Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > photographing something through a chain link fence

photographing something through a chain link fence

Kenny

"Wyatt80" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >Subject: photographing something through a chain link fence
> >From: "Eigenvector" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

> >What's the best method of doing this? I'm trying to capture a object

that is
> about 75 yards away
> >behind a chain link fence. >my camera to focus on anything but the

actual
> fence itself.>
> >Anyway, I'm using an Olympus C720, on about 5x zoom setting.

> I have shot trough a fence by zooming to 200 mm and opening the lens ,

while
> manually focusing. I dont know if , you can get a 35 mm to use .

Another good trick is to use some matt black aerosol spray paint on a
small area of the fence. This makes it virtually 'disappear. It is a lot
easier with an SLR/DSLR due to the DOF problems and lack of aperture
control of a lot of P&S cameras.

Kenny

Eigenvector

"JK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If your camera doesn't have a manual focus option, you can focus on
> something that looks to be a similar distance away, then lock in the
> distance. Set the camera on manual and experiment with exposure.

That sounds like the best bet for me here. I'll have to practice my
technique though, from my limited experience the C720 doesn't do focus
locking very well. I was hoping it would do manual focusing, but no such
luck.

As to painting the fence comment - I don't think the track security would
appreciate me painting grafitti on their fence no matter how innocent it
might be.
> Eigenvector wrote:
>
> > What's the best method of doing this? I'm trying to capture a object

that
> > is about 75 yards away, small car to be exact, but the thing is parked
> > behind a chain link fence. Its a really neat car, but danged if I can

get
> > my camera to focus on anything but the actual fence itself. I've tried
> > locking the focus but its like a focal magnet, one click and bang I get

> > nice crisp image of the metal links in the fence and a blurry image of

the
> > car. I have to zoom in quite a bit to get the car to a reasonable size

so
> > that might be part of it there. And no, I can't just stick the lens

through
> > the links in the fence - that would be too easy.
> >
> > Anyway, I'm using an Olympus C720, on about 5x zoom setting.

Jon Wordsworth

> Another good trick is to use some matt black aerosol spray paint on a
> small area of the fence. This makes it virtually 'disappear.

If you are going to go that far, (carrying around cans of spray paint and
vandalizing property) why not just carry cutters and cut a big opening in
the fence?

Why has no one suggested going on the other side of the fence to take the
picture? Because it is private property that they are not going to be
allowed on? In that case, you shouldn't be taking pictures of their
property. If you had permission to take the pictures, you would be on the
other side of the fence and would not need to worry how to shoot through it.

At least that is how it seems to me. I always go around the fence if it is
in my way. Since this option does not seem to come up, one wonders what
people are taking pictures of here that they should not be taking?

Eigenvector

"Jon Wordsworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Another good trick is to use some matt black aerosol spray paint on a
> > small area of the fence. This makes it virtually 'disappear.

> If you are going to go that far, (carrying around cans of spray paint and
> vandalizing property) why not just carry cutters and cut a big opening in
> the fence?
>
> Why has no one suggested going on the other side of the fence to take the
> picture? Because it is private property that they are not going to be
> allowed on? In that case, you shouldn't be taking pictures of their
> property. If you had permission to take the pictures, you would be on

the
> other side of the fence and would not need to worry how to shoot through

it.

> At least that is how it seems to me. I always go around the fence if it

is
> in my way. Since this option does not seem to come up, one wonders what
> people are taking pictures of here that they should not be taking?

Not everyone is allowed on the racetrack when cars are zooming by! Also,
people are severely restricted from going onto airport runways as well.
Even something as simple as a shipping dock is restricted. These are images
of public or non-sensitive items, but for safetys sake access is restricted.

Rachael the Wiccan Rat

"Jon Wordsworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Another good trick is to use some matt black aerosol spray paint on a
> > small area of the fence. This makes it virtually 'disappear.

> If you are going to go that far, (carrying around cans of spray paint and
> vandalizing property) why not just carry cutters and cut a big opening in
> the fence?
>
> Why has no one suggested going on the other side of the fence to take the
> picture? Because it is private property that they are not going to be
> allowed on? In that case, you shouldn't be taking pictures of their
> property. If you had permission to take the pictures, you would be on

the
> other side of the fence and would not need to worry how to shoot through

it.

> At least that is how it seems to me. I always go around the fence if it

is
> in my way. Since this option does not seem to come up, one wonders what
> people are taking pictures of here that they should not be taking?

