Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Shutter Lag

Re: Shutter Lag

Paul Rubin

"Whitespc" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> I have a new Canon Elph S400 (4.0 megapixels). I purchased a 256 mb card
> and it was the type that was supposedly "faster".
>
> I find that when I take pictures in dark environments or indoors, I
> experience extreme shutter lag or something similar. I alway's push the
> shutter button halfway and then I find that when I push it all the way down,
> the picture can take upwards of a second or more...... what can I do to
> minimize this?

The lag is caused by AF delay. The AF is slow in the best conditions
and much worse in the dark. If you press the button halfway down and
wait-wait-wait-wait until the AF is ready (may take a second or two),
then you should be able to press it the rest of the way down and get
the shot with very little lag.

Unfortunately almost all consumer digicams have the exact same
problem. You've discovered one of the scandals of digital
photography.

borge

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 18:00:40 +0200, Hans-Georg Michna
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Paul Rubin <http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>"Whitespc" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>>> I have a new Canon Elph S400 (4.0 megapixels). I purchased a 256 mb card
>>> and it was the type that was supposedly "faster".
>>>
>>> I find that when I take pictures in dark environments or indoors, I
>>> experience extreme shutter lag or something similar. I alway's push the
>>> shutter button halfway and then I find that when I push it all the way down,
>>> the picture can take upwards of a second or more...... what can I do to
>>> minimize this?

>>The lag is caused by AF delay. The AF is slow in the best conditions
>>and much worse in the dark. If you press the button halfway down and
>>wait-wait-wait-wait until the AF is ready (may take a second or two),
>>then you should be able to press it the rest of the way down and get
>>the shot with very little lag.
>>
>>Unfortunately almost all consumer digicams have the exact same
>>problem. You've discovered one of the scandals of digital
>>photography.

>Paul,
>
>I was just going to write the very same thing when I stumbled
>over your message. I think you are exactly right, particularly
>because Whitespc complained that this happens when it's dark.
>Apparently the autofocus doesn't work as quickly or not at all
>in the dark.
>
>So I just want to underline what you wrote.
>
>Hans-Georg

I have the same trouble when I use the Pentax Optio. Coming from the
Olympus 2100 with the infrared beam, it was a pain - until I found
that the Optio on manual focus goes from 3 to infinity with no change
to the lens. Now I have set the memory to come from start at infinity
and set the focus to manual - one click and I have the photo once the
subject is more than 3 meters away - that is of course on wide angle.
No delay.

I am getting quite good at estimating the distance of a 6 foot fellow
laid end to end with a dwarf.

For your information, my stats are:
Win 2000, Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz
1 Gb memory,ADSL
80+40 GB of disc space,Oly C2100 & Optio S
Borge Pedersen
Perth, Australia
(E-Mail Removed)
remove SPAM for email

Hans-Georg Michna

"Marcia Beinhauer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>One of the many aspects of the Canon 400 that I love is that, once focussed,
>it has practically no appreciable shutter lag. If you want to experience
>real shutter lag, try an Olympus 3030! I get action shots with the 400, and
>movement is frozen.

Marcia,

actually, one of the more interesting designs was one camera
that actually had a negative shutter lag. Forgot which.

Now, before you laugh, think.

I wish my camera had that, but they've stopped doing that,
because it's technically a bit difficult.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Juan R. Pollo

"Hans-Georg Michna" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Marcia Beinhauer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >One of the many aspects of the Canon 400 that I love is that, once

focussed,
> >it has practically no appreciable shutter lag. If you want to experience
> >real shutter lag, try an Olympus 3030! I get action shots with the 400,

and
> >movement is frozen.

I think she may be referring to "slow shutter", rather than shutter lag,
which is the time elapsed between depressing the button and image capture.

> Marcia,
>
> actually, one of the more interesting designs was one camera
> that actually had a negative shutter lag. Forgot which.

I remember Steven Wright mentioning a time when he put instant coffee in the
microwave and almost went back in time.

Juan

Hans-Georg Michna

"Juan R. Pollo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I think she may be referring to "slow shutter", rather than shutter lag,
>which is the time elapsed between depressing the button and image capture.

Juan,

the time elapsed between depressing the button and image capture
is shutter lag, assumed that other things are out of the way,
like autofocus.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Juan R. Pollo

I agree. It was her reference to "I get action shots with the 400, and
movement is frozen." that led me to believe that perhaps there was a
confusion.

Juan