to the directory you have the .jpg files
>> >in, then type:
>> >
>> >ren *.jpg *.
>> >
>> >Simple, you don't need any extra software to do it
>> >

>> nothing to do with photography but I'm looking for something that will
>> do renames and traverse subfolders such as ren *.* *.doc /s

>Try the 'for' command. Off the top of my head (meaning it *might* be worth
>what you paid for it):
>
>for /R %i in (.) do ren %i\*.* *.doc
>
>If that doesn't quite work, check 'for /?' for more info

That's pretty close thanks. I hadn't realised the /R option existed.
However your syntax replaces the extension with .doc and I want to
add. eg abc.001 becomes abc.001.doc

I've tried a few variations but they fall over for one reason or
another but I'll press on.

The need wouldn't be there if I could xcopy *.* {dest}*.*.doc which
I'm sure worked on Win9x but not with XP.

--
TonyL

Jean

Not command line, but works great and FREE
http://www.musicsucks.com/CKSoft/CKRename/

Jean

"Tony Lewis" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 11:21:51 -0500, "NoOneYouKnow"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >"Tony Lewis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >rename a

of

> >software for

> >renames? I

> >> nothing to do with photography but I'm looking for something that will
> >> do renames and traverse subfolders such as ren *.* *.doc /s

> >Try the 'for' command. Off the top of my head (meaning it *might* be

worth
> >what you paid for it):
> >
> >for /R %i in (.) do ren %i\*.* *.doc
> >
> >If that doesn't quite work, check 'for /?' for more info

> That's pretty close thanks. I hadn't realised the /R option existed.
> However your syntax replaces the extension with .doc and I want to
> add. eg abc.001 becomes abc.001.doc
>
> I've tried a few variations but they fall over for one reason or
> another but I'll press on.
>
> The need wouldn't be there if I could xcopy *.* {dest}*.*.doc which
> I'm sure worked on Win9x but not with XP.
>

> --
> TonyL

NoOneYouKnow

"Tony Lewis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 11:21:51 -0500, "NoOneYouKnow"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >"Tony Lewis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 22:30:28 +0100, John Bean <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >> wrote:

> >> nothing to do with photography but I'm looking for something that will
> >> do renames and traverse subfolders such as ren *.* *.doc /s

> >Try the 'for' command. Off the top of my head (meaning it *might* be

worth
> >what you paid for it):
> >
> >for /R %i in (.) do ren %i\*.* *.doc
> >
> >If that doesn't quite work, check 'for /?' for more info

> That's pretty close thanks. I hadn't realised the /R option existed.
> However your syntax replaces the extension with .doc and I want to
> add. eg abc.001 becomes abc.001.doc
>
> I've tried a few variations but they fall over for one reason or
> another but I'll press on.
>
> The need wouldn't be there if I could xcopy *.* {dest}*.*.doc which
> I'm sure worked on Win9x but not with XP.

Sorry, I misunderstood. Stick another '*.' in for the replacement name,
like this:

for /R %i in (.) do ren %i\*.* *.*.doc

---JRE---