I spent the day at a wildlife sanctuary at the weekend, taking shots of the
animals. They were behind chainlink fences.

If you feel the need to go climb in with the foxes and wolves and wildcats
or toehr dangerous things that reside behind fences, you go right ahead
.... - just don't call us from the police station or the hospital.

Rachael

Jon Wordsworth

> I spent the day at a wildlife sanctuary at the weekend, taking shots of the
> animals. They were behind chainlink fences.

That is a good example where I can understand the desire to shoot through a
fence.

> If you feel the need to go climb in with the foxes and wolves and wildcats
> or toehr dangerous things that reside behind fences, you go right ahead
> ... - just don't call us from the police station or the hospital.

Actually, if it was allowed? I WOULD go in with them. These poor animals
have a bad stereotype attached to them that is not deserved. If a person is
attacked or injured by an animal, it is usually 99% the person's fault. If
you know and understand animals, you won't have a problem. I have squirrels
climb on me, get deer and raccoons to come right up to me. I have been right
up to an adult elephant and a black bear. The elephant was tame, but the
bear was wild. I keep trying to get close enough to foxes and wolves, but
they run away as soon as they spot or smell you.

I am much more afraid of humans than I am of animals.

When people are not able to catch or retrieve their own dogs or cats, I just go
to them and have them come up to me. There is a universal communication
between all animals, people just don't know how to use it. If you go towards
an animal with your eyes wide open you don't have a chance. Just common
sense. Look at how the other animals do it, learn the language. Different
species can communicate with others just by eye and body movements. Being
human doesn't mean you can't do the same thing.

Everytime I go to someone's house and they tell me their cat or dog will never
come up to me because it never goes up to any strangers, I laugh and
immediately have the animal come straight towards me to the amazement of the
owner.

Just because an animal is wild does not mean it is stupid. Most wild animals
have intelligence levels much higher than humans, because humans are
conditioned to not think and reason with logic, but instead react and act as
they have been conditioned by school and society. Animals just work with
common sense and logic.

Would a human stop at a red light at 3 am at an intersection in the middle of
nowhere where you can see there are no cars on either of the roads for
miles? Yes, most would. An animal would not. Who is more intelligent?

Charlie D

http://www.teemu.net/friday/17DE1188.html
> With a telephoto lens (or a zoom zoomed to the max) there's no trace of
> the wiring in the photo.

Great shot Teemu!

--
Charlie Dilks
Newark, DE USA

Frank ess

"Charlie D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> In article <bgtjhf$t7f$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) (Teemu Mottonen) wrote:
>

> > That's right. I used this technique at the Canadian F1 race, for

example:
> http://www.teemu.net/friday/17DE1188.html
> > With a telephoto lens (or a zoom zoomed to the max) there's no trace of
> > the wiring in the photo.

> Great shot Teemu!

Teemu gets around and does good.

Where's your next project, Teemu?

Kenny

"Jon Wordsworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Another good trick is to use some matt black aerosol spray paint on

> > small area of the fence. This makes it virtually 'disappear.

> If you are going to go that far, (carrying around cans of spray paint

and
> vandalizing property) why not just carry cutters and cut a big opening

in
> the fence?
>
> Why has no one suggested going on the other side of the fence to take

the
> picture? Because it is private property that they are not going to

be
> allowed on? In that case, you shouldn't be taking pictures of their
> property. If you had permission to take the pictures, you would be

on the
> other side of the fence and would not need to worry how to shoot

through it.

The matt black paint trick has been used by motorsport photographers for
years as most race circuits have fences for safety reasons. You only do
a very small patch, and remember, it is matt black, that will hardly be
noticed. It certainly can't be classified as graffiti, especially as
most of the fences I have seen it used on need more than a coat of paint
anyway. It only needs to cover a bit more than the diameter of your
lens, and unless you use a 500mm prime with a huge end glass as I do, it
will be a very small patch.

I am sorry, but I am a photographer and I will always find a way to get
the picture I want (within reason of course).

Kenny

Jon Wordsworth

> The matt black paint trick has been used by motorsport photographers for
> years

I will be sure to remember that so that I don't ever have any over to my
house.

> as most race circuits have fences for safety reasons. You only do
> a very small patch, and remember, it is matt black, that will hardly be
> noticed.

I would never do that to someone else's property. What if they don't want
paint on their fence?
Perhaps one day I will shoot a shot and your car will be nearby and cause a
glare that I will have to get rid of with some harmless matt black spray
paint. Now that I know you won't mind, I will feel free to do that.