Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Opinions:Minolta Dual Scan III

Re: Opinions:Minolta Dual Scan III

Godfrey DiGiorgi

If you are new to scanning, please review Wayne Fulton's excellent
website, <http://www.scantips.com/> for lots of significant information
you will need to know in order to make informed decisions on scanners
and scanning techniques.

The Scan Dual III is a 2820ppi scanner. It will produce a 2665x3997
pixel scan file (10.2Mpixel) from a full-frame 35mm negative or slide.
This will allow printing a 9x13" image-size enlargement at 300ppi or a
12x18" image-size enlargement at 220ppi. That's enough resolution for
most people's print needs and far more than you need for on-screen and
web display pictures.

The Scan Dual III is a very good scanner at a quite modest price
(sub-$300 from B&H). It does not have some of the more sophisticated
scanners' features, like scratch and dust removal.

Other choices:
The Nikon Coolscan IV ED is about double the money, a slightly higher
resolution (2900ppi) and includes dust and scratch removal. It's a
better made scanner. The Canon FS4000U is a higher resolution film
scanner (4000ppi) with the other features of the Nikon but not quite
the same build quality, at just a little more money nowadays. Nikon
also makes a competing 4000ppi unit at a bit more money (and quality).

There is also a new Minolta 5400 ppi film scanner on the market, but I
have not seen much output from it yet and do not know what it's quality
is like.

Godfrey