Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Know any good Binoculars shops in/near LONDON, UK? (for quality binoculars)

Know any good Binoculars shops in/near LONDON, UK? (for quality binoculars)

Shiperton Henethe

Sorry but I *still* cant a decent binoculars shops
in the UK!

I have now done quite a lot of surfing and I still
can't find a single shop in the UK that seems to stock
a decent range of quality binoculars... (let alone
describe them online). There is practically nothing
in Google...

Fwiw, the there is a (IMHO) fabulous resource
on www.epinions.com listing most (all?) of the top
binoculars models and is a great place to compare
features. The opinions there are a start but
limited in numbers and slightly trashy one suspects.

Trouble is that it's all USA based of course.
Pah! Why cant the brits do something similar/better?!

Out of desperation I tried buying birdwatching
magazines but Brixton is clean out of stock of
such a thing...

==> Meanwhile can anyone suggest any physical shops
in (Central-ish) London with a decent range
of top quality binoculars to try out??

I know about http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/home.php
and intend to visit them though their range of stock
may prove limited (judging by their website...)!

With thanks

Ship

Gordon Hamlett

"Shiperton Henethe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f30fff0$0$25425$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Sorry but I *still* cant a decent binoculars shops
> in the UK!
>
> I have now done quite a lot of surfing and I still
> can't find a single shop in the UK that seems to stock
> a decent range of quality binoculars... (let alone
> describe them online). There is practically nothing
> in Google...

I've already emailed you privately but had no reply so I'll try again.

If you can manage it, the Bird Fair at Rutland Water is coming up
(15-17th August) A great day out and you can compare every single
model under field conditions. Warning - don't buy there though. Do
what everyone else does and go home and order from either Ace Optics
or Warehouse Express - much cheaper and first class service.

http://www.birdfair.org.uk/

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/

http://www.acecameras.co.uk/

If you want descriptions of individual models, go to the appropriate
manufacturer's web page, Leica, Swarovski etc

If you want reviews etc, several people have pointed you to the better
view desired pages.

We're doing all we can to help you ...

Gordon

Daje

"Shiperton Henethe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f30fff0$0$25425$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Sorry but I *still* cant a decent binoculars shops
> in the UK!
>
> I have now done quite a lot of surfing and I still
> can't find a single shop in the UK that seems to stock
> a decent range of quality binoculars... (let alone
> describe them online). There is practically nothing
> in Google...
>
> Fwiw, the there is a (IMHO) fabulous resource
> on www.epinions.com listing most (all?) of the top
> binoculars models and is a great place to compare
> features. The opinions there are a start but
> limited in numbers and slightly trashy one suspects.
>
> Trouble is that it's all USA based of course.
> Pah! Why cant the brits do something similar/better?!
>
> Out of desperation I tried buying birdwatching
> magazines but Brixton is clean out of stock of
> such a thing...
>
> ==> Meanwhile can anyone suggest any physical shops
> in (Central-ish) London with a decent range
> of top quality binoculars to try out??
>
> I know about http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/home.php
> and intend to visit them though their range of stock
> may prove limited (judging by their website...)!
>
> With thanks
>

> Ship

Infocus have an outlet at The Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust, London Wetland
Centre, Queen Elizabeth's Walk, Barnes, London SW13 9WT Tel: 020 8409 4433.
Haven't been to this particular shop but if it is the same as their roving
outlet that visits various sites round the UK they should have a good range
of quality bins that you can test and compare. SW13 may not be very central
but the Wetland Centre sounds better than Oxford street for testing
binoculars.

Dave

Osprey

"Alan Gardiner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bgr0r2$rd35s$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> "Shiperton Henethe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3f30fff0$0$25425$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > Sorry but I *still* cant a decent binoculars shops
> > in the UK!
> >

> I did suggest the London Camera exchange in the Strand (No 98 telephone
> 0207 379 0200 ) http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/shop.php?id=5.
>
> It's definitely central London and would at least be worth a phone call
> to see what they stock.

He He. They have the reputation for optics as the
preverbial................. & the rest of their outlets are the same.

Osprey

Mike Humberston

"Daje" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Infocus have an outlet at The Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust, London Wetland
>Centre, Queen Elizabeth's Walk, Barnes, London SW13 9WT Tel: 020 8409 4433.
>Haven't been to this particular shop but if it is the same as their roving
>outlet that visits various sites round the UK they should have a good range
>of quality bins that you can test and compare. SW13 may not be very central
>but the Wetland Centre sounds better than Oxford street for testing
>binoculars.

The only problem with In Focus is that they don't stock Leica binoculars and
anyone thinking of buying good quality bins. should be including Leica on their
comparison list.

--
Mike Humberston
Barnes, London

WARNING: Spam trap in operation. Send any e-mail reply to mike, not oblivion.

Osprey

"Mike Humberston" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Daje" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Infocus have an outlet at The Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust, London

Wetland
> >Centre, Queen Elizabeth's Walk, Barnes, London SW13 9WT Tel: 020 8409

4433.
> >Haven't been to this particular shop but if it is the same as their

roving
> >outlet that visits various sites round the UK they should have a good

range
> >of quality bins that you can test and compare. SW13 may not be very

central
> >but the Wetland Centre sounds better than Oxford street for testing
> >binoculars.

> The only problem with In Focus is that they don't stock Leica binoculars

and
> anyone thinking of buying good quality bins. should be including Leica on

their
> comparison list.

Not surprised! Over rated to be sure and at least comparable Bino's are
cheaper.

Osprey

Simon Gardner

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mike Humberston <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Go to Kay Optical in Morden, South London. If you are in Brixton then it's not
> that far from you. Their web site http://www.kayoptical.co.uk/ is little more
> than a list of models and prices but I would only make a decision about
> binocular purchase after making comparison by actually handling and using them,
> not by reading reviews in magazines (which rely on manufacturers for advertising
> revenue) or on the Internet where many of the reviews are little more than
> self-justifications for purchases.
>
> Kay have models from all the top manufacturers although I would telephone them
> in advance of visiting them. They also run field days at various reserves in
> the South-east on Sundays - see their web site for details.
>
> I have purchased from them and have found them to be helpful people to do
> business with.

I would concur. I've bought a number of bins and several scopes from Kay
[not the London shop] over the years from our local rep (now retired) who
toured various of the reserves. Ever helpful and I was always happy to go
back.

The nice things was being able to try out on my local reserve in normal
conditions [dull, drizzly and cold].

Shiperton Henethe

"Osprey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bgriad$rgi9e$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> "Mike Humberston" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "Daje" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > >Infocus have an outlet at The Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust, London

> Wetland
> > >Centre, Queen Elizabeth's Walk, Barnes, London SW13 9WT Tel: 020 8409

> 4433.
> > >Haven't been to this particular shop but if it is the same as their

> roving
> > >outlet that visits various sites round the UK they should have a good

> range
> > >of quality bins that you can test and compare. SW13 may not be very

> central
> > >but the Wetland Centre sounds better than Oxford street for testing
> > >binoculars.

> > The only problem with In Focus is that they don't stock Leica binoculars

> and
> > anyone thinking of buying good quality bins. should be including Leica

on
> their
> > comparison list.

> Not surprised! Over rated to be sure and at least comparable Bino's are
> cheaper.

But Swaros are more expensive.
Nikons may prove nearly as good
but heavier than both. Weight
though not physical size is
terribly important to me
(as I shall be doing extreme
hillwalking with them).

Ship

Shiperton Henethe

Excellent. Thanks

Ship

"Mike Humberston" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Shiperton Henethe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Sorry but I *still* cant a decent binoculars shops
> >in the UK!

> Go to Kay Optical in Morden, South London. If you are in Brixton then

it's not
> that far from you. Their web site http://www.kayoptical.co.uk/ is little

more
> than a list of models and prices but I would only make a decision about
> binocular purchase after making comparison by actually handling and using

them,
> not by reading reviews in magazines (which rely on manufacturers for

advertising
> revenue) or on the Internet where many of the reviews are little more than
> self-justifications for purchases.
>
> Kay have models from all the top manufacturers although I would telephone

them
> in advance of visiting them. They also run field days at various reserves

in
> the South-east on Sundays - see their web site for details.
>
> I have purchased from them and have found them to be helpful people to do
> business with.
>
> --
> Mike Humberston
> Barnes, London
>
> WARNING: Spam trap in operation. Send any e-mail reply to mike, not

oblivion.

Malcolm

In article <3f327c06$0$10766$(E-Mail Removed)>, Shiperton
Henethe <(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>"Gordon Hamlett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:bgr4oj$3l0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Shiperton Henethe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:3f30fff0$0$25425$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> > Sorry but I *still* cant a decent binoculars shops
>> > in the UK!
>> >
>> > I have now done quite a lot of surfing and I still
>> > can't find a single shop in the UK that seems to stock
>> > a decent range of quality binoculars... (let alone
>> > describe them online). There is practically nothing
>> > in Google...
>> >

>> I've already emailed you privately but had no reply so I'll try again.
>>
>> If you can manage it, the Bird Fair at Rutland Water is coming up
>> (15-17th August) A great day out and you can compare every single
>> model under field conditions. Warning - don't buy there though. Do
>> what everyone else does and go home and order from either Ace Optics
>> or Warehouse Express - much cheaper and first class service.
>>
>> http://www.birdfair.org.uk/

>Not abad plan but..
>Aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>Why cant people design website properly??
>Where the heck is this fair?
>Where is Rutland Water ?
>And how would I get there by public transport?
>*Which* Oakham is it near.
>Streetmap.co.uk has about 19!

If you go back to Streetmap, you'll find there is just one Rutland
Water!

And what on earth's wrong with the website? If you go back to it and
look in the left hand column of the home page you will see a very
obvious link labelled "Travel & accommodation" which contains everything
to answer your questions. Indeed, when you click on it, the very first
item that appears is "Where is Rutland Water", and that is followed by
links to "By car or coach" and "By Train".

>> We're doing all we can to help you ...

>Yes much appreciated!!

Good )

--