Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Crop without resample?

Crop without resample?

Major Blunts

In Photoshop Elements, is it possible to crop a picture and save it
without resampling the image? Are there other programs that do this?

Thanks.

Mick Ruthven

Cropping and resampling are two different things. I user Photoshop, not
Elements, but it probably works the same or similar in Elements. There is a
Cropping tool for cropping and it does not resample. Resampling is done via
Image / Image Size (check Resample Image).

"Major Blunts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> In Photoshop Elements, is it possible to crop a picture and save it
> without resampling the image? Are there other programs that do this?
>
> Thanks.

Zol.

You can manually select the area you want with the `designate area` tool and
select crop in the menus or you can use the crop tool which will as pointed
out resample slightly - use the rulers or grid if you want a particular size
with the designated area method ... Zol.

"Major Blunts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> In Photoshop Elements, is it possible to crop a picture and save it
> without resampling the image? Are there other programs that do this?
>
> Thanks.

Allegro

By default, the crop tool will NOT resample your image, unless you place
a value in the Resolution field under its Properties so you can safely
use this. You can also use the Rectangular Marquee tool and then select
Image|Crop from the top menu, which also doesn't resample your image.

Zol. wrote:
> You can manually select the area you want with the `designate area` tool and
> select crop in the menus or you can use the crop tool which will as pointed
> out resample slightly - use the rulers or grid if you want a particular size
> with the designated area method ... Zol.
>

> "Major Blunts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
>
>>In Photoshop Elements, is it possible to crop a picture and save it
>>without resampling the image? Are there other programs that do this?
>>
>>Thanks.

Major Blunts

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Major Blunts) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) om>...
> In Photoshop Elements, is it possible to crop a picture and save it
> without resampling the image? Are there other programs that do this?
>
> Thanks.

I should have been clearer in my post. After you crop the photo and
do a Save As", it appears that it will resample the the picture again
(Image Options), not just save the "original" cropped photo.

Guido Vollbeding

Major Blunts wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) (Major Blunts) wrote in message
> news:<(E-Mail Removed) om>...
> > In Photoshop Elements, is it possible to crop a picture and save it
> > without resampling the image? Are there other programs that do this?
> >
> > Thanks.

> I should have been clearer in my post. After you crop the photo and
> do a Save As", it appears that it will resample the the picture again
> (Image Options), not just save the "original" cropped photo.

There is no need for resample when cropping a photo image.
But you might mean *recompression*: If your original photo is
in compressed JPEG format, then a usual graphics editor will
recompress (and thereby reduce quality of) the image if you
Save As JPEG again.
There are few special programs for "lossless cropping" of JPEG
images which avoid the compression. Try Jpegcrop:

http://jpegclub.org

or

http://jpegclub.org/losslessapps.html

Regards
Guido

zeta zeta is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido Vollbeding View Post
Major Blunts wrote:

> (Major Blunts) wrote in message
> news..
> > In Photoshop Elements, is it possible to crop a picture and save it
> > without resampling the image? Are there other programs that do this?
> >
> > Thanks.

> I should have been clearer in my post. After you crop the photo and
> do a Save As", it appears that it will resample the the picture again
> (Image Options), not just save the "original" cropped photo.

There is no need for resample when cropping a photo image.
But you might mean *recompression*: If your original photo is
in compressed JPEG format, then a usual graphics editor will
recompress (and thereby reduce quality of) the image if you
Save As JPEG again.
There are few special programs for "lossless cropping" of JPEG
images which avoid the compression. Try Jpegcrop:

Regards
Guido
Thanks a lot for this, I also thought it was resampling but recompress is the right word. And good recommendations.