Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Photographing Mars

Photographing Mars

Roger N. Clark

Kulvinder Singh Matharu wrote:

> On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 08:18:43 -0600, "Roger N. Clark"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Having said the below, I tried photographing Mars last night
> >with a telephoto lens and tripod to see just what might
> >be done. So here is Mars with a Canon 10D, 500mm and 1.4x
> >teleconverter:
> >
> >http://www.clarkvision.com/astro/mars2003.html

> Interesting...1/45 sec exposure. How many stops do you lose with the
> teleconverter?

A 1.4x teleconverter magnifies the image 1.4x so the
image surface brightness drops by 1.4*1.4 = 2
or one stop.

I set the exposure manually and just looked at the
result on the LCD screen (zoomed in 10x) to be
sure I got it right. The light meter completely
fails to get the right exposure.

Roger

Roger N. Clark

ralford wrote:

> Incredible (as usual)! Thanks. I am surprised the exposure was so short.
> Cheers,
> Richard

Remember Mars is illuminated by the sun. Mars right
now is about 40% further from the sun, so the light
level is 1.4*1.4 ~ 2x fainter (one stop).
The sunny f/16 rule for the Earth would say 1/100
sec at f/16 for ISO 100 or 1/200 at f/11. Losing
one stop would put the exposure at about 1/100 second,
close to the 1/45 I used.

Roger

> "Roger N. Clark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Having said the below, I tried photographing Mars last night
> > with a telephoto lens and tripod to see just what might
> > be done. So here is Mars with a Canon 10D, 500mm and 1.4x
> > teleconverter:
> >
> > http://www.clarkvision.com/astro/mars2003.html
> >
> > Here is a moon, jupiter and saturn example I did with a D60:
> > http://clarkvision.com/astro/moon_saturn_jupiter.d60.v1
> >
> > Note the Mars image has been enlarged 3x compared to the
> > moon, jupiter and saturn image.
> >
> > Roger Clark
> >
> > "Roger N. Clark" wrote:

Terry K.

Nice Mars pictures Dick. Thanks for sharing them. Mars gets closer until 8/27 I believe.

--
"What is history, but a fable agreed upon."
--- Napoleon Bonaparte
"DL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
Luke, I use ImagesPlus to do alignment with a graded average. More
info on my Mars page:
http://home.houston.rr.com/dtlocke/Mars-2003.htm

-Dick

"Luke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bgpihp$4eo$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > For planetary, the
> > technique is to take a lot of digital images in a short period of time,

> and then
> > combine them. Film still rules for widefield stuff IMHO, though digital

> cameras
> > are catching up.
> >

> What do you use to adjust alignment in recombination? Or do you just stack
> and hope for the best?
>
> Luke

Jim Townsend

Lionel wrote:

> On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 09:04:36 -0500, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jim Townsend <(E-Mail Removed)>
> said:
>
>>Here's a shot taken last night with the 10D and the 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS (at
>>400mm)
>>
>> http://members.shaw.ca/jamestownsend/moon400.jpg

> Okay, you've sold me.
> What shutter & aperture did you use for that one?

That one was taken at 1/90 sec, f5.6, ISO 100.

Stephen Dowdy

Since this thread has sidetracked from mars to the moon..., i have some
sample shots i did of the moon at:

http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~dowdy/DigiCam/CVLX8/Moon2/

Details:
Camera: Canon G2
Spotting Scope: CrystalVue LX8
Telescope: Meade ETX90 using the CrystalVue's removable 40mm
Superwide eyepiece on the ETX90

These images have not been processed at all. (other than breezebrowser's
auto-levels and USM settings for generating HTML output)

I didn't put much energy into them, mainly because i was just seeing if
the setup would be useable for different tasks (i'm mostly interested in
wildlife and landscape stuff)

One thing i have been forced to realize from shooting the moon is that
i've got a lot of hot and stuck pixels on my G2 that are becoming more
annoying to me every time i shoot As opposed to the other wife stories
around here, when i told me wife this, she said "Do you need to get a new
camera, then?". I count myself lucky!

I tried to get an image of Jupiter, but i wasn't having much luck, because:
- i didn't have the time to do it right
- i live in Denver (Broomfield), and the sky sucks here
- i didn't have the ETX90 aligned and the drive motor running
I might try again someday...

The CrystalVue is $190 at http://www.ckcpower.com, The ETX90 cost
$600 several years ago, but you can find some for $200 these days.

That's some pretty cheap magnification power for a digicam.

Other sample pictures with this setup are at:

http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~dowdy/DigiCam/CVLX8

--stephen
Stephen Dowdy - Systems Administrator - CS Dept - Univ of Colorado at Boulder
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) -- http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~dowdy/signature.html

MARS S. Gione Cisco 2 10-17-2006 08:41 AM
Albatron Mars PX915SLI Intel 915PL SLI Motherboard Silverstrand Front Page News 0 10-05-2005 09:02 PM
Mars webpage made with Mozilla Composer Allan Robertson Firefox 3 01-31-2004 06:39 PM
Digicam on Mars -- Spirit Mars Rover takeone Digital Photography 1 01-06-2004 09:22 PM
Photographing Mars' grand show Roger N. Clark Digital Photography 14 08-12-2003 02:14 AM

Advertisments