Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Shutter Lag

Re: Shutter Lag

Juan R. Pollo

I've found that the image is captured pretty darn close to when you fully
depress the button, regardless of any indicators staying flashing
afterwards. I recently caught a dog catching a ball in midair twice in two
tries, at the time I thought I was wasting my time because I had no idea
when the shutter was tripping. Now that I think of it, I did have a manual
exposure setting at the time and set the focus before snapping the pics.

Juan

"Whitespc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a new Canon Elph S400 (4.0 megapixels). I purchased a 256 mb card
> and it was the type that was supposedly "faster".
>
> I find that when I take pictures in dark environments or indoors, I
> experience extreme shutter lag or something similar. I alway's push the
> shutter button halfway and then I find that when I push it all the way

down,
> the picture can take upwards of a second or more...... what can I do to
> minimize this?
>
> The elph has a lot of advanced features like auto focus, artificial
> intelligence auto focus, AF beam assist, etc. Which options need to be
> turned off and what options should be enabled to minimize the lag? I am
> using the best resolution and I understand that adds to the lag.... Do you
> get more lag the larger or the fuller the memory card?
>
> Thanks

Dreamer

"Juan R. Pollo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:86QXa.85805$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've found that the image is captured pretty darn close to when you fully
> depress the button, regardless of any indicators staying flashing
> afterwards.

The indicator flashing afterwards usually means "writing to flash card" and
has some bearing on when you can take your *next* shot.

I recently caught a dog catching a ball in midair twice in two
> tries, at the time I thought I was wasting my time because I had no idea
> when the shutter was tripping. Now that I think of it, I did have a manual
> exposure setting at the time and set the focus before snapping the pics.

And it was pretty darn fast, wasn't it! I love it when things work the way
they're supposed to.

Paul Rubin

"Dreamer" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> The indicator flashing afterwards usually means "writing to flash card" and
> has some bearing on when you can take your *next* shot.

Not on my S100 and probably not on the S400. On the S100 at least,
there's some ram buffer, so you can shoot while the write-to-flash
light is blinking. If you do that, you can see the light will keep
blinking for a little longer, since there's more stuff buffered up
that needs writing. The S100 can buffer about 3 frames in the highest
res, lowest compression mode. In high-res, normal compression,
it can buffer maybe 7 frames.