Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > G3 Problem?? Help

G3 Problem?? Help

Shane & Kimberly Gilbert

I just bought a Canon G3. It's a great camera but sometimes when I am in
the middle of a shooting it just shuts down. It makes a couple of beeps and
then just cuts off. The battery is fully charged and it shouldn't be the
auto off feature because I will be using it when it happens.

Help
Any thoughts?

Don

This is definitely not normal behaviour for a G3. I recommend you return it
to the store where you got it for replacement before it gets any older.

Don

--
Experience is what lets you recognize
a mistake when you make it again.

"Shane & Kimberly Gilbert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:HLdYa.3049$(E-Mail Removed)2.webusenet.com...
> I just bought a Canon G3. It's a great camera but sometimes when I am in
> the middle of a shooting it just shuts down. It makes a couple of beeps

and
> then just cuts off. The battery is fully charged and it shouldn't be the
> auto off feature because I will be using it when it happens.
>
> Help
> Any thoughts?

Jon Wordsworth

> > I just bought a Canon G3. It's a great camera but sometimes when I
> > am in the middle of a shooting it just shuts down. It makes a couple
> > of beeps and then just cuts off. The battery is fully charged and it
> > shouldn't be the auto off feature because I will be using it when it
> > happens.

The fact that it makes a few beeps before shutting off will be a big clue
if you call someone from Canon up and ask them. I don't have my G3 yet,
but just knowing how most other electronic devices work, beeping before
powering off is usually if the battery is low, or something is jammed.
Perhaps you battery doesn't hold a full charge anymore, or else something
in your camera is jammed mechanically and it shuts itself down rather than
burning out the motor.

Try this. Plug the charger or AC adapter in the camera and use that power
so you eliminate it being the camera not getting enough power. Then if it
works, the battery pack is no good. If not, perhaps something is stuck
inside the camera. Perhaps it tries to focus, the lens motor gets stuck
and it shuts down. Or a loose connection somewhere that freaks out the
computer and it just shuts down.