Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Support for Canon Powershot Pro 70 CRW files

Support for Canon Powershot Pro 70 CRW files

Ken Macksey

Hi.

I have spent the better part of 2 days with Canon tech support via
email and searching the internet for information and programs on
converting Canon CRW files. The problem appears to be that Canon
changed the CRW file format from the one used in the Powershot Pro 70
to a newer format. Most of the programs I found including Canon's only
supported the newer format. After trying many programs, mostly
commercial programs,I finally found 1 program that works well with Pro
70 CRW files. Below is the email I passed back to Canon tech support.
I am posting this here in the hopes of helping someone else who may
have the same problem.

Regards

Ken

Hi

I installed the Raw image converter and the viewer, but they do not
seem to work at all with the older Canon Powershot Pro 70 CRW format.

I have searched the internet and tried about 8 other programs that say
they will convert Canon CRW files, but like the Canon converter, they
only work with the newer CRW format and will not convert the older Pro
70 CRW format files.

I did however find one program that does work with the older CRW files
and as a bonus, it is Freeware and can batch process files. I can
upload my CRW file in about 2 seconds and drag and drop it on the
program and it is copied to a tif in about 2.5 seconds leaving the
original CRW file intact.

That is under 5 seconds per file compared to 6 minutes per file with
zoombrowser.

The program is Yarc.exe and is available at
http://www.pictureflow.com/YarcHomePage/yarc.htm

Since Canon has abandoned us older customers, please at least pass
this information on to others seeking support for Powershot Pro 70 CRW
files.

Regards

Ken Macksey