Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Carrying into the field

Carrying into the field

Eigenvector

For all the hikers in this group, what do you guys typically carry with you
when going on a short day hike (say 10 miles) or maybe a 2 day backpack? I
was thinking about this when I took a short hike up the Pac Crest Trail.
The whole time I had my camera belted to my hip and I was having a heck of a
time keeping my pants from falling down - had to go out and buy suspenders
just to support my camera bag. Granted the belt I was using was too big for
me and had stretched out from sweat and water but still how much camera gear
would you take with you on a day or short backpacking trip?

Here's what I carry (aside from my normal hiking gear like food, water,
clothing, and ice ax). Basically its my Lowepro bag, fairly large one to
fit my C720, a fresh(er) set of batteries, a semi-clean rag , and a backup
memory stick. Its a nice setup I think, aside from the suspenders of
course, cause I only have to flip open the top of my bag and pull out my
camera. It has a tendency to snag on branches or get caught on rocks but
the bag is pretty sturdy really and I was amazed at just how waterproof it
is - it managed to keep my camera dry after hiking 15 miles in the pouring
rain.

Still, I've been hiking for about 20 years now and I've only seen 2 people
lugging around tripods or extra lenses for their cameras. Do people
actually carry that stuff with them on hikes or is that too much effort?

Robertwgross

Eigenvector wrote:
>For all the hikers in this group, what do you guys typically carry with you
>when going on a short day hike (say 10 miles) or maybe a 2 day backpack?

I did a 2-day backpack in Yosemite to the area around El Capitan. One Canon
D60 digital camera, one Canon film camera, one full-size tripod, 2GB in CF
cards, eight rolls of film, four lenses in all, plus a few filters and cables.
Everything went into the backpack except for one camera in a holster over my
neck and shoulder. I took no big flash.

---Bob Gross---

Eigenvector

news:IHPXa.49217$(E-Mail Removed) et...
> Eigenvector wrote:
> > For all the hikers in this group, what do you guys typically carry
> > with you when going on a short day hike (say 10 miles) or maybe a 2
> > day backpack? I was thinking about this when I took a short hike up
> > the Pac Crest Trail. The whole time I had my camera belted to my hip
> > and I was having a heck of a time keeping my pants from falling down
> > - had to go out and buy suspenders just to support my camera bag.
> > Granted the belt I was using was too big for me and had stretched out
> > from sweat and water but still how much camera gear would you take
> > with you on a day or short backpacking trip?
> >
> > Here's what I carry (aside from my normal hiking gear like food,
> > water, clothing, and ice ax). Basically its my Lowepro bag, fairly
> > large one to fit my C720, a fresh(er) set of batteries, a semi-clean
> > rag , and a backup memory stick. Its a nice setup I think, aside
> > from the suspenders of course, cause I only have to flip open the top
> > of my bag and pull out my camera. It has a tendency to snag on
> > branches or get caught on rocks but the bag is pretty sturdy really
> > and I was amazed at just how waterproof it is - it managed to keep my
> > camera dry after hiking 15 miles in the pouring rain.
> >
> > Still, I've been hiking for about 20 years now and I've only seen 2
> > people lugging around tripods or extra lenses for their cameras. Do
> > people actually carry that stuff with them on hikes or is that too
> > much effort?

> Eigenvector:
>
> When hiking and backcountry skiing with my Nikon Coolpix 3100, I bring the
> following:
>
> 1) Lowepro case (DRes 10AW)
> 2) Extra set on NiMH batteries
> 3) Extra memory card
> 4) Lens cleaning supplies
>
> Steve

I'm using a Lowepro TL Z Mini, it fits the camera alright, which is good
since the size of the C720 with the lens extended approaches the size of a
good 35mm camera. But I do notice that the camera does flop around a
little, doesn't seem to hurt it sitting in the bag - lens pointed up. I
can't seem to find a bag that is a bit slimmer, but allows me to position
the camera in an easy to grab location. So far the TL Z Mini is the only
one I like.

Daniel M

"Eigenvector" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ZBPXa.18$(E-Mail Removed)...
> For all the hikers in this group, what do you guys typically carry with

you
> when going on a short day hike (say 10 miles) or maybe a 2 day backpack?

> was thinking about this when I took a short hike up the Pac Crest Trail.
> The whole time I had my camera belted to my hip and I was having a heck of

> time keeping my pants from falling down - had to go out and buy suspenders
> just to support my camera bag. Granted the belt I was using was too big

for
> me and had stretched out from sweat and water but still how much camera

gear
> would you take with you on a day or short backpacking trip?
>
> Here's what I carry (aside from my normal hiking gear like food, water,
> clothing, and ice ax). Basically its my Lowepro bag, fairly large one to
> fit my C720, a fresh(er) set of batteries, a semi-clean rag , and a backup
> memory stick. Its a nice setup I think, aside from the suspenders of
> course, cause I only have to flip open the top of my bag and pull out my
> camera. It has a tendency to snag on branches or get caught on rocks but
> the bag is pretty sturdy really and I was amazed at just how waterproof it
> is - it managed to keep my camera dry after hiking 15 miles in the pouring
> rain.
>
> Still, I've been hiking for about 20 years now and I've only seen 2 people
> lugging around tripods or extra lenses for their cameras. Do people
> actually carry that stuff with them on hikes or is that too much effort?

When I go walking all my stuff goes in a backpack with my camera on my hip
like you say.
In my backpack I carry spare batterys, spare CF card, bottle of water, and
yes, the tripod lol, dont notice the tripod too much when its on your back,
and with shaky hands like mine, sometimes its a godsend.
Have also been considering adding some kind of bandage as theres alot of
snakes where I go walking, perhaps i should also be carrying a stick of some
kind

Eigenvector

"Daniel M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Eigenvector" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ZBPXa.18$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > For all the hikers in this group, what do you guys typically carry with

> you
> > when going on a short day hike (say 10 miles) or maybe a 2 day backpack?

> > was thinking about this when I took a short hike up the Pac Crest Trail.
> > The whole time I had my camera belted to my hip and I was having a heck

of
> > time keeping my pants from falling down - had to go out and buy

suspenders
> > just to support my camera bag. Granted the belt I was using was too big

> for
> > me and had stretched out from sweat and water but still how much camera

> gear
> > would you take with you on a day or short backpacking trip?
> >
> > Here's what I carry (aside from my normal hiking gear like food, water,
> > clothing, and ice ax). Basically its my Lowepro bag, fairly large one

> > fit my C720, a fresh(er) set of batteries, a semi-clean rag , and a

backup
> > memory stick. Its a nice setup I think, aside from the suspenders of
> > course, cause I only have to flip open the top of my bag and pull out my
> > camera. It has a tendency to snag on branches or get caught on rocks

but
> > the bag is pretty sturdy really and I was amazed at just how waterproof

it
> > is - it managed to keep my camera dry after hiking 15 miles in the

pouring
> > rain.
> >
> > Still, I've been hiking for about 20 years now and I've only seen 2

people
> > lugging around tripods or extra lenses for their cameras. Do people
> > actually carry that stuff with them on hikes or is that too much effort?
> >

> When I go walking all my stuff goes in a backpack with my camera on my hip
> like you say.
> In my backpack I carry spare batterys, spare CF card, bottle of water, and
> yes, the tripod lol, dont notice the tripod too much when its on your

back,
> and with shaky hands like mine, sometimes its a godsend.
> Have also been considering adding some kind of bandage as theres alot of
> snakes where I go walking, perhaps i should also be carrying a stick of

some
> kind

My hickory walking stick has been a tremendous help on some of the lowland
hikes that I've done. It takes pressure off your ankles and knees when the
distance gets long and really seems to improve my distance performance. On
rocky and/or steep terrain is just seems to get in the way and at least for
me is more of a hinderance than a help. I shove it in next to the ice ax
when climbing or decending steep terrain